Page 1 of 2
As i'm sure we all know...Mesa is a very well trusted amp brand, from the early Mesa Mark III all the way to the newer Mark V's and 5:50's. Though, while known for great quality and craftsmanship...they're not a brand someone would exactly call "wallet friendly". Today after searching several used sites and dealers on the internet, i asked myself: "What is THE best Mesa amp in my budget? Theres so many, but i dont know which one would fit me the most!" (No joke....i actually thought that).

So i'm here to ask what the best Mesa amp under 1200$ is. Is it the Dual Rectifier, the Mesa Mark IV, The Lonestar....i dunno....i'm completely new to Mesa amps...thats why im asking lol

This isn't exactly a "recommend me this..." thread...just tell us what you believe is THE definitive best amp that Mesa has ever produced under 1200$

Thanks!
Quote by dannycasevnx
Best for what? Making tea? Vaccuming? Massages?

best tones, best diversity, best general ability to make music...

tho...a amp that made tea would be pretty damn awesome
Well for versitillity I'd take a mark V or road king. For the British crunch I'd take the Electra dyne and for blues a Lonestar. But then again I'd wouldn't any of them except the mark V
I've read ALOT of reviews and what not, and alot of them say the Road King is one to check out, but as i said...im completely new to Mesa...all i know is that they are near the top notch when it comes to quality and tone...and that they are generally expensive
Mesa DC3, DC5, DC10 are all really good
I had a DC3 and loved it, 35 watts, very versatile, very loud, 2 channels, assignable graphic eq, all 3 are avalible in combo and head versions
you should check these out
Attachments:
untitled.bmp
Lol, i never said i was going to buy one. I realize that the Roadking would be near perfect...but theres no way i'd EVER pay that much for an amp...i have a hard time looking at amps priced around 800$....

i'm stingy when it comes to money lol...i got bills to pay
Quote by mcamp1230
Mesa DC3, DC5, DC10 are all really good
I had a DC3 and loved it, 35 watts, very versatile, very loud, 2 channels, assignable graphic eq, all 3 are avalible in combo and head versions
you should check these out

I'll certainly check into those...If the DC-10 isnt insanely priced, i'd certainly think about buying it...I just looked up a few videos of the DC-5 on youtube and WOW...i was impressed

Im trying to upgrade amps...thats why i looked into Mesa...because i have the money AND the want to own a damn good amp
Im not sure why mesa ever discontiued DC line. I think they fell victim to the F series
A lot of people think these had some of the best clean tones mesa ever produced, maybe not now though...they have some really nice stuff now.
They get real nasty too, the lead channel is based off a rectifier...
A good used DC-10 head should be about a $1000 on ebay, ive been watching them cus im saving for one myself.
I love my Single Rec.. haven't really had an issue dialing in any tones I've ever wanted. It's obviously ideal for metal, but you can use the three distortion channel modes to your advantage when trying to get more British rock tones/classic rock tones. The clean channel also has two different modes that give pretty different results - one is a pretty standard clean channel, the other is kind of like another distortion channel with more grit and less gain. I like it for old school distortion (not metal).

My only problem is the parallel effects loop. I just got the schematic to change it to series. Seems simple enough.

My $.02.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
^Thats the problem i hear about the single Rec's...the whole parallel effects loop...im sure it wouldnt take much to fix tho

EDIT: Its actually probably alot cheaper to just buy the single rec and have someone fix that...OR do what you did, and get the schematics
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at May 10, 2011,
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
^Thats the problem i hear about the single Rec's...the whole parallel effects loop...im sure it wouldnt take much to fix tho

Here's all that needs to be done.. this is straight from Mesa.. really simple mod.

Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
In my experience, you can find the following Mesa amps for under $1200 quite regularly:

- Dual Rectifier (various versions) Tremoverb, Rectoverb, 2channel, 3 channel
- Single Rectifier
- Mark III
- Mark IV at times
- DC series
- F series
- Lonestar
- Nomad

Lots of amps to choose from but I'd probably go with the 2-channel Dual Rectifier or the Mark III personally.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
wow that is really simple...how much did you get your single rec?

I got mine new, couldn't find any used but it had the exact tone I was going for and I had no need for 100 watts. $1100-1200 I think? I see lots of used ones now though. Saw a Rectoverb last week for $800ish.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
I hear the Mark III is the best "Mark" amp in the series....on Guitar Center Used, theres 2 or 3 of them going for 800$....
I know I know... this is a power amp and you have to be a rock star to actually need an amp this big or afford to keep tubes in it but these things have a juicy liquid glowing sound that makes most every other amp I've ever heard sound like a toy.

Quote by 3074326
I got mine new, couldn't find any used but it had the exact tone I was going for and I had no need for 100 watts. $1100-1200 I think? I see lots of used ones now though. Saw a Rectoverb last week for $800ish.

Excuse me for my horrid noobishness...but what exactly is the difference between the 2 channel Rec's, Dual Rec's, Rectoverbs etc.

Aside from more channels and some good reverb, is there any other differences?
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
Excuse me for my horrid noobishness...but what exactly is the difference between the 2 channel Rec's, Dual Rec's, Rectoverbs etc.

Aside from more channels and some good reverb, is there any other differences?

People always say there's a difference in tone among the Single, Dual and Triple. I haven't played a Dual or Triple for so long that I can't really make a comment on it. I know lots prefer the old 2-channel Duals over the newer 3-channel Duals. I remember playing my Single beside a Dual and liking the tone the same and the price more. And I had no need or desire for 100 tube watts (Dual) or 150 watts (Triple).

