Hello!

Im just wondering, and please let me know if Im wrong, but Ive been playing for a year and a half and HATE playing chords, I know enough about scales which can be helpful but to really become a good player, should I continue as Im doing now which is to play along with music I listen to, just freestyling and learning where the notes are?

I like the feeling of this because it gets me closer to expressing myself but is continueing this way going to make me a great player in the end?

When I watch people ornament chords its like magic in front of my eyes. For me its really rythm or melody...

What should I do? I hate taking lessons, reading tabs, or watching someone on youtube simply showing how its done because (and this aint bragging) it makes it too easy and takes away the challenge
get over yourself, watch some lessons, learn some chord progressions or pieces with cool chordy stuff.

you could always try to work out songs from the radio by ear. Chords and all.

As much of a lead player as you are, chords are pretty much vital in guitar playing. try asking Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert or Tosin Abasi if they know any chords. They probably do.
learning your chords, scales, appregios and all that theory stuff is really important in becoming a better player, but whats even more important is knowing when and how to use them. So learn a scale and some chords to go with that scale and practice making riffs and just learn how to screw around with it.
There is no right or wrong answer. You can keep avoiding chords if you want to, and just stick to scales. But you'll be limiting yourself in the long run. Same as people who learn all their chords but refuse to learn scales. At the end of the day your going to get out of your playing, what you put in.

If you spend the time to learn anything and everything you can, your playing will reflect that. If you only learn bits and peices and skip out on others, your playing will reflect that also.

Who says it has to be Rhythm or Melody? Here are a few examples James Jamerson the house bassist for Motown did both. He would hold down a rock solid groove and held down the rhythm section, but also play a counter melody to the lead singer at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND-iW51idC0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bAliqnJMGI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD78i6eoGkM

As for lessons making it too easy and takes away from the challenge. You may want to drop the ego there bud. If you have to ask how to advance as a player, you are nowhere near good enough to refuse to listen to others advise. Which is what lessons do, they dont teach you anything. They show you what the instructor knows, its up to you how you use and apply the knowlage they are sharing with you.

For god's sake guys like BB King, Victor Wooten, ect... true masters of their crafts still, watch and learn from others. If you want to master your craft as well, learn anything and everything you can from anyone and everyone!!!
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
To really learn the guitar you're going to have to eventually do everything you hate, but no one says you have to really learn the guitar. Do what you're passionate about and what interests you. Play guitar for yourself and no one else. The great players are the ones that make their own method to guitar and don't just try to copy someone else note for note. It may take you longer to get to some points and you may miss out on some techniques or theory, but who cares if you are able to happily express yourself on your instrument
If watching lessons made you better instantly, and gave you no challenge everyone would be a great guitarist. Just because your gaining the knowledge from the lessons doesn't mean you will have the technique down. Also, unless you want to learn everything by ear, which helps in the end, you should use tabs for scales, chords etc. And I have never played with a guitarist, lead or rhythm, that didn't have some knowledge on chords. But if you hate it. So be it.
Quote by addeps3

What should I do? I hate taking lessons, reading tabs, or watching someone on youtube simply showing how its done because (and this aint bragging) it makes it too easy and takes away the challenge

okay so your question is how do I get better, but you don't like doing things that will make you better?

lessons from a good teacher will make you beter, but you don't like lessons, so we can scratch that oppertunity... tabs wouldmake you better, but they are too much like cheating? so lets not do that, that way we have to guess if we are doing it right... watching someone else would be pretty helpful, but thats way too easy. hmm you should probably not sak us because wouldn't asking a question and actually getting an anser make things too easy as well?

the way I see it is you can get over yourself and learn how to play the guitar, or you can continue the path you are on, and only learn what you can figure out. the best guitarists learned how to play, most of them had lessons or watched someone else play things, most of them did not just sit around saying that atually learning would take out all the fun.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by addeps3
Hello!

Im just wondering, and please let me know if Im wrong, but Ive been playing for a year and a half and HATE playing chords, I know enough about scales which can be helpful but to really become a good player, should I continue as Im doing now which is to play along with music I listen to, just freestyling and learning where the notes are?

I like the feeling of this because it gets me closer to expressing myself but is continueing this way going to make me a great player in the end?

When I watch people ornament chords its like magic in front of my eyes. For me its really rythm or melody...

Dude playing chords is like THE most important part of playing guitar. If you don t like playing chords you should take up bass.

