I have my eye on this one used guitar on eBay for a great price, but am a bit wary to buy it because the listing states that there are two finish cracks about an inch long by the headstock. They are not very noticeable cosmetically but I don't know if I should avoid buying the guitar because of this. Is it possible that they could get worse or become a problem If I purchase the guitar? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: the cracks are actually by the first fret on the neck
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
Last edited by chrisg7 at May 10, 2011,
Cracks in the finish are no big deal. In fact, they are a part of the life of a guitar. Look at what people pay for "relic-ized" new guitars these days.

A finish crack won't harm the guitar, and most of them can be repaired easily if you want to go that route. However, you need to make absolutely certain that the crack is in the finish and not in the wood.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
what sort of guitar is it?

cracks running along the length of the neck (near the headstock end) on a LP type guitar may be a sign that the headstock has been struck hard over the years. damage to the body usually isn't a big deal, but anything to the neck (especially the headstock area) shouldn't be taken lightly. as much as it is probably nothing, it would be advisable to check with somebody who knows the specific type of guitar well
Quote by krehzeekid
what sort of guitar is it?

cracks running along the length of the neck (near the headstock end) on a LP type guitar may be a sign that the headstock has been struck hard over the years. damage to the body usually isn't a big deal, but anything to the neck (especially the headstock area) shouldn't be taken lightly. as much as it is probably nothing, it would be advisable to check with somebody who knows the specific type of guitar well

Thanks for all the informative replies, it's a Jackson soloist

edit: pics

Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
Last edited by chrisg7 at May 10, 2011,
That is not a finish crack. That looks like a repaired binding or the fret board coming off.

*edit* the more I look at it looks like the fret board was coming off and some glue was added. That is not a finish crack.

Here is a neck that I need to repair. Looks almost the same just no binding.
My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader
Last edited by Air_Vengeance at May 10, 2011,
Quote by chrisg7
Thanks for all the informative replies, it's a Jackson soloist

edit: pics

That definitely looks like more than just a finish crack to me. I would probably stay away from it unless you have the chance to check it out in person first.

I bought a guitar once that had a crack that was much lighter than that (barely even noticeable), and it turned out to be a structural crack and not just in the finish.
Ah man, I knew it was too good to be true :\
Quote by wolvenrick
that is a guitar that has taken a solid hit to the headstock. in some cases, its not really a big deal (my epiphone is a mild case), but thats pretty ugly

pass