There's a Peavey XXL head on the bay now right with a day left at 140 bucks starting bidding with no bids. I've never personally played one but I need an amp head on the cheap and I don't mind SS at all. Is this be something I should be looking at closely? Because my other option was either a randall head or the TBX150H from ibby and I don't know how the peavey XXL sounds in person (freakin' finals not letting me try things out ) but yeah, how's this head?
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Last edited by Krauser at May 10, 2011,
They're supposed to be ok solid state heads.. Its better then a toneblaster but so are stds better then a toneblaster..
i wouldnt pay much more then the starting bid if i was you though..
Word I hear you... ugh why must I be broke haha. Solid state seems to be my only option right now unless I grab a deal on something or get really lucky... I'm playing deathcore and I need to keep up with a 6505+ / Mesa 4X12 but do so on the cheap... Budget would be 500 for an amp head and cab... I know... my options are slim to none haha
Taylor 214CE

Not a big fan of SS amps, but this one is pretty solid (no pun intended). Has a good tone and would probably be one of the few SS amps I'd gig with. That being said, I'd still take plenty of tube amps over it. But it's a good SS amp.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by Krauser
Word I hear you... ugh why must I be broke haha. Solid state seems to be my only option right now unless I grab a deal on something or get really lucky... I'm playing deathcore and I need to keep up with a 6505+ / Mesa 4X12 but do so on the cheap... Budget would be 500 for an amp head and cab... I know... my options are slim to none haha

Hunt around for a peavey ultra head you should be able to pick one up fairly cheap.
Then you can budget for a used 2x12
Ok sounds good. And a legitimate question. My other guitarist has, like I said, the 6505 and the 4x12 but it never goes past 4 volume wise. This is seriously making me question whether I need a half stack because a 2x12 combo will probably be fine as well... although getting a combo makes me legitimately question whether it'll be enough. I'm new to amp heads/cabs as I've never owned one and this is the first fully legitimate time I've worked/established a band that does more than just jam in a basement.
Taylor 214CE

I was hunting around on Guitar Center's used site earlier and there was a Peavey Ultra 2x12 combo for $250. I just checked and it is still there. It's probably worth a look.
Quote by iro-bot31
I was hunting around on Guitar Center's used site earlier and there was a Peavey Ultra 2x12 combo for $250. I just checked and it is still there. It's probably worth a look.

That's the one in Iowa right? If so, are they gonna bother shipping one out? I've personally gotten most if not all of my used stuff from ebay or other sources but never GC. I assume used stuff in store only and I'm in PA (just moved there) and NJ (which is just as easy for me because I just moved from there so it's not a problem to head anywhere in north NJ). I'm just more concerned about whether or not a 2x12 is going to keep up with the 4x12 and 6505 volume and tone wise.
Taylor 214CE

Quote by Krauser
Ok sounds good. And a legitimate question. My other guitarist has, like I said, the 6505 and the 4x12 but it never goes past 4 volume wise. This is seriously making me question whether I need a half stack because a 2x12 combo will probably be fine as well... although getting a combo makes me legitimately question whether it'll be enough. I'm new to amp heads/cabs as I've never owned one and this is the first fully legitimate time I've worked/established a band that does more than just jam in a basement.

if you are both running at the same / simmilar wattage amps the levels they put out will be virtually the same if its a 2x12 combo or a 4x12.

the 4x12 will put out a bigger spread of sound and as such sound fuller because there are 4 speakers. but really a 2x12 combo or head and 2x12 cab is more than sufficient to gig with.

and if you are looking at combo's it does open up a whole heap more options for you
GC ships all the other stuff, so why not amps?
It might just cost a lot for shipping.
I guess you could give them a ring and see what they say.
At this point I just need the volume and tone to be sufficient to keep up and be heard and I frankly don't mind if it's a cabinet and head or a combo. Combo's are probably going to be cheaper than a head and a cab (2x12 or 4x12 considered) and as much as it would be nice to have a 4x12 and head, the practicality of dragging all of it around/the price isn't worth it to me if I can get the same thing out of a 2x12 setup, combo or not... I'm just kinda overwhelmed with the options...