And i don't get it dude, you say you dont want to watch lessons because it makes it too easy, yet you're too much of a poon t learn chords!?!?

dude really?

Learn your chords and practice
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
Quote by reggaebassman
If you don t like playing chords you should take up bass.

It's ignorant statements like that, which spread the stereotype that all bassists are failed guitarists. Any half decent bassist will know how to build a chord just like any half decent guitarist.

It's pretty hard to walk a bassline without knowing chromatics and chord tones. Because most of those classic Jazz runs can't be found in any note scale "other than the chromatic". Same goes for Country, Blues, Reggae, Motown, ect...
Quote by MetlHed94

Watch a paul gilbert dvd, Watch and andy james dvd, constantly learn new stuff that is harder and challenging than what you already know. Always push your boundries. If you get better rhythmically and you feel like you could learn some leads, you should move towards tapping, sweeping, string skipping, alternate/economy picking, and just keep moving forward with it all. Tapping is pretty easy, and once you tap arpeggios then you learn to sweep em, etc. if you don't limit yourself and just try to play it, that is the only way you'll get better imo. And if its sloppy at first, thats fine. It'll tighten up as long as you keep practicing.
Quote by DiminishDarknut
Watch a paul gilbert dvd, Watch and andy james dvd, constantly learn new stuff that is harder and challenging than what you already know. Always push your boundries. If you get better rhythmically and you feel like you could learn some leads, you should move towards tapping, sweeping, string skipping, alternate/economy picking, and just keep moving forward with it all. Tapping is pretty easy, and once you tap arpeggios then you learn to sweep em, etc. if you don't limit yourself and just try to play it, that is the only way you'll get better imo. And if its sloppy at first, thats fine. It'll tighten up as long as you keep practicing.

watching those dvds would cause TS to watch someone else and they'd also get lessons through them. unfortunately TS hates those things because it makes guitar too easy, or atleast that is what his post says....

I would like to say that I do not disagree with your point at all, but your advice is probably not going to be listened to by TS unless he realizes that in order to learn new things and get better he needs to take lessons or watch someone else or look up tabs once in while or a combination of all of them.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Hey, everyone, thanks for the replies but I need to clear some things up, I dont mind playing chords I jsut meant, if I learned how to play trenchtown rock for instance, I know the chords and all, but I get tired of it... How do I do something intresting with what I already know?

When I listen to it I hear some intresting licks and so I try to learn them.

Ok, great, so whats the problem?

All Im saying is If I want to learn to play Bold as Love, I watch the youtube lesson and play it and I done nothing creative at all... Is this how I improve? By not being creative?
Quote by reggaebassman
Dude playing chords is like THE most important part of playing guitar. If you don t like playing chords you should take up bass.

And i don't get it dude, you say you dont want to watch lessons because it makes it too easy, yet you're too much of a poon t learn chords!?!?

dude really?

Learn your chords and practice

I ALREADY KNOW ALL THE F*CKING CHORDS, MATE, IM JUST TIRED OF ONLY PLAYING THEM, SO INSTEAD I JUST TRY TO SOLO BUT IS THAT THE RIGHT PATH? Thank you.

How can some people embellish chords, did they learn it by accident? How do they know what notes go? How do you combine chords and melody?

Its so effin frustrating that im having a nervous breakdown on a silly internet forum
Last edited by addeps3 at May 11, 2011,
Quote by addeps3
I ALREADY KNOW ALL THE F*CKING CHORDS, MATE, IM JUST TIRED OF ONLY PLAYING THEM, SO INSTEAD I JUST TRY TO SOLO BUT IS THAT THE RIGHT PATH? Thank you.

How can some people embellish chords, did they learn it by accident? How do they know what notes go? How do you combine chords and melody?

Its so effin frustrating that im having a nervous breakdown on a silly internet forum

dude chill

sounds like you need to read up on some basic theory. Yeah I know.... urggghhh. Anyway read The Crusade, its in the beginners sticky. Its actually pretty easy to follow and will show you how to combine chords and melody and how to apply it in your own playing.
Quote by addeps3

That's just it, you don't "know" the chords, you only know how to play them - big difference.

Calm down and learn some theory, specifically...

Notes on the fretboard
Intervals
Major scale construction
Harmonisation of the major scale and chord construction.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by addeps3
I ALREADY KNOW ALL THE F*CKING CHORDS

I seriously doubt that.
Quote by Sickz
I seriously doubt that.

