http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-QaFWURsMU
The fast one you hear right in the beginning and all the analogs in other songs. You can see this kind of riffs often. How should I pick it? I have since been doing downpicks as I'm a huge Metallica fan, but it doesn't seem economic and will probably set me back when encountering more complex riffs of the kind.
So, how should I play it?
Thanks!
Last edited by Amarant at May 10, 2011,
I play that with down picking - it's not really that fast. You could alternate/trem pick it if you wanted, though.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Could you write it down please? I don't really understand how to alternate that.
Pick one note up, pick the next down, repeat.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Wouldn't it be better to pick all the notes on the lowest string down and the ones on the A string up? Or vice versa?
I guess that's possible, but I personally find it easier when you get into the constant up-down rhythm for anything.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
Quote by Amarant
Wouldn't it be better to pick all the notes on the lowest string down and the ones on the A string up? Or vice versa?

Yes, so just start it with an upstroke.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

I wouldn't call Unholy Confessions metalcore really.

But anyway, just downstroke it. I know how to play that song and the intro riff I play with downstrokes and it's easy enough
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
Quote by Brownerz
I wouldn't call Unholy Confessions metalcore really.

But anyway, just downstroke it. I know how to play that song and the intro riff I play with downstrokes and it's easy enough

I'm not talking about that particular song. You meet that type of riff in metalcore very often and that's why I want to play it as efficient as possible. Sometimes there is the higher D string or even G string involved and that would be too much to play with downstrokes only. If you think practically, downstroking just is pointless and more energy consuming.

Thanks!
Quote by Amarant
I'm not talking about that particular song. You meet that type of riff in metalcore very often and that's why I want to play it as efficient as possible. Sometimes there is the higher D string or even G string involved and that would be too much to play with downstrokes only. If you think practically, downstroking just is pointless and more energy consuming.

Thanks!

if you are thinking in terms of energy conservation, you should look into economy picking, its a combo of alt picking and sweeping always moving in the direction of the next note.

in any case you should choose the picking style based off of what sounds corect and what feels most comfortable for you.....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
If you play Metallica, think of the riff from Blackened. Alternate pick it from the inside, so use up strokes on the Palm muted low E string, and downpick the A string.
Schecter Omen 6FR
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Line 6 spider IV15
Yamaha F325
yea i remember learning this song. im also a huge metallica fan and from when i started playing guitar (self taught), i was always checking out their tabs.
as for unholy confessions, its easy compared to Blackened, Master of Puppets, or My Apocalypse for example.
as for the technique, palm mute the E string, and down pick all of it. its really not that hard.

As for the whole energy consuming thing, thats something that should never come into consideration for a guitarist. i can play the whole of master of puppets (at live speed) without gettin tired, simply coz iv had practise. the more you practise, the less energy it'll take for you to play a riff/song.
before you know it, ul be melting faces with ur awesome riff playin.
Hope i helped =)
Good luck!
May the Gods of Metal be with you.
What if I one day want to play this kind of riff in double speed and some notes on higher strings? And add triplets perhaps on the lowest string? I would have to practise my whole life.
Down picking is just old-fashioned thrash metal thinking. I am talking about metalcore.
Are you saying you think metalcore never only downpick?

If you're quick enough just downpick it, if you're not alt pick it...
Quote by Amarant
What if I one day want to play this kind of riff in double speed and some notes on higher strings? And add triplets perhaps on the lowest string? I would have to practise my whole life.
Down picking is just old-fashioned thrash metal thinking. I am talking about metalcore.

Learn to do both, it's not like it takes that much practice and really downpicking is key to the metalcore sound.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I couldn't really listen to more than 40 seconds or so of that clip before I had to turn if off - but I didn't hear anything that had to be alternate picked until that breakdown.

If you're playing just basic rhythm like most of the beginning of that song, you can usually get a better sound just by downpicking.

