Poll: Which language should I learn next?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which language should I learn next?
German
44 30%
French
33 23%
Japanese
32 22%
Mandarin Chinese
23 16%
Other (post)
14 10%
Voters: 146.
Page 1 of 2
With all the talk in the pit about languages, I've been thinking to myself:

"I only know English and Spanish. I don't want to be ignorant and only know 2 languages, so what should I learn next?" [/sarcasm]

In my area, there are mostly English and Spanish speakers, followed by various African and Oriental populations, spoken languages including Farsi, Somalian, French, Chin, and Burmese. I'm mostly interested in German, Japanese, French, possibly Mandarin, but I don't have much interest in Italian or Portuguese.

So how 'bout it?

EDIT: I don't think it matters how difficult the language is (Mandarin would win if that was the case).
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

How about actually doing something rather than asking everyone here questions?
Last edited by kadinh at May 13, 2011,
French would probably be the easiest for you since you already know Spanish.

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
German is a very satisfying language for an English speaker to learn because it is quite similar so easy to pick up.

You can take a few lessons and feel as though you are making progress right away. So I suggest German for that reason, as if you're demotivated you'll just give up learning anyway.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I suggest German for that reason, as if you're demotivated you'll just give up learning anyway.

That's a good point! True also!
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

I took 4 years of German in high school. It was easy to learn and now I can hold a conversation no problem.

Plus it puts hair on your chest.
As stated before French or German are your best options if you want something familiar.

You could also learn Portuguese, it's very similar to Spanish.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Japanese is an amazing language and a lot of fun, but getting a good understanding of grammar and word usage is really difficult because it's so different from ours, and they have three separate alphabets - kanji, hiragana, and katakana, which can be used together but are used for different types of words.

It's very hard to get, but awesome as a language.

Italian would be easy if you know Spanish - they're very similar.

German is great because it's 100% phonetic - most languages aren't.

Mandarin is the most difficult of the ones you mentioned, as you'll not only need to learn the characters and writing, but in the start you'll have to get familiar with pinyin - or the romanization of the language, which is a pain in the ass to the hundredth degree. It's also purely a tonal language, meaning whereas English and Spanish have stressed syllables and accent marks, Mandarin replaces those with raises in pitch and tone instead.

Personally, I love Japanese, and am having a blast learning it after I got skilled with Spanish, but you've gotta decide on your own in the end.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I learn german and after a few years I'm pretty confident, it's pretty easy to pick up as long as (If you're taking classes) you have a good teacher. French would also be a good pick as you already know Spanish and the same for German and English.
My name is Jack.
I have tried to recreationally learn japanese, but using different characters is pretty challenging. but i was trying to learn it on my own, and i didnt have a formal teacher/class. i know just sayings and recognize a few words/characters in kanji and romanji.

so right now it looks like german is winning....
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

Other: C++
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by strat0blaster
Japanese is an amazing language and a lot of fun, but getting a good understanding of grammar and word usage is really difficult because it's so different from ours, and they have three separate alphabets - kanji, hiragana, and katakana, which can be used together but are used for different types of words.

It's very hard to get, but awesome as a language.

Italian would be easy if you know Spanish - they're very similar.

German is great because it's 100% phonetic - most languages aren't.

Mandarin is the most difficult of the ones you mentioned, as you'll not only need to learn the characters and writing, but in the start you'll have to get familiar with pinyin - or the romanization of the language, which is a pain in the ass to the hundredth degree. It's also purely a tonal language, meaning whereas English and Spanish have stressed syllables and accent marks, Mandarin replaces those with raises in pitch and tone instead.

Personally, I love Japanese, and am having a blast learning it after I got skilled with Spanish, but you've gotta decide on your own in the end.

The funniest thing with Japanese is the english words with the -o ending in it.

MacDonaldo, and other words I can't remember. Was hilarious when I was there last year.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Norwegian!

(German sucks hairy donkey balls, just saying.)
EDIT: German isn't 100 % phonetically correct. Norwegian is more ortographically correct than German, whereas in Finnish, the written and spoken language correspond to each other 100 %.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at May 10, 2011,
French. I'd say there are more countries that speak french than speak german. Plus German is a horrible sounding language.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

MacDonaldo, and other words I can't remember. Was hilarious when I was there last year.