EDIT: There's a 2x12 Peavey XXL combo in PA near me for 250. I don't know if it's worth it or not...
Taylor 214CE

the xxl is not a bad amp. For 150, it is probably the best metal gigging amp you'll find that isn't an insane one in a million deal
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
2x12 combos are dirt cheap for a reason.
They're heavy and a pain.

Head and 2x12 cab is better to transport

Atleast for metal i know theres a few classic 2x12 combos like ac30s etc.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at May 10, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus
2x12 combos are dirt cheap for a reason.
They're heavy and a pain.

Head and 2x12 cab is better to transport

Atleast for metal i know theres a few classic 2x12 combos like ac30s etc.

What do you mean by a pain? Sheerly because of the weight? Because if it's cheaper and sounds the same as the head and the cab separate, i'll get over the increased weight
Taylor 214CE

Head and 2x12 is easier to transport
my main gripe is with a 2x12 combo alot of high gain ones such as the ultras are open back which kinda sucks for high gain

I went from an ultra 2x12 to a ultra plus and 2x12 cab and the difference is

Plus opens you up to options really.

It can be done if hunt around you can get pretty decent for 500 dollars if your patient etc.

Main problem i've had is that 2x12 combos are hard to resell again if you ever want to go that route.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Head and 2x12 is easier to transport
my main gripe is with a 2x12 combo alot of high gain ones such as the ultras are open back which kinda sucks for high gain

I went from an ultra 2x12 to a ultra plus and 2x12 cab and the difference is

Plus opens you up to options really.

It can be done if hunt around you can get pretty decent for 500 dollars if your patient etc.

Main problem i've had is that 2x12 combos are hard to resell again if you ever want to go that route.

I see. Either that or I could put all the money into a good used head and wait on the cab... might sound outlandish, but can you run two heads on mono into one cab in stereo? Or am I just being ridiculous haha?

EDIT: How's the 333XL? I was always skeeved out by it because a friend of mine's gave him so much crap but I always loved the tone from it for metal? That said, there's a few local on craigslist at 350 and that's enough where I could grab a cab with it anyway... I'm just iffy on the quality knowing what I've heard and the experience my pal had with his own...
Taylor 214CE

A friend of mine had a Peavey solid state (dont remember which model) and when me and him would jam for fun he was unable to stay in the mix well with my 6260.
combo into head/cab splitting is really not that bad. just build a new head cab and seal up the back on the existing 2x12' and maybe the front, just see what sounds best.

i will often buy a combo just to pull the chassis, sell the cabinet part of it, get a substantial amount of money for the cab part (i made $120 once and kept the chassis), and build the chassis a new head cab.

just food for thought.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
honestly if you like the 333, the peavey ultra/xxx is what it is based off of and i'd be much more comfortable with a peavey. I have owned 3 peavey amps. One was made around 2000 i think. Never had a single problem. One made in 1993, no problems. Then I had a classic 30 made in 1994 that eventually died on me. BUT it was 11 years old, gigged with heavily in bars and took a lot of beatings before i even bought it, and the only problem was the transformer died. I could have fixed it for 175, but they told me it probably isnt worht it because i'd be putting more into it than it is worth. Peaveys are known for their durablilty.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Why not use the 500 dollar budget on a tube combo.
You dont need a stack
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by slipknot_420
Why not use the 500 dollar budget on a tube combo.
You dont need a stack

That's what I was considering but I'm concerned a combo won't keep up with my other guitarist's half-stack.
Taylor 214CE

It will... I've played through many a 212 tube combo... and it will definitely keep up with a stack as long as the wattages are similar.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Get that Ultra. For 250, it's great. It will keep up with your bandmate, no problems.

Also, your cleans are going to sound better than his, though if you have to turn it up too much, they're not going to stay clean.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Last edited by AtaBorMan at May 11, 2011,