Greetings pit,

So I plan on studying abroad next year. I know that I want to go to Australia, but I've had a hard time making up my mind on which specific university I want to apply for. The choices are:

University of Adelaide
U of Melbourne
U of New South Wales
U of Queensland
U of Western Australia
U of Wollongong
Griffith University
Australian National University

I'm sure this is going to be a great experience no matter what, I just really want to pick the right one and am having a hard time deciding. So anyone that's studied abroad: what did you research that was helpful and after the fact, what did you wish you had researched.

Also anyone that goes to these Universities, your input/comments are appreciated
[]
Quote by supersac
i wanna study two broads...

that was no help and now i feel bad

haha, it's fine, it was kinda funny
[]
NSW is probably the best uni in the country, if that helps (inb4 Melbourne defense squad )
EDIT: Also, why Wollongong and not Newcastle?
WOLLONGONG represent
"Could I have egg, sausage, chips and beans, and a tea." - Nick Mason
What's your major?

In general, U of NSW will give you the best overseas experience. What with all the touristy stuff in Sydney etc.

But I'd also pay attention to the academic strengths of the university you apply to, just to make sure you get worthwhile credit etc.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
To my knowledge Griffith is decent (my cousins went there and came out with PHDs, my auntie wouldn't let them go to an average uni haha). Brisbane or Gold Coast, pretty awesome places to study. If you come to Brissie we can jam

Either that or Melbourne. Melbourne kicks serious arse.
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
Depends what you want to study. For example, if you want to study Engineering then University Of Adelaide is the place.

Also, I go to UofA and it's an amazing campus.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by 3lusiv3
NSW is probably the best uni in the country, if that helps (inb4 Melbourne defense squad )
EDIT: Also, why Wollongong and not Newcastle?

Those are just the choices that I'm given by my study abroad office.

For all those asking: I'm a psychology major with a business minor. But the thing is that none of my classes are going to directly transfer. My remaining required classes have to be taken on campus (really dumb), but I'll still get elective credit hours for whatever classes I take abroad.
[]
Quote by LesThanPaul

For all those asking: I'm a psychology major with a business minor. But the thing is that none of my classes are going to directly transfer. My remaining required classes have to be taken on campus (really dumb), but I'll still get elective credit hours for whatever classes I take abroad.

It's an odd system they use.
I have this American chick in one of my classes who's doing teaching, but because there are teaching method differences between Aus and the US, they forbid her from doing any teaching courses over here, so she's doing a year of sociology.
Quote by LesThanPaul

In this case I will change my suggestion to Griffith, we have are one of the better schools in the country for both humanities and business, so that kind of fits nicely.

Plus if you land yourself a spot at the gold coast you'll get all the joy of beaches and sun etc.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Quote by 3lusiv3
It's an odd system they use.
I have this American chick in one of my classes who's doing teaching, but because there are teaching method differences between Aus and the US, they forbid her from doing any teaching courses over here, so she's doing a year of sociology.

Ya, I go to University of Illinois and that kind of stuff depends on your major. There are some majors that can have classes directly transfer and others that can't. It's fine for me though because I'm ahead of schedule in my program. So while I can take major related classes for knowledge, I'm going more for the experience.
[]
I'm heading to Griffith to do Psych Science in July, from what I've heard about it they have a pretty good standing reputation and good student turnout into employment.
Quote by supersac
i wanna study two broads...

that was no help and now i feel bad

Goddamn you, I was going to make that joke.

I would recommend probably not coming to Adelaide. I'm at The University of South Australia right now, and while it is good, there are much better schools in Victoria and Queensland.
melbourne, or better new south wales. dont go griffith or ANU if you want a fun time hah
----------------------------------------

Quote by Jacob6293
why couldn't the boy with only seven toes eat his own feet?

he was lack toes intolerant!!!!!!!

Quote by lzcougarz3
Mom keeps me clinically obese so I won't run away.
Quote by 'Leviathan'

Goddamn you, I was going to make that joke.

I would recommend probably not coming to Adelaide. I'm at The University of South Australia right now, and while it is good, there are much better schools in Victoria and Queensland.

UniSA =/= University Of Adelaide. UoA are obviously far superior...

/typical UoA elitist

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
ANU is a truly excellent university, and it is the best over-all university that Australia has.

UNSW is also amazing. It's similar in prestige to Sydney University, which is where everyone wants to go. If you're studying law, there is no question - you want to go to UNSW.

U of Queensland is great. I am good friends with the daughter of the Dean of Admissions at UQ, and there's really no doubt that it's a great facility. Same story with U of Melbourne.

Griffith is quite good. It's much easier to get into, and much more social than UNSW and ANU, which I would describe as being more well-defined institutes.

I can't comment on the other three universities, since I know far less about them. I would assume that UWA would be great for law, since a lot of great lawyers seem to end up in Perth. However, the two things could be entirely unrelated.
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Quote by Zero-Hartman
UniSA =/= University Of Adelaide. UoA are obviously far superior...

/typical UoA elitist

ALL of my friends who went to UoA have the exact same attitude.
Quote by 'Leviathan'
ALL of my friends who went to UoA have the exact same attitude.

I'm not too bad, I honestly don't care which Uni you go to. A friend of mine annoys all my UniSA mates with it though on purpose, because he thinks it's funny

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by LesThanPaul
Greetings pit,

So I plan on studying abroad next year. I know that I want to go to Australia, but I've had a hard time making up my mind on which specific university I want to apply for. The choices are:

University of Adelaide
U of Melbourne
U of New South Wales
U of Queensland
U of Western Australia
U of Wollongong
Griffith University
Australian National University

I'm sure this is going to be a great experience no matter what, I just really want to pick the right one and am having a hard time deciding. So anyone that's studied abroad: what did you research that was helpful and after the fact, what did you wish you had researched.

Also anyone that goes to these Universities, your input/comments are appreciated

ANU is the best academical but is full of nerds.

U of Melbourne is sick, go there
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I'm currently at UNSW, with most of my friends either there or in USYD, and really both are damn good unis. I'm doing a Bachelor of Commerce for now at UNSW, might transfer into Law depending on marks but probably just going to do it post-grad. But yeah, Sydney is a brilliant place, weather is nice (better than Melbourne, stupid weather over there can't make up it's mind), good people, good public transport system. So yeah, UNSW all the way!
Quote by Riffofthebeast
hitler could have conquered the entire world if he just sent an assasin to every enemy country and have their leader assasinated
Last edited by mario61 at May 10, 2011,
UWA is great for law and science, i cant really comment on the others

But man dont come to Perth, we get extremely hot weather in summer with high humidity, its pretty disgusting. This March we had an average of 12 hours of sunlight a day, sure that would be alright if it wouldnt burn your skin as soon as you see it.

I recommend going to Melbourne, they have a great AFL culture, which i think would be a good experience for an over-seas student
lol:
Quote by Metallizach
your not alone. I am a chronic procrasturbator (meaning I put off things I should be doing, and fill that time masturbating)

DAVID GILMOUR IS GOD
uni of melbourne is one of the best universities in the country, and melbourne is amazing for many many reasons, so you should come here!

i am serious though, i did a study abroad program to canada a few years ago. i went to a great uni in a large town, and whilst i had an awesome time, in hindsight i probably should have chosen a uni located in a major city even if it might not have been a better school. there would have been more to do & see outside uni and it would have been easier to travel to the rest of the country if i was based in the city.
from daylight...
...into darkness
Thanks to everyone who commented. I've narrowed it down to Griffith and Melbourne (or possibly UNSW). From what I gathered from the comments and read here at my study abroad office from students who went to those places, those seem like they would be the best fit.
[]