And one of the biggest fallacies ever is that Metallica and other thrash bands only downpicked. I'm pretty sure I read an interview with James Hetfield somewhere where he said he claimed to only use downpicking just to mess with people who were trying to play his stuff. (He alt. picks all the time...)
To be honest dude, just practice string skipping from like the E string to A string, with palm mutes in between, that's what I do. So like open E palm muted to fifth fret A string, Open E palm mute to seventh fret A, and Open E palm mute to eighth fret A.
Quote by Shreddinkevin
To be honest dude, just practice string skipping from like the E string to A string, with palm mutes in between, that's what I do. So like open E palm muted to fifth fret A string, Open E palm mute to seventh fret A, and Open E palm mute to eighth fret A.

At the danger of looking stupid, that isn't string skipping..
Quote by Steve635z
At the danger of looking stupid, that isn't string skipping..

I meant more like going to and from a string. My fault.
Quote by Amarant
Could you write it down please? I don't really understand how to alternate that.

You can alternate pick anything. I'm guessing you're talking about pedaling (I couldn't watch the video). I use pedaling in almost every one of my songs and always do straight alternate picking for it. It's much more economical than always downstroking the E string and always upstroking the A. Seriously, practice for a day trying to straight alternate pick it and you should start to get the hang of it by the next day
I hate my sig
Quote by KailM
I couldn't really listen to more than 40 seconds or so of that clip before I had to turn if off - but I didn't hear anything that had to be alternate picked until that breakdown.

If you're playing just basic rhythm like most of the beginning of that song, you can usually get a better sound just by downpicking.

And one of the biggest fallacies ever is that Metallica and other thrash bands only downpicked. I'm pretty sure I read an interview with James Hetfield somewhere where he said he claimed to only use downpicking just to mess with people who were trying to play his stuff. (He alt. picks all the time...)

Stop lying, don't be an idiot. They have clearly stated that on the album they always down pick heavy riffs. Especially things like master of puppets. As a matter of fact there is an entire guitar world article about how fast the downpicking is in that riff (he says exactly how many BPM it is played at) If you can't/don't want to learn to downpick correctly, then dont play metal, it is very important for the sound to hit the THICKER strings first, they have more BASS and sound DEEPER, giving your CHORDS a nice FULLER sound... (capitals for idiots!)

Like talking to a 6 year old...

Isn't downpicking the very first thing they teach you anyways? You should be good at it by now, should only be slightly challenging to switch between a riff like master of puppets into a lick that requires some alt picking.
Quote by hansome21
Stop lying, don't be an idiot. They have clearly stated that on the album they always down pick heavy riffs. Especially things like master of puppets. As a matter of fact there is an entire guitar world article about how fast the downpicking is in that riff (he says exactly how many BPM it is played at) If you can't/don't want to learn to downpick correctly, then dont play metal, it is very important for the sound to hit the THICKER strings first, they have more BASS and sound DEEPER, giving your CHORDS a nice FULLER sound... (capitals for idiots!)

Isn't downpicking the very first thing they teach you anyways? You should be good at it by now, should only be slightly challenging to switch between a riff like master of puppets into a lick that requires some alt picking.

Mature post that attacks the argument and not the person while remaining on topic.
More on this matter on channel 6 news.

Now with no sarcasm: OP, are you still struggling with the notion of alternate picking?
Quote by AtomicBirdy
Mature post that attacks the argument and not the person while remaining on topic.
More on this matter on channel 6 news.

Now with no sarcasm: OP, are you still struggling with the notion of alternate picking?

Fine, keep giving new guitar players shitty advice. He will end up playing for 5 years before he figures out why his riffs dont sound anything like the people he wants to imitate. And he can spend another 2 years relearning everything because some ass hole like you came along with worthless advice like "play it how you feel"

Suck at guitar, see if I give a crap.
Quote by hansome21
Fine, keep giving new guitar players shitty advice. He will end up playing for 5 years before he figures out why his riffs dont sound anything like the people he wants to imitate. And he can spend another 2 years relearning everything because some ass hole like you came along with worthless advice like "play it how you feel"

Suck at guitar, see if I give a crap.

Yeah, knowing how Metallica does picking and having an equal downpick compared to up pick is WAY better than having a much better downpick. Plus it'll make him sound more original too.
Good job man. Keep up that stellar advice.

Sarcasm aside, I think that if someone who is learning metal on the guitar can't play songs off of MoP isn't taking guitar seriously. That includes solo and rhytmn.

