Poll: How impressionable are you?
Poll Options
View poll results: How impressionable are you?
10 - I am basically someone else
8 6%
0 0%
6 5%
12 9%
19 15%
20 15%
21 16%
33 25%
4 3%
1 - I literally don't take any notice of anyone / anything else
8 6%
Voters: 131.
Page 1 of 2
I must admit, I am pretty impressionable with regard to certain things. Especially clothes. If I see someone in a film or a band or whatever wearing something that looks pretty snazzy, I wouldn't say I try and emulate that look, but I certainly borrow off it.

Also, I remember, when I was about 15/16 I read Catcher In The Rye, and really bought into the whole teenage-angst thing, and I am became incredibly cynical, presuming everyone and everything to be "phony" (but I suppose that was a natural, teenage thing in hindsight).

Anyway, how impressionable are you? With regards to anything; the way you dress, act, think, portray yourself etc. Give examples.
Last edited by fender_696 at May 10, 2011,
I really like to see other people's views on things, and it influences me a lot of the time, but I always stay close to what I am.
I pretty much have my own style. I mean, it's definitely a rocker style, but it's not really in line with anyone else's way of dressing.
I'm like a dollop of hot wax.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Gone for 5. In a fashion sense im almost never decide to get something just because someone else has it.

On the other hand.....check my gear pics.....
I keep an open-mind and give everything a chance, I like what I like.
It's important to listen to others and consider their points of view.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
I'm assuming impressionable means how much you copy others. I'd say I'm about a 7. I copy others easily, and I become influenced easily.

For example, I will copy the language and walking style of my friends to some extent. but I'm not even doing it to fit in. I really don't know why I do that.

I don't copy their musical tastes or dressing style though. I listen to what I like, and in the case of dressing, I wear what I want, which is usually what is the most comfortable.
My opinions are definitely my own and I'm not completely original with the way I dress but it doesn't look like I copy others.

I'm not too sure about everything else though.
cat
I voted 10, everything we do is based on something someone else did, everything we see and do affects us at least on a subconscious level.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by magnus_maximus
Hiya David Hume, hiya pal!

We wondered if anyone would pick up on this, but of course someone would as we're all just a collective anyway
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Voted 1

I'm just not impressionable.

That's not to say I don't recognise the truth when I'm told it. For instance, I was just looking at CDs of Blizzard of Ozz and reading negative reviews of the re-recording of the bass and guitar parts. Knowing this would certainly rule out my buying the re-recorded version.

Have I been influenced by the bad reviews? Yes. Does this make me impressionable? No. I have merely recognised truth.

No doubt subconscious influences play a part but that is too complex to unravel.

So it's a 1.
Quote by fender_696
I must admit, I am pretty impressionable with regard to certain things. Especially clothes. If I someone in a film or a band or whatever wearing something that looks pretty snazzy, I wouldn't say I try and emulate that look, but I certainly borrow off it.

I do this.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I just kinda do what I feel like.
Other people may or may not have influence on that, I don't really care enough to examine that in detail, although I do find that after reading a particurlarly engrossing book I pick up characterstics of a particularly memorable character in it for a while.
THIS IS A LARGE DISTRACTING SIGNATURE.
After saying that I have been trying to hunt down a pair of sunglasses I saw someone wearing.
I used to be pretty impressional, though nowadays I feel like I´m more ME and less trying to copy other people. I just do what I want and like and don´t look for external input to guide me.

Ironically, I got that mindset from someone else. Soooo......
The corners of your mouth feel dry and rather itchy, don't they?

(oh god, I just noticed this one) Your penis is never quite comfortable in its current position.

oh btw:
manual blinking activated
I try to think for myself and make my own decisions, but I know I'm heavily influenced by my family's and friends' opinions...so I voted 5.
Schecter C-1 Elite-->BOSS ME-20-->B-52 AT100 2x12

Quote by laid-to-waste
Extremely attractive woman.
extremely attractive
oh baby
EDIT: you're a guy. shit.
...an extremely attractive guy.
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Since I few months ago I used to base almost everything on other people's opinions. But at the start of the year I basically said screw it I'll do what I want. Since then I wear and do what I want. I wore a baseball cap when I went out with my friends and they ripped it out of me because of it (apparently they're not cool?) but I don't care anymore
It's not how big your pencil is; it's how you write your name.
Quote by MrRockandRoll
Since I few months ago I used to base almost everything on other people's opinions. But at the start of the year I basically said screw it I'll do what I want. Since then I wear and do what I want. I wore a baseball cap when I went out with my friends and they ripped it out of me because of it (apparently they're not cool?) but I don't care anymore

MY GOD! I MUST GET A BASEBALL CAP!!
In terms of the physical side of things, I've pretty much dressed the same way since I was 13 (7 years) and wear my hair the same, kinda just a bigger version of myself with facial hair. On the mental/emotional side of things, if I take anything in, I tend to analyse the shit out of it, being the huge sceptic I am, and end up tossing it back. Particularly when people preach philosophical/political/religious ideals my way.

For the amount off thinking I do, I don't have many impressions in the end
Check out my Black/Death metal band!
galadh.bandcamp.com

Quote by StewieSwan
I had unprotected sex with an underage, pro-life, christian girl. Beat that.

Quote by Kill0Switch
I voted 1 because everyone else did.

But most people voted 3
It's not how big your pencil is; it's how you write your name.
Slightly when relating to fashion.

Thats it though

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I checked to see what everyone else was voting before I voted.

:trollface:
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Didn't vote, because I honestly don't think I'm qualified to say, but I assume about 5.
Im a stand up comedian, i either leave em laughing or annoy them. Either way i make an impression quite strongly
xxx

killing is my business... and business is good
I wear what's pratical to me for what I do. I'm an automotive mechanic, so I wear some pretty rugged cloths, blue jeans, heavy cotton T-shirt, steel toe boots. I really don't care what other people are wearing, and I'm not affected by people's criticism of what I wear.

To sum it up, I don't give a damn.
Quote by MrRockandRoll
But most people voted 3

Yeah well I actually voted 4... :P
My name is Jack.
No one should have voted 1. That is absurd. The way we interact with the world from the time we were a fetus is directly and almost exclusively shaped by social cues (excusing biological influence), be it consciously or subconsciously. If you are "your own person" and truly an "individual", you made that decision based on assessing the alternative (emulation) and choosing the contrary as a reaction. Even the very concept of "who you are" is an amalgamation of small choices you make based on how you want to represent yourself to others. You make these decisions by seeing possible qualities in external influences and choosing whether or not to adopt these things in your schema. If you choose none, you've been influenced by the fact that you don't like the options presented--hence still external influence.

If you want to argue the intricacies of the meaning of the word "impressionable", that's another matter. But even then, you're likely to be splitting hairs, and coming up with an arbitrarily defined divergence between being impressionable and being influenced.
Everyone is someone else.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Page 1 of 2