I am looking to get a Telecaster to add to my collection, and have been told to get the cheaper Squier Tele, and upgrade various bits to get fender quality.

What would you suggest upgrading? And with what?
The bridge, the saddle screws on mine are all rusted to hell. Of course I got this one third hand, but still its not that old and those things are rusted beyond belief (to the point that they alter the action/intonation of the guitar)
Look at the Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster. As long as you like the stock pickups, the only thing to change out is the bridge. You could try a compensated vintage model like the Joe Barden, but in my experience you are better off just getting a modern six-saddle replacement. It will make a big difference in your intonation.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
consider NOT buying a squier and then spending more money on replacing mostly everything to get fender quality.

instead just go and get mia or mim tele, it would be much better and probably cheaper in the long run.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by EvilWaffles
I am looking to get a Telecaster to add to my collection, and have been told to get the cheaper Squier Tele, and upgrade various bits to get fender quality.

What would you suggest upgrading? And with what?

Upgrade the pots at least. get a nice set of 250K ones.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
troll post would be to just replace the neck, body, hardware and electronics

more seriously, though:

Quote by dr_john
consider NOT buying a squier and then spending more money on replacing mostly everything to get fender quality.

instead just go and get mia or mim tele, it would be much better and probably cheaper in the long run.

+1

(though the classic vibes might be the exception, i haven't tried them, by all accounts they're pretty nice)

Don't get me wrong, if a guitar is perfect except for one thing (pickups and electronics, say), then upgrades can save you a lot of money, and often be better than anything you'd get off-the-shelf without spending crazy money (not too many guitars short of the really high end boutique ones come with handwound pickups, say).

But if you're buying a guitar where you have to upgrade nearly everything... yeah, not too sure of the point of that. you can normally just get a guitar which already has all the upgrades, and which probably is a better guitar to boot, for not much more than the price of the upgrades...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I am looking at the Xaviere Tele's ($169) at guitarfetish and from what I hear they are pretty solid. If I do go for the squier though I played the tele custom and the classic vibe at the store and they were both pretty nice. I hear squiers vary though so buy the one you like to play at the store so then you get a better run of the batch.