Hey peeps,

My mate has got himself a banjo and wanted to be able to plug it in to our PA. The cheapest option was to buy one of these - http://www.maplin.co.uk/piezo-transducers-3202 - and wire it to a female jack that we had knocking about.

This works fine and was cheap as chips. Ace.

Now some of the pitfalls are becoming clear. Primarily, he has no control over the volume, and this can cause problems when trying to deal with feedback and muting between songs etc.

Is there are way I can add a normal guitar pot in order to create a volume control?

And expanding on from this, can I also add some kind of tone control? Probably not with this cheap piezo solution, but I thought I'd ask.

A bit of internet researching/browsing, led me to this - http://www.thomann.de/gb/artec_active_booster_aktive_elektronik.htm - could that be used alongside the Piezo transducer that we've installed?

Many thanks team.
Serious answer:

You should be able to use a normal guitar pot and tone control. The piezo outputs the same kind of signal that a normal pickup does. The preamp you linked to would work, but it would be overkill for what you're looking for. If you need a schematic, we can help you out
Dimebomb - Yeah, we've looked at a few pedal based options. EQ pedal and volume pedal being necessities, but we're trying to limit the amount of things we need to carry around and plug in, so just for volume, and maybe tone control, something integrated to the banjo would be much better.

Mastaphoo - I was doing a bit of reading and was under the impression that the impedence from the piezo was too high to simply use the usual guitar style wiring? If you could link me to a suitable schematic that would be ace.


EDIT: It might not be cheap, but this looks like a good solution - http://www.thomann.de/gb/shadow_acp1_aktiver_vorverstaerker.htm
Last edited by machin05 at May 10, 2011,