Apart from the fairly obvious ones (Epiphone and the better Squier models) what are the best bang for your buck guitars avaliable in the UK for under £250?

Im acutely aware of a few companies in America such as Rondomusic with Agile Guitars and Guitar Fetish with Xaviere Guitars (http://tinyurl.com/6ybmw2g ) who offer some axes that are really impressive for the price, but which arent available over the pond. Does the UK have any equivelants?

Personally Im looking for another cheap axe (and im GASing for a Les Paul Goldtop at the moment, so might want a cheapo version) to learn to play right handed on (ambidextrous FTW).
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Tanglewood do some nice stuff, not sure about their Les Pauls though

Tbh for a Les Paul I think Epi might be the best bet IMO, obviously there is probably alternatives, but non spring to my mind
Not sure what their prices are like in the UK, but I got a decent Schecter for $200 or $250 here in Australia... obviously they aren't going to sound like a million-dollar guitar, but it doesn't sound too bad at all. I guess it depends on what you want to play, but I learnt on my Schecter and it was fine.
Yamaha, Washburn.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by joeyowen
Tanglewood do some nice stuff, not sure about their Les Pauls though

Tbh for a Les Paul I think Epi might be the best bet IMO, obviously there is probably alternatives, but non spring to my mind

i tried the les paul of tanglewood...quite nice
Quote by '93
i tried the les paul of tanglewood...quite nice

its good to hear, I had an acoustic and a strat costing a total of £75 second hand for both. With a lil TLC (changing the slippy tuners for one) they would be great!
Schector's aren't too cheap in the UK because of the cost if importing them increases the price. In the UK, they aren't anything special compared to anything else at their pricepoint. Vintage are decent guitars for the money. I would try to avoid cheap Epiphones though.

EDIT: Agiles are not a viable option either in the UK because Rondo's shipping charge is very high.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 10, 2011,
For a good top lp.

Vintage.

Unless you find a 2nd hand epiphone.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
So people have had good experiences with Vintage then? I tried a Westfield a while ago and it was pretty horrible to be honest and when I first seen Vintages going for cheap on eBay I thought they would be the same, there are so many LP and Strat ripoffs for beginners its hard to know which are worth looking at. still jealous of the budget guitars you americans can get though.
Last edited by Hydra150 at May 10, 2011,
Definitely Vintage. I had one as my first guitar, it was a great choice.
Vintage, Indie and Shine all make decent stuff for the money you pay, also the Chapman ML2 .
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The Vintage V100GT looks nice, specially for only 206 quid. http://www.bem-music.com/list.pl?id=112283 Has anyone compared one of these with their Epiphone counterparts? Would it be worth paying over 100 quid extra for the Epi LP (Golttop w/ p90s)?

Another thing that concerns me a bit - does anyone know how good the gold finish is on cheaper guitars? How much would it differ from the finish on this for example http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/g...-gold-top.html? (which is what I would get if I had a job, or received a sizeable donation from an anonymous UGer)
The better Vintage guitars are basically the same as Epiphones just you save a bit of money because of the name on the headstock. Their stock pickups are a little better too.

As far as how "good" the finish is, gold top is one of the easiest finishes to do. No cheaper finish will look like one on a pricey Gibson or PRS because cheaper guitars use poly finishes which are thicker and glossier. That's one of the many things you pay for when you do shell out for a high-end guitar, the nicer looking finish. But if those guitars are out of your price range then you don't have much of a choice, really. Vintage's gold top finish is no better or worse than the gold top finish that Epiphone do, ESP LTD's line, the average Tokais, Agile, whatever. Most of the Chinese, Indonesian and Korean brands are handled by the same couple of factories and the guitars are almost all the same except for the name on the headstock. Don't worry about it. If you want to be smart with your cash, grab the Vintage. If you really want to rest assured that you have the body outline and general look as close to the real thing as possible then pay that little bit more for the Epiphone. Or save up a grand and a half and get the Gibson, that's pretty much what it all comes down to in the end.
Cheers, I think Ill get the vitage. And If I really wanted it to be more like a GIbson I would probably fo Tokai actually, the shape is the same but the Headstock shape is closer to the Gibson. But money is an issue as Im buying a guitar I cant yet play (its righthanded) and I cant be certain if Ill have the patience to teach myself to play righthanded, so vintage seems to be the best option. If I were buying a lefty guitar Id save for one of those sexy 750 quid Gibson les paul 60s tributes.
Last edited by Hydra150 at May 10, 2011,
Richwood. Absolutely brilliant guitars.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by Hydra150
Cheers, I think Ill get the vitage. And If I really wanted it to be more like a GIbson I would probably fo Tokai actually, the shape is the same but the Headstock shape is closer to the Gibson. But money is an issue as Im buying a guitar I cant yet play (its righthanded) and I cant be certain if Ill have the patience to teach myself to play righthanded, so vintage seems to be the best option. If I were buying a lefty guitar Id save for one of those sexy 750 quid Gibson les paul 60s tributes.

Erm...Both Vintage and Tokai both left-handed guitars. =/
Quote by jpcl
Erm...Both Vintage and Tokai both left-handed guitars. =/

I know, I have several left handed guitars and can play them very well, however I want to be able to play right handed aswell, therfore Im looking for a cheapish right handed guitar to add to my collection so I can teach myself at least the basics on it.

Quote by ChrisN
Richwood. Absolutely brilliant guitars.

Funny you mention them as I was just on their site looking at their thinline telecaster copies, they look good but I havent really heard of them (beyond the eBay search I did twenty minutes ago) How much is that beautiful LP Tree of Life you have pics of in your profile? Doesnt seem to be on their website, and I imagine its much higher end than the ones im looking at.
Well, I can say, since I own a Vintage, that I'm just suprised at how good they are period. Let alone for the price. The finish has been made with a lot of care, and the neck is fast and comfortable on my LVS6 (left-hand SG model).

I am kinda perplexed at you wanting to spend money on a guitar just to learn how to play right-handed, but oh well. Vintage may not have £50 guitars, but you can be sure that they are at least cheap and very good (and in your budget of £250).

If you do however buy a SG model like mind, and then decide that you wanna quit the right-handed playing scheme, you can always just buy a new nut for the guitar, swap the strings for left-handed, and play even stood up if wanted/needed, since SG's strap screws are located behind the body at the very middle.
Last edited by jpcl at May 10, 2011,
Quote by Hydra150
How much is that beautiful LP Tree of Life you have pics of in your profile? Doesnt seem to be on their website, and I imagine its much higher end than the ones im looking at.
If I remember correctly, mine is the 2007 model; they only made 24 of each of 7 designs. The RRP on the site at the time was £920 but were selling at £460.

That said, I emailed them around 18 months ago just to ask about the cheaper ones on the site to see how they compared. They invited me along to the factory/warehouse so I got to play some. Fair enough they're not AS good but still very well made. If anything, a pickup swap could be welcome, but the stock ones are more than adequate for a beginner.
404: Sig not found.
Last edited by ChrisN at May 11, 2011,
I was watching an auction that ended earlier today of an ML1 that went for 120 quid with only one bidder. Didnt go for it though, kinda regretting it but Im not looking for a strat style guitar (already got two black strat style guitars so im looking for a singlecut most likely).

Might wait till the ML2s appear and see if they reduce the price like they did the ML1, or see if they start going for like 200 quid on eBay after a few months, especially if I can grab a lefty one.

Good shout though
yeah i saw that, if i didnt have a carvin on the way i would grab the one going for £130.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb