A friend of mine has dragooned me into teaching him bass, even though all I know about it is that it usually ahs four strings
I'd rate myself as intermediate to advanced technique wise, and beginner to intermediate on theory. Ive already showed him some theory, but what should I show him as far as bass is concerned? Do you guys know any excercises/lessons/songs that can come in handy? Cause Im a bass n00b T.T
Step one: Don't teach theory to a starter; only teach the basics like string names, frets and how to read tab.
Step two: Find a simple bass line and teach him it.

Direct them to youtube about how to pick, pluck, fret and all the basics.
Watch them yourself; it never hurts.

No one wants to learn theory when they start.. it's something you pick up when you start getting better.

EDIT: I'm not saying theory is stupid.. I'm just saying it's not fun when you don't understand everything just yet.
You could refer your friend to someone who plays the instrument they want to learn.
Quote by Silent Murder
Step one: Don't teach theory to a starter; only teach the basics like string names, frets and how to read tab.
Step two: Find a simple bass line and teach him it.

Direct them to youtube about how to pick, pluck, fret and all the basics.
Watch them yourself; it never hurts.

No one wants to learn theory when they start.. it's something you pick up when you start getting better.

EDIT: I'm not saying theory is stupid.. I'm just saying it's not fun when you don't understand everything just yet.

I taught him the stuff you said, and a bit about major scales. Did I overdo it?
I'm thinking of making hmi learn Enter Sandman......seems to be an easy bassline. What do you say?

Quote by smb
You could refer your friend to someone who plays the instrument they want to learn.

He dragooned me plus I live near his place so......
Quote by smb

^^^THIS^^^

OP, if you do want to help him. The very first thing any new bassist should learn is how to groove. Turn the radio on, and help him find and lock into the pulse of every single song. Until he can do that, nothing else matters... if he cant keep time and can't find the pulse, he's going to really struggle!!!

If it were me the first thing I would want to learn in terms of theory are the chord tones and chromatics. With those you can walk a bass line pretty easy... and at the very least you'll be able to play along with just about anything. More importantly if he can walk a simple bassline he can Jam with just about anyone "which will help him more than anything". Then I would slowly start throwing some scales in, as transitions from one chord to another.

But thats just me...
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
I would give him a very basic theory, just like Silent Murder said.
After that I would go over very simple bass lines, idiots love that crap, such as Smoke on the Water or Californication (it doesn't have to be the whole songs).

That's pretty much how I started, just by myself, and it worked out pretty good.
Quote by Rawshik
Direct him to this website: dmanlamius.com

^This. really great teacher. learned so much from him when i first got into bass playing.
Show him where the notes are on the fretboard, show him say maybe C major scale, and then play Smoke On The Water or something simple like that. But don't try to teach him to run before he can walk
Quote by Kill A Kitten
He Legend of Dragooned you??? SHIIIIITTTTTT!!!

I bought that at goodwill....

First thing to learn ever in music: Note locations on the fretboard.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.