First of all I have to say that I'm very new to all this stuff and I've been trying to teach myself. Forgive anything I say thats ignorant and/or stupid.

My rough idea for a build is a black or white telecaster, with a GFS Retrotron in the bridge

http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Retrotron-Nashville-Vintage-Humbucker-Gold_c_138.html

and no pickup in the neck. Volume/tone controls. Gold hardware, some kind of GFS tuners, and possibly binding and/or a matching finish on the headstock. It would be cool if I could find a tele body with a trem of some kind, but I'm leaning towards hardtail for simplicity's sake. Here go questions (and if I missed anything in what I just described, correct me).

1. If I buy a tele body with the typical spacing, how tough is it to re-route it for a humbucker sized pickup?

2. Besides Rondo and GFS, are there any places to buy cheap bodies and necks?

3. Can a decent binding on the body be accomplished by just taping and painting?

4. How much soldering experience would be needed to just do a 1 pickup tone/volume wiring? Could I do it myself, or would I be better off letting a professional do it?

Thats all my questions for now. Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by icanhasgodmode
Check out www.warmoth.com

Probably out of my price range for the most part. Definitely something I would want to look at if my first build goes well though.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Seriously, you'd be amazed at the stuff you can buy on eBay. It may sound stupid I know, but if you pick the right stuff and don't buy off people with bad feedback then you'll get some really good stuff.

A few years ago I built a strat, agathis wood body, satin finish maple neck, 70s fender single coil pickups, the whole thing came to less than £120 and is easily as good as if not better than a branded fender. Not just my words by the way, I've had plenty of techs ask me how I managed it :P

As long as you're careful and watch where you buy from then you won't have any trouble, although it may take some time to find something that ticks the right boxes

As for soldering? There's not much at all! For wiring a guitar there really is minimal soldering, especially for fewer pickups. If you were doing a strat style with 3 pickups and a 5 way selector, that's a fair bit more wiring. 2 pickups and a 3 way selector isn't too bad. 1 pickup you can do with your eyes closed. Tone and volume pots aren't too big a problem. Really the only problem is that the pots soak up the heat from the iron really fast, so you may find it difficult to get to solder to stick initially. It won't take long to get the hang of it
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Last edited by makutoid at May 10, 2011,
Bump. I placed a bid on a Squier Avril Lavigne telecaster body (facepalm) at least I won't have to do any routing on the body. Now I'm on the lookout for a good neck.
Quote by souperman08

1. If I buy a tele body with the typical spacing, how tough is it to re-route it for a humbucker sized pickup?
As long as you have a template and the proper routing bit, and you make sure to take proper measurements, not hard at all.

2. Besides Rondo and GFS, are there any places to buy cheap bodies and necks?
Ebay, craigslist, UG gear ads.

3. Can a decent binding on the body be accomplished by just taping and painting?
Meh, i think faux binding looks bad unless it's natural flamed maple on a dyed top.

4. How much soldering experience would be needed to just do a 1 pickup tone/volume wiring? Could I do it myself, or would I be better off letting a professional do it?
Practice a little bit with some scrap parts or wire first. It's really not hard at all once you understand what your doing.

Thats all my questions for now. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

In red. Your welcome.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.