Can anybody recommend a good hollow body or semi-hollow for under $800? Hard, I know. All I got is the Italia Maranello Semi-Tone and the Ibanez AS line. Thanks!
Take a look into Epiphones.

Or some Gretsch, depending on what tone you're looking for.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
What will you be looking to play on it? Washburn and Epiphone make some good 335 style guitars that would suite rock/blues and maybe even something a little harder in that price range. If it's a jazz box you want, the Godin 5th Avenue guitars are fantastic. If you have a little more money to spend I'd try to find a second hand Heritage.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
Depending on the sound you want.

Gretsch (several models)
Fender Thinline Tele
Epiphone Lucille (the BB king copy)

Good hunting..
as cheap as they are, the epiphone dot studio's are pretty decent and you have enough money left over for new pickups and pots.

also, a gretsch electromatic (any of them) would be pretty decent. they may be a little out of the price range, but they're easy enough to get under $800 (I've done so)
Epiphone Lucille and Sheraton. (Steer clear of the Dots; a lot of the time they're built really cheaply. Contrary to popular belief you are paying for something more than gold hardware. The pickups aren't good but you'll still have some cash left over, and they play really nicely.)

Any Epiphone, really. I like the new Royales...

Hanson Chicagoan. They've got rave reviews. Never been able to find one to play, though, sadly.

Schecter Corsair. (Heard good things, almost ordered one once.)

Gretsch 5120, of course.

If you're really into the hollowbody thing (which I was), stretch your budget and go for a used ES335 or ES137. It's totally worth it.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
epiphone sheraton 2 best looking guitar for under 800 plus it sounds and plays amazingly
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
60's J bass copy (trying to sell or trade)
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

"We make music for hipster strippers" Dan Auerbach
I have a Hagstrom Viking
You should get one too
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Great recommendations, thanks so much! I'll definetely check them out. As for the tone I am looking for I love blues rock and old school rock and that's what I will be playing most but I want to be able to play some alternative rock and such. I don't want a 100% smooth jazz or blues rock guitar, something versatile but still with a style of a hollowbody so I can play some Jeff Healey and Chris Rea and then switch to some Shinedown or Rise Against if anybody knows what I am talking about. My favorite guitar is the PRS Hollowbody but at $3500 and me being in college, dont think that will happen anytime soon lol.
Last edited by animalwithin at May 10, 2011,
Quote by animalwithin
Great recommendations, thanks so much! I'll definetely check them out. As for the tone I am looking for I love blues rock and old school rock and that's what I will be playing most but I want to be able to play some alternative rock and such. I don't want a 100% smooth jazz or blues rock guitar, something versatile but still with a style of a hollowbody so I can play some Jeff Healey and Chris Rea and then switch to some Shinedown or Rise Against if anybody knows what I am talking about. My favorite guitar is the PRS Hollowbody but at $3500 and me being in college, dont think that will happen anytime soon lol.

There's also the PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow. You could have a look at those.
It has a relatively thin body and doesn't really portray a hollow body sound.
It's a more "open" solid body sort of sound, but you might like it.

And definitely have a look at those Hagström Vikings. Reasonably priced and very versatile.
I was just looking at the PRS Custom SE Semi-Hollow body. I found them online new for about $675. At my local shop the price tag is about $695 new. I played one the other night and it was buttery smooth. The body was thinner, and it was easy to play. Felt really good in my (small) hands! I liked the sound. Seemed versatile enough as well.

I really wasn't planning on dropping almost $700 on another guitar anytime soon, but after playing it, I am seriously considering buying it. Is there any other semi-hollow or hollow body in that price range that you think compares? I was seriously impressed with the guitar as a whole for that price.