Do you know the C chord?.......
Well do you know the D chord?.......
Well can you change from C to D?
Quote by TheMooseKnuckle
It's ignorant statements like that, which spread the stereotype that all bassists are failed guitarists. Any half decent bassist will know how to build a chord just like any half decent guitarist.

It's pretty hard to walk a bassline without knowing chromatics and chord tones. Because most of those classic Jazz runs can't be found in any note scale "other than the chromatic". Same goes for Country, Blues, Reggae, Motown, ect...

I hate when people make assumptions like this.... look im not stereotyping bassists at all, i'm just saying if single notes is what he likes then he should probably pickup an instrument where he'll do that about 90% of the time.
Quote by Twist of fate
Quote by addeps3
I ALREADY KNOW ALL THE F*CKING CHORDS,

you know the 60 popular ones,

its numerically impossible to know every single chord combination possible on a guitar, because the combinations are infinite.

You're coming off as a hard headed douchebag. I got news for you you will never become great by being closed minded. You're gonna hit a wall and never go any further
Quote by Twist of fate
Quote by reggaebassman
I hate when people make assumptions like this.... look im not stereotyping bassists at all, i'm just saying if single notes is what he likes then he should probably pickup an instrument where he'll do that about 90% of the time.

How is my post an assumption? You said and I quote "If you don t like playing chords you should take up bass." Which pretty clearly states that you dont have to know anything about chords to play bass.

Sure he may only be playing 1 note at a time "another bad stereotype", but alot of times on bass you are singling out 1 note from a given chord. So you have to know how to build the chord and all the tones in that given chord, and all of the positions of that said chord. So you can pick and chose that "one" note you want to play. Then you need to know the rest of the notes in that chord and all the notes of the next chord in the progression in all the positions so you can walk a bassline from one to another.

In terms of theory, there is no diffrence between what a bassist and guitarist of comperable skill level should know. Any bassist worth his salt knows how to build and modify his chords in any and all positions same as any guitarist
Quote by MetlHed94

Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at May 11, 2011,
Quote by reggaebassman

In all honesty though, with the OP's mindset and massive ego. He would probably fail trying to learn the Kazoo
Quote by MetlHed94

Quote by TheMooseKnuckle
In all honesty though, with the OP's mindset and massive ego. He would probably fail trying to learn the Kazoo

Hahaha, I prolly would..

but I apprecieate your patience, gentlemen and I ofcourse dont know ALL the chords but I know all the CAGED major chords and I know the steps of chord construction... The chromatic scale... and so on...

Ill will check out the crusade...

But dont most of you agree that just playing the chords of a song gets very borin, very quickly? Howw do you add your own licks and stuff? =/ Where do I start?

Any help is greatly appreciated! thanksa!
Last edited by addeps3 at May 17, 2011,
the chords are your framework, if you understand how they work then you can add things to them, take things away and generally play around with the gaps they leave you without changing the song completely.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by addeps3
Hahaha, I prolly would..

but I apprecieate your patience, gentlemen and I ofcourse dont know ALL the chords but I know all the CAGED major chords and I know the steps of chord construction... The chromatic scale... and so on...

Ill will check out the crusade...

But dont most of you agree that just playing the chords of a song gets very borin, very quickly? Howw do you add your own licks and stuff? =/ Where do I start?

Any help is greatly appreciated! thanksa!

Lol, all joking aside... it's really up to you. Personally if I don't feel it, I don't play it. So nothing I play is ever boring to me.

A good place to start would be to add accents to your chords... play the chord then add chord tones to it, or do a run of a scale, ect... A good example is "Johnny B. Goode" by Chuck Berry. Maybe some ACDC "Back in Black" for example. Or damn near anything in Jazz.
Quote by MetlHed94

I think I know where your at... do you play barre chords or you just talking about the open chords? Because its the barre chords that will lead you to those funky little licks that make a simple 3 chord progression sound great
he of tranquil mind
You should definitely learn to love to play chords. If it's not a challenge to you and that is why you don't like them, then try freestyling with a couple of chords by fingerpicking multiple and mostly random strings in the chord while adding a pinky (or any other finger) to a string and fret not being used that sounds good with your chord. I do this a lot when I get tired of the same songs, and it is suprisingly an interesting challenge and is very fun if you have the nack for it. The scales you know should help you to chose what strings to pluck and what notes to add.

If you're a fast enough picker with a flatpick, you could do that to.