Oh and for the record, if you didn't "give a crap" like you claim, you wouldn't be posting your teeny-bop-angst crap here. How about next time try and give him some helpful advice instead of just flamebaiting people? Thanks
Quote by hansome21

Try playing "One" or "Fight Fire With Fire" all the way through without alternate picking, noob. It can't be done. And it wasn't done by Metallica; they alt. picked certain riffs - James Hetfield said so himself - and I've seen him do it firsthand.

If you didn't fail so horribly at reading comprehension, you would have noticed that I recommended that the original poster downpick most of that Avenged Sevenfold song. Slow/Medium pace = use downpicking for extra heaviness. Fast/insane pace? Use alternate picking.

So before you call someone an idiot and end up looking like an IDIOT yourself again - do yourself a favor: read, read again, comprehend, post. In that order. Thank you, and that concludes today's lesson. Class dismissed!

Oh, and for the record: I can play all of Metallica's truly downpicked riffs faster than they were recorded. If you think Metallica is fast, you haven't touched the surface of the thrash genre, let alone black metal.
Last edited by KailM at May 12, 2011,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Learn to do both, it's not like it takes that much practice and really downpicking is key to the metalcore sound.

+1
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by KailM
Try playing "One" or "Fight Fire With Fire" all the way through without alternate picking, noob. It can't be done. And it wasn't done by Metallica; they alt. picked certain riffs - James Hetfield said so himself - and I've seen him do it firsthand.

If you didn't fail so horribly at reading comprehension, you would have noticed that I recommended that the original poster downpick most of that Avenged Sevenfold song. Slow/Medium pace = use downpicking for extra heaviness. Fast/insane pace? Use alternate picking.

So before you call someone an idiot and end up looking like an IDIOT yourself again - do yourself a favor: read, read again, comprehend, post. In that order. Thank you, and that concludes today's lesson. Class dismissed!

Oh, and for the record: I can play all of Metallica's truly downpicked riffs faster than they were recorded. If you think Metallica is fast, you haven't touched the surface of the thrash genre, let alone black metal.

Here is metallica playing one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWwmIfy0GNE EVERY HEAVY RIFF IS DOWNPICKED. Maybe you should start coming up with proof instead of just claiming "metallica always alt pics"

And we are all very proud that you can play 30 year old songs up to speed. Good boy!
Quote by hansome21
Here is metallica playing one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWwmIfy0GNE EVERY HEAVY RIFF IS DOWNPICKED. Maybe you should start coming up with proof instead of just claiming "metallica always alt pics"

And we are all very proud that you can play 30 year old songs up to speed. Good boy!

4:19 till the end of the song. Alternate picking. Try again noob.

The sad thing is that I agreed with what you're saying in my original post - and yet you're still trolling. When I said "he (James Hetfield) alt picks all the time," I meant that he uses alternate picking quite frequently in many of his songs - not LITERALLY ALL THE TIME - that would be false. The other posters here got that. Why is that so hard for YOU to understand? Try to read for understanding, okay? What a douchebag...
Right, few things:

1 - Thread is reported. Play nice kids or don't play at all. Next time just have a discussion, don't bitch at each other because you either can't communicate or can't understand someone else well enough.

2 - This isn't even a discussion, TS should be learning to do both like I said earlier.

3 - Metallica... downpick a hell of a lot, if it's in 8ths below about 220 bpm then it's downpicked. Yes, they also alt. a lot of riffs but it's mainly the ones that they just flat out can't downpick. This is also not a discussion, this is plain, simple, demonstrable fact.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Right, few things:

1 - Thread is reported. Play nice kids or don't play at all. Next time just have a discussion, don't bitch at each other because you either can't communicate or can't understand someone else well enough.

2 - This isn't even a discussion, TS should be learning to do both like I said earlier.

1. I fully intended to play nice, but when somebody comes in and calls me an idiot without fully understanding my post - I tend to take offense. What is with people these days? I may disagree with someone's post, I might even post about how I disagree, but I WON'T call them an idiot. /rant.

2. I agree, and that's what I was trying to get at this whole time - don't get wrapped up in "all downstrokes" - learn both.