I just dropped a new phone into the toilet, well it fell out of my sweatshirt..into the toilet...I took it out pretty quick, threw it in a bag of rice then after getting the vacuum took it out took it apart and vacuumed it really good, i think I got a lot of moisture, put it back into a sealed container of rice to sit for two days. These are things I have heard to do when this happens...is there anything else that works better?

Also does this actually work? my phone was in the water briefly, but enough to turn the little paper on the phones halfway pink which indicates to the company there was water damage? correct? anyway I was just wondering if anybody had this happen before and how effective their treatment was and what they did...

I worked quick so I hope that my phone still works okay...
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
You may say it was a.... shitty situation. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHH

In anycase, should've pulled the battery out immediately. I fell into a river once with my phone in my pocket (in the water for about a minute), and it lived to tell the tale, so yours might be ok.
1996 Fender American Telecaster
Schecter Omen 6
VOX AC-15
Alvarez PF2005
1985 PROCO RAT II
BOSS DS-1, DD3, SD-1, TU-3, NS-2
Danelectro Overdrive
Jimi Hendrix Wah
EHX LPB-1
MXR Supercomp
If it was on when it dropped, you're most likely screwed.
This is the part where you are supposed to be amazed by the awesomeness of my sig.
I used to sell and repair mobile phones.

Don't be tempted to put heat on it like a hairdrier. You may push water further in.

Take all the removable bits out (battery, back etc) and put it all in a bowl of dried rice. Leave it for a day or 2 in the airing cupboard. That should work.
Yea that's the best thing for it....we were building a house in the fall and one of the contractors lost his phone....well the next spring the snow had started to melt and i see this phone in the yard, we took it apart, threw it in some rice etc and it worked and everything and that was after 3-4 months in the snow and rain so it'll probly be fine
My E-Family

Quote by Scyther
Banned are vic and rebel at it again? Do I need to get the hose?

Quote by Oyface
What a rare sight, a non ignorant christian.

UG's Most Attractive Female 2011!!

PM me if you are ready for a jail break
My brother dropped his phone in the toilet the other day, before he flushes. He still grabbed it out of there even though it had shit all over it. Cleaned it, left it out for a few days no luck so far though
* If my punctuation seems off, it's because my shift button is broken *
Bag of rice?
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
I guess you could say that your phone was THE shit. xD. curse me and my crappy humour. erm, i presume this was before you actually used the toilet, cos ida just left my phone in there otherwise.
Im a dick. Your a dick. We're all dick's.
ive sadly done this multiple times. if you have the warranty bring it back to the store. if not keep it in the rice
What I did for my Blackberry was take the back panel off, remove the battery, and put it a couple of feet away from my apartment's heat vent. It worked the next morning.

Additionally - what the hell kind of maneuver were you doing that your phone actually fell out of your hoody's pocket into the toilet? Don't you just stand or sit?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Maybe you should take it back to where you bought it and get an expert opinion?

Bought it from a Verizon dealer in Costco for thirty bucks...no warranty and I'm pretty sure they'll be gone now...I could go to Costco, but with no warranty I'm thinking it's too late for any return or replacement, and I doubt Costco has an expert waiting for me about my phone

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I used to sell and repair mobile phones.

Don't be tempted to put heat on it like a hairdrier. You may push water further in.

Take all the removable bits out (battery, back etc) and put it all in a bowl of dried rice. Leave it for a day or 2 in the airing cupboard. That should work.

Thank you very much I hope your right..
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Quote by strat0blaster
What I did for my Blackberry was take the back panel off, remove the battery, and put it a couple of feet away from my apartment's heat vent. It worked the next morning.

Additionally - what the hell kind of maneuver were you doing that your phone actually fell out of your hoody's pocket into the toilet? Don't you just stand or sit?

I'm going to stick with rice I heard it's effective, plus right now we aren't using much heat.

I was standing, and my phone I guess was at the edge of the pocket and when I lifted up the bottom of the hoody to get into my business it must have allowed the phone to slip out and all a sudden I heard tink on the bowl and plop in the water and "****" out of my mouth.

