Ive heard this done in a few different songs. One is opeth's "Drapery Falls" and the other most recent one is avenged sevenfold's "So Far Away". On drapery falls they use an ebow, but i dont think thats the case in so far away. Its just basically hes playing a note with vibrato and it seems to fade into a harmonic. What are some techniques to achieve this?
Schecter Damien Elite Avenger FR
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Schecter Damien Elite
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Stratocaster Fretless
Samick Dreadnaught Acoustic (Unknown Model)
Various Marshall Amplifiers
Boss SD-1
Boss CS-3
It's just feedback, yeah. Hold the note until it breaks into feedback and it'll get that tone. I usually do it with chords, but it's the same concept.
oh nevermind. he uses a sustainiac.
Schecter Damien Elite Avenger FR
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Schecter Damien Elite
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Stratocaster Fretless
Samick Dreadnaught Acoustic (Unknown Model)
Various Marshall Amplifiers
Boss SD-1
Boss CS-3
"touch harmonic"? play a given note, say g-string/9th fret, then ligthly touch the same note an octave above on the 21st fret.
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Quote by backtothe70s
"touch harmonic"? play a given note, say g-string/9th fret, then ligthly touch the same note an octave above on the 21st fret.

No, that has a distinct change. He's talking about when a harmonic slowly overtakes the actual played note. I usually do it with an eBow or a harmonic on a different track fading in. Live (or "the non-cheating way") would be done with feedback.
John Petrucci does this by standing close to his cab. The note eventually reduces velocity enough for the sound waves from the speaker to vibrate the harmonic.