Hi,

I'm sorry im having to ask a newbish question, but ive already snapped two sets of strings today and im losing my f**king mind!!

I have ordered a new set of strings (Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom 10s) and I have my Jackson RR24 guitar all cleaned and ready to go.

What I need help with is:

1) What position should I start the back of the guitar screws at for tuning to Drop D
2) How many strings should I have in it for Drop D / Standard?
3) Where can I get a tutorial/vid that shows me how to string it up properly with no floating etc that doesnt require you to take 1 string off at a time as ive already ripped them all off?

All help is greatly appreciated,

I just want to make sure when I get the 3RD! set I will set this guitar up perfectly to Drop D / Standard and have the setup of it all correct.

Thanks,

buy heavier strings? obvious answer if mediums dont work go to heavies if they keep breaking get extra heavy unless your not man enough
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
60's J bass copy (trying to sell or trade)
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

"We make music for hipster strippers" Dan Auerbach
thats why i got rid of my jackson with a floyd rose, stringing a floyd rose is like being the next guitar great, everyone thinks they can do it, but only a select few can.
anyways, check the springs on the back (its been a while since i had a floyd rose)
make sure theyre in, and youtube
Quote by fmonzo27
buy heavier strings? obvious answer if mediums dont work go to heavies if they keep breaking get extra heavy unless your not man enough

I have "Not Even Slinkys" on my Schecter for Drop B so dont try the kiddo attitude, doesn't suit you m8.

And on top of that, can you even tune a guitar using 11's to Drop D / Standard?
Quote by Kerry_King_1990
thats why i got rid of my jackson with a floyd rose, stringing a floyd rose is like being the next guitar great, everyone thinks they can do it, but only a select few can.
What's so hard about restringing a FR? It's a pain because tuning it is an iterative process of tuning over and over, but stringing it up is not hard.

I was able to remove the strings and change the pickups of a FR guitar without retuning. You can't do that with any other bridge.
People take the string off one at a time?
I just cut them all at once with a wire cutter.. much more satisfying hearing the trem snap back. (You can tell I don't like to treat mine well!)

Then block the trem with a bit of foam, string it, tune it, tune it, tune it, tune it, remove the foam, tune it, tune it then BAM.. easy

Fine tuners should be set to give as much allowance as possible.
And don't tighten the locking nut until you're done completely.
And you may need to adjust the springs on the back.. do that if the trem's not flush with the body. It depends on what you're strings were before.. lossening will make the trem dip toward the neck and visa versa
And if they keep breaking, either be gentle when tuning (alternate the strings) and check that the saddles aren't sharp.

Hope that's something to work off of.
Quote by .Rowan
And on top of that, can you even tune a guitar using 11's to Drop D / Standard?

i have 11s on my schecter c-1 hellraiser (not FR) and i have put it all the way from standard tuning, all the way to drop B. with the standard being C#/F#/B/E/G#/C#
so, 11 gauge can just about do it all. it's a little bit floppy down there, but basically, 11s will work.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Boss ME-70
Martin DC-1E
Peavey Classic 30
Greer Amps Relic Drive

"Do you practice UG Blackism? W e do."

Drown out the noise...
... KILL DURDEN!
So when I get the strings I should stick something like a 9V battery or spoon to make the bridge level, then just put strings on and tune them to Drop D... and if the bridge stats raising again, then I need to go to the back of the guitar, turn the screws clockwize a couple of turns each screw, then turn it back round and tune again?
I use 9s on a Licensed Floyd guitar tuned to Drop C. You can use any kind of string for drop D, but the lower the gauge the floppier and looser they get. It's basically preference.

As far as the spring tension goes, it's basically trial and error. The tension of the actual springs can and will vary between guitars.

In all honesty the most tedious part of setting up a Floyd is the fact that you need to tune 800 times to get it to stay in tune.

PS. I rarely snap strings when tuning even with my worst guitar. Are you trying to tune to the wrong octave of D or something?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
I think earlier I just snapped literally lol :laugh:

I supose all I can try is blocking the bridge level, putting strings on, putting to Drop D, if it raises the bridge should I add/remove a spring or play with the screws at back?
Quote by PsiGuy60
I use 9s on a Licensed Floyd guitar tuned to Drop C. You can use any kind of string for drop D, but the lower the gauge the floppier and looser they get. It's basically preference.

As far as the spring tension goes, it's basically trial and error. The tension of the actual springs can and will vary between guitars.

In all honesty the most tedious part of setting up a Floyd is the fact that you need to tune 800 times to get it to stay in tune.

PS. I rarely snap strings when tuning even with my worst guitar. Are you trying to tune to the wrong octave of D or something?

flop flop flopity flop
i usually keep 9s for drop c but i change out the low e so it isnt as floppy :s
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Hi, I am looking for an amp setting close to the sound of bands like Black Veil Brides.

Quote by Eppicurt

Set everything to 12 o'clock.

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

Will buy guitars & guitar parts
PM me for info