I could've just said there isn't much difference. Some subtle differences, certainly, but they all sound like Rectifiers.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
I hear the Mark III is the best "Mark" amp in the series....on Guitar Center Used, theres 2 or 3 of them going for 800$....

Mark IIC.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
i bought two weeks ago a dc2 for 750 usd, it´s incredible how it sounds this amp! i really recomend you this amplifier or other with mora wattage like dc3, 5 or 10. The cleans are Perfect and it has like every mesa that beautiful gain.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Alpine White.
-Dunlop Crybaby 535q.
-Dunlop Heil Sound Talk Box.
-Keeley Boss Ds-1 with SEM.
-Danelectro Wasabi Overdrive.
-Fulltone OCD v4.
-MXR Carbon Copy.
-Zoom G2.1u.
-Vox AC4tv8.
-Kustom Dart 10.
Quote by GN'R
i bought two weeks ago a dc2 for 750 usd, it´s incredible how it sounds this amp! i really recomend you this amplifier or other with mora wattage like dc3, 5 or 10. The cleans are Perfect and it has like every mesa that beautiful gain.

If i could manage to find a DC5, i would probably buy it on the spot. I had an uncle who owned a DC10 YEARS ago...and it was great...unfortunately he passed away and they sold his amp to a neighbor for like 200$

This was before i was interested in playing guitar...needless to say...i regret letting it leave his house

He also had a Fender amp (idk what series or type), a Marshall JCM800 and (as mentioned before) a Mesa DC10. As well as a Fender American Strat from the 60's, a Gibson from 59 i believe and a PRS guitar (idk what type). They sold each one for 200$ to people in our town and over Ebay...
Hot rod 50 plus.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Hot rod 50 plus.

Isnt that Soldano?

EDIT: Ya....thats a Soldano lol
they are definitely used, i'd say a used dual rec
Guitars
Amps
Last edited by Matt15f at May 10, 2011,
I'd sell you a Peters for $1200 just to put and end to the thread making mayhem...

Is this Daryl?

Yea, try a transatlantic.
Quote by gregs1020
I'd sell you a Peters for $1200 just to put and end to the thread making mayhem...

Is this Daryl?

Yea, try a transatlantic.

Lol...ya its Daryl...and are you serious about the transatlantic or are you kidding?

and ya...the "thread making mayhem" is a bad thing...I've been trying to break away from UG...i finally learned that there is a Guitar Center about 2.5 hours away from me, so i'll be visiting it alot so i can get a feel for amp voices and what not...You all have been ALOT of help though, i've learned more from just asking questions on here, than i have in my past 12 years of playing (on and off)

But, in the coming week(s) i will be lower my thread count...

You can all rejoice lol

EDIT: The Transatlantic doesnt seem bad, plus i could afford to throw in a good 2x12 Cab as well...but before i buy it off the internet...i'd want to try it at that Guitar Center previously mentioned

EDIT: BUT...for the price (roughly 750$) are there better amps? Thats the predicament i always come to when deciding on an amp...For my money, is it THE best amp in that price range...
you cant get much better than a 2 Channel Dual Recto for around $1000 used if you're gonna do metal.

other than that probably Mark III is your best bet, dont know how much Mark IIC+'s are but that would be a good shout too
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Well...(i really didnt want this to end up being a "recommend this to me" thread....

but my genres are:
Blues-Like Eric Clapton
Metal-Like Metallica
Classic Rock- Like The Eagles...

those are pretty much the only tones i'd want...classic rock, somewhat high gains (not insane tho) and good cleans....

At the moment, the Transatlantic TA-15 actually looks pretty damn good...but idk
Am I the only one thinking fender supersonic?
2 Channel Mesa Rectifier is the best Mesa amp ever produced (well, maybe besides the IIC+, which I haven't tried), in any price range; unless of course you're playing low/mid gain - In which case you should probably buy a different brand
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at May 11, 2011,
Mark IV, 2 ch. recto, rectoverb would be my top 3
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
For playing lower gain stuff like eagles and clapton I'd say you should check out the lonestar. You can always boost the clean channel with a pedal if it doesn't get gainy enough for metallica, etc. I haven't played one personally (finally see one in GC while out of town, and they have the goddamned king of the blues thing going on), but the clips I've heard are pretty amazing.

I'd also second the DC-3. That amp is pretty amazing, and you can probably find one for around $600 or so if you look hard enough. I'd rather buy a 10 year old DC-3 for $700 than a brand new T/A. I guess it sounds ok, but I'm just not terribly impressed with the T/A's. Especially for what they charge for them.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
The DC series are cool, but for what it's worth, I bought a DC-5 to replace my .50 Cal +, as it was supposed to be the successor to it and "better" because it didn't have shared EQs. It just wasn't the same IMO, the .50 Cal + sounded much more organic and had a thicker voicing on the lead channel.

My DC-5 was a combo, with a Mesa C-90 speaker in it, and I actually had a lot of trouble cutting through at my band's practices, even with the mids all the way up, because it had no body. It was all highs and high mids.

The only thing better about the DC-5 was the cleans, they were absolutely gorgeous.

I also got a DC-3 head a few weeks after I got rid of the DC-5 that had Mercury Magnetics transformers in it. I thought it sounded horrible. Super muddy and just overall boring to listen to. EL-84s are gross in most cases.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I never had a DC3 personally, but I have a friend who had one, and heard him play it pretty frequently over several months. I thought his sounded pretty damn good... Not sure if it was all stock or not though. He has a tendency to swap speakers and tubes, so it may have been modded a bit.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by gregs1020
Am I the only one thinking fender supersonic?

For the longest time, i kept my eye on the Fender supersonic...but i never could find it for the right price
Page 1 of 2