I've been looking at a second gigging amp for a while now. I've looked at Carvins, Oranges, Marshalls, Hiwatts, Laneys and more. While all have their merits, it's very tough to find them on here on the used market, much less for a good price! While my budget for a Fryette is still going up, I was on Gumtree yesterday and found an offer I couldn't pass up.

REVIEW:

This thing is everything it has been described. At first I noticed the fizzyness in the upper range people commonly complain about, but running through a Randall 4x12 with V30's it was a good kind of growl, it has that Marshallesque growl that is also commonly associated with this amp. My mate recently bought a Dual Rectifier, and this thing will certainly give it a run for it's money.

I haven't gotten to mess around with the clean channel too much yet, but it's definitely more useable than my 6505+. The second channel has got to be my favourite. It has a darker but still clear tone that the third channel sort of loses at higher gain. I am looking forward to doing some sound clips VS the 6505. The guy has dropped 3 Tung Sol AX7's in the preamp and a Mullard NOS AT7 in V1 so the fizz isn't as bad as it would be stock.
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at May 10, 2011,
You bought that guys Peavey XXX didn't you.

Bastard...!
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Last edited by Mopy at May 10, 2011,
Quote by AxSilentxLine

I had my eyes on that, way to ruin my evening...

How is it? Great I bet... Happy NAD you filthy rotten amp stealing fanny!

ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
haha xD

congratz :claphands:

Mopy: he is going to sell it i guess xD haha
when he opens his shop, you can get a great UG-discount i guess XD

HNAD!!

how much did it cost and what's the normal selling price?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
haha xD

HNAD!!

I picked it up for $600 but I usually see them going for over $1000 down here.

Quote by Tunder250
haha xD

HNAD!!

It was listed for $700, but I'm guessing that Silent got it cheaper since he has the thieving skills of a trained hitman. Which so happens to be a great deal over here in Australia.

EDIT:

Silent, the XXX looks broken. Place it at an arranged location and I'll fix it up for you.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Last edited by Mopy at May 10, 2011,
$600?

At first I was like
because they go for around $400 all the time.

but then I realized you live in Australia. And the way amp prices there are, that doesn't seem to bad.

Happy NAD too. I bet it sounds great.
Quote by Ignite
$600?

At first I was like
because they go for around $400 all the time.

but then I realized you live in Australia. And the way amp prices there are, that doesn't seem to bad.

Happy NAD too. I bet it sounds great.

Yeah you usually see them for around $1000 - $1200 over here
great!!!!!

give us some clips
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
I've been aching for a XXX for a long time, superior to the 6505 in my opinion.

Congrats!
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Peavey overload!!!!!

HNAD
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
that faceplate is offensive to mud flaps.

nice score, pretty epic deal down under.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
HNAD! Score!

Guitars:
Charvel USA San Dimas | Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads | Jackson DK2M Dinky | Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight | Fender MIM Sunburst Tele

Amp:
Jet City JCA100HDM | Framus CS 2x12
Thats sex man awesome
hnad
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
After looking at the picture, I ask you this: Have you tried cranking the channel volumes and just using the master volume as your volume? i would set the crunch and ultra volumes around 3:00 and I felt like it sounded better than having them low with the master high.

It's a great amp though. I sold my 5150 after I bought mine haha.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Now just think.

After you buy the Fryette...... all these amps and posts will seem meaningless.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
HNAD man, I have an XXX, and it's pretty hoss, the crunch channel is a bit dark and a bit "muffled" sounding IMO, but certainly usable, wanna trade some settings?
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Inanez: Yeah I actually leave the channel volumes cranked and adjust the master.

Maddnotez: haha yeah I was thinking that but since I have my home studio coming along I will hold onto them for now

Metalmaker: Yeah man I noticed that too but I like it like that. I'm a big fan of the 2 channel dual recto so dark voicing is my thing. My 6505+ is wayyy brighter
Ha HNAD!

I played a handful of these back in the day and everyone I came across was imo perfect tone for metal. Also, this was an amp Jeff Loomis used for Nevermore a couple albums.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Saw Duran Duran use this amp on their latest live DVD (Live In London)
Thought I'ld mention this just to rain on your parade
J/K I love Duran Duran
Quote by Business
Saw Duran Duran use this amp on their latest live DVD (Live In London)
Thought I'ld mention this just to rain on your parade
J/K I love Duran Duran

haha that's definitely not a bad thing I don't subscribe to the "z0mg if it's not uber br00tz it's t3h sucks" school of thought
Quote by AxSilentxLine
haha that's definitely not a bad thing I don't subscribe to the "z0mg if it's not uber br00tz it's t3h sucks" school of thought

Cool, to me DD (Andy Taylor) using it is just a sign of it versatility and solid build.
Congratz and HNAD. Just sorry you can't get them a bit cheaper over there. When I was looking to get a new amp (my first big amp) I was mostly looking at Marshall's just based on reputation. I kinda looked down on Peavey a bit. But I was buying a lot of gear, and had already spent $2,000.00 US on pedals and board, etc. While I was looking at the Peavey's as a way to save money, I spotted an amp that was WAY underpriced, but I knew little about it. It was a JSX 212 Combo. I saw it sitting there and saw the price was marked as $800.00 (that's $1,000.00 US under list). So I decided to give it a serious look. I find out it was the display model and they were discontinuing it, then they discovered they had lost the footswitch so they dropped it another $400.00. After looking online and finding the switch for $83.00, I pounced on it like a polar bear on a baby seal . So I ended up with a really nice amp, that was EXACTLY what I was looking for. So far, I really love it, but I need a place to use it (in the apartment guarantees visits from PO-PO ). So out of curiosity, you have any clue what the JSX 212 Combo. would cost there?

PS. When I was younger and in the navy, we ported in Perth and Sydney, you near either of those cities?
Nice score. $400 for a JSX is insane. A new JSX is about $3000 here. There's an ex demo like yours at guitar.com.au for $1800. Our dollar is worth just a few cents more than yours so those prices are comparable in your terms (except for the fact that we get paid more). Have a look here for a guide:
http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/peavey/index.htm
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thx., but to clarify, I spent $800.00 US on the amp. It lists at 1,800, normally sells at GC for 1,500, was clearenced at 1,200, then dropped to 800 cuz the pedal switch. Still a great deal IMHO.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread .
if you raise the hair knob on the amp does it rip your hair off more equal to how high to turn it?

HNAD looks great but not my piece of cake i think.
Quote by wolvenrick
if you raise the hair knob on the amp does it rip your hair off more equal to how high to turn it?

HNAD looks great but not my piece of cake i think.

Don't judge a book by it's cover this thing is a real tone machine
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Don't judge a book by it's cover this thing is a real tone machine

i know but peavey generally are more high gain amps aren't they?
correct me if wrong just what i heard about them only played a valveking myself.
Very nice, I've always wanted to try one of these.

Side note: My NADs are always for adults only.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by wolvenrick
i know but peavey generally are more high gain amps aren't they?
correct me if wrong just what i heard about them only played a valveking myself.

VK =/= high gain amp ( without modding )

peavey also makes great amps for blues and soft rock
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30