Yeah it's usually an O or a U at the end. It sounds totally strange at first, but once you start using words in the language it just sounds... natural? You just get used to hearing it.

I've found that over time, the better my Spanish and Japanese become, the worse my English suffers for it

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

Ive noticed that too. I had a friend from Japan that was an exchange student here when he was in HS. we would always ask him how to say things, and that's what he said most of the time. Like how "jerk" would be "jerku" (IIRC).
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

Quote by strat0blaster

Yeah it's usually an O or a U at the end. It sounds totally strange at first, but once you start using words in the language it just sounds... natural? You just get used to hearing it.

I've found that over time, the better my Spanish and Japanese become, the worse my English suffers for it

Yeah, I found it to be a bit awkward at first. But why not, it makes sense sort of.

Also, on a slightly related topic. We were at a restaurant and we were handed the menus. And then every headline were in english such as

"Soft drinks"
"Food"
"Dessert"

And then every single ****ing dish was written in japanese with the japanese alphabet.
Quote by strat0blaster

TELL ME ABOUT IT!

Sometimes I have difficulty thinking of a work IN MY NATIVE LANGUAGE and can only think to say "de vez en cuando" or "lo que sea". It happens all the time.
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

Quote by kadinh
TELL ME ABOUT IT!

Sometimes I have difficulty thinking of a work IN MY NATIVE LANGUAGE and can only think to say "de vez en cuando" or "lo que sea". It happens all the time.

No doubt

I think, for me at least, it's because after learning other languages, I've come to find how needlessly complex English is. It's also ugly sounding, IMO I much prefer Spanish or Japanese to it.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
I wan't to learn Japanese and Spanish, but I'm soaked in stuff to do as of now.

I speak Norwegian fluently, English rather well, and can stotter a bit in German, but that's it.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by kadinh
With all the talk in the pit about languages, I've been thinking to myself:

"I only know English and Spanish. I don't want to be ignorant and only know 2 languages, so what should I learn next?"

Madarin...for that is quite hard.

I only know one language...does that make me ignorant?
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
If you're trying to learn Japanese, I'd highly suggest taking a course at a local college or something of the like. With Spanish, I learned 80% of it from old college textbooks on my own and watching Telemundo (sue me, but it worked). With Japonese, it's MUCH more difficult to do this. There's no substitute for SPEAKING the language with another person/other people, and this is even more crucial with a language so different from your native tongue. Languages like Spanish, Italian, and German are more 'stand alone learnable' than others, in that you can learn a good deal of it on your own if you work hard enough.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quenya.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I took 2 years of spanish in middle school, 1 in HS, and I married a Mexican, so I basically learned from osmosis and from sleeping with my teacher.
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

Mandarin would be most useful imo. German and French both would be decently easy. I'd go for Mandarin, though.
Quote by theogonia777
Quenya.

Mae govannen

Le gwennen?
Quote by kadinh
I took 2 years of spanish in middle school, 1 in HS, and I married a Mexican, so I basically learned from osmosis and from sleeping with my teacher.

Not a bad way to learn, although you might not want to say the sorts of things you're being told in those situations to other people beyond your teacher

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Russian.

There is no other answer.
Quote by travs2448

How many of you are vegan?
Hopefully none

Does anyone know any fun recipes?
Yeah a big juicy flank steak

What can be done with tofu?
Nothing it taste like crap

Is there such thing as vegan meat? Vegan sausages ect
WTF ARE YOU ON?
Quote by That_Hot_Guy
Russian.

There is no other answer.

I thought in Russia, Russian learns YOU!
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

Quote by strat0blaster
Not a bad way to learn, although you might not want to say the sorts of things you're being told in those situations to other people beyond your teacher

maybe I should clarify.... I learned the most useful stuff from my wife, so she's my real teacher. clear things up?
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

Dutch
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
Mandarin Chinese. It's a very different language than Western languages, and it makes you think and learn differently. If you want to learn languages just because, learn this one.
Also, since "China is the future", it'll be helpful when everyone suddenly becomes Chinese.
Farsi will almost guarantee you some kind of intelligence job. You do want to be a spy, don't you?
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Last edited by rgrockr at May 10, 2011,
Quote by rgrockr
Farsi will almost guarantee you some kind of intelligence job. You do want to be a spy, don't you?

Also this. My sister can speak Farsi and Arabic fluently and she...isn't...a...spy.
>.>
Page 1 of 2