EDIT: but it perplexed me too, it was very very unexpected, that's why I'm pretty pissed off right now i don't really know how exactly it happened just did. I have bad karma right now though..i guess i didn't believe in that until the last couple weeks, hopefully this is the end.
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Last edited by 801Current at May 10, 2011,
Man who drop watch in toilet

bound to have shitty time.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Oh and with the rice, it says to turn the phone every hour that you can to get as much moisture as possible, and to leave it for 24 hours or more.

Would two days be good? I can probbaly go without my phone for that long if it will up my chances of success.

if not how long would be necessary
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Quote by Nameless742
Man who drop watch in toilet

bound to have shitty time.

Ha

ha

ha

Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
I dropped my phone in the toilet a few weeks back. I immediately yanked it out, but I had to go to class at the moment so I didn't have time to take the parts apart. It still works but it randomly turns off all the time. I need to get a new one soon
I ran mine through the wash a few years back. it never recovered.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
I used to store picks and pens in my breast pocket during the schools days.
Piss.
Bend over, as I flush, pick/pen falls out, enters toilet at beginning of flush.
Goodbye guitar pick...
Oh Fudge it all!
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
you can change that slip back to white with some carefully applied printer paper and glue sticks.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by ecvMatt
I ran mine through the wash a few years back. it never recovered.

I JUST did this with my Blackberry last week. It was old, so I wasn't throwing a fit, but still - it sucks having to shell out for a new phone when you don't plan for it. At least I got an iPhone.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I dropped my $500 phone into the pool while it was recording a video of me pushing a rather large friend in (funny stuff).

Anyways, I let it sit in rice for a day or two and it still didn't work. I thought I was screwed.

About a day later, though, it was super hot out and I left my broken phone in my friends car with all of the windows up while we went to class. I came back in and decided to give it one last try and, lo and behold, it turned on and has worked flawlessly ever since.

Funny thing is, this was a replacement I got about a week after I broke my first one (it was the same phone) and my insurance said I can't file two claims that soon between one another so If I didn't fix it then I would have been stuck buying another at full price.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
rice tends to work well if you take the battery and back cover off and put the parts in separately.
now extra flamey
Take the battery out and put it in the rice. It tends to work very well, I've saved many a phone and iPod that way...
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
I work in a phone shop, if you don't have insurance then you are screwed basically, people have said that the airing cupboard for about 5 days usually does the trick.
first mistake, LAST MISTAKE!!!!

currently have my septum, tongue and labret pierced
shall be starting on my ears soon
Quote by unobtainium
I work in a phone shop, if you don't have insurance then you are screwed basically, people have said that the airing cupboard for about 5 days usually does the trick.

What phone shop? I worked at Virgin Media, seeing as you're in the UK I thought you might have some opinion on that

And yeah rice is good because it soaks moisture up. Those silica gel pouches you get with new shoes do the same thing, so whack some of those in too.
If the rice trick works, be sure to celebrate by cooking up a steaming batch of rice and have a big chinese feast! You won't even notice the toilet flavor since it all tastes like shyt anyway.

On a serious note, I'd use those silica gel packs like the above poster suggested rather than rice. They work far superior to dry rice for absorbing moisture. 2 or 3 in a baggie with the phone sealed inside and 24 hrs later you should be good to go. My wife used to wear her watch at work while washing dishes and got it wet a bunch of times. This trick always worked perfectly.
I got my phone wet in the shower once. Perhaps that's a sign of texting too much... It was in a plastic baggy, though! I put it in a bowl of rice for a day, and it's completely fine now. Internal keyboard didn't work when I put it in there.
Talk about a shitty call....
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
EVen if it works today it might quit on you in a few months or so. My friend tipped a rowboat accidentally and fell in a lake with his phone in his pocket. The phone worked for around 4 months and then stopped, so he took it to a service place. The tech opened the phone and said, "What happened, did you fall in a lake with this thing?"
Quote by bloodtrocuted93
I got my phone wet in the shower once. Perhaps that's a sign of texting too much... It was in a plastic baggy, though! I put it in a bowl of rice for a day, and it's completely fine now. Internal keyboard didn't work when I put it in there.

Wait, wait, wait. Did you say that you put your phone in a plastic bag so you can text in the shower??? What the heck is that all about?