Hey all,

So I got a my new amp today, a Blackstar Ht-5. After a lot of research on this site and others as well as numerous trips to the guitar store I decided that the Blackstar had everything that I needed in a low watt tube amp. I decided to include an updated family photo with the pics of the amp, even I feel like i'm starting to have to many guitars, although they are all in different tunings. Unfortunately I was having some difficulty figuring out how to get the photos to appear in the post and with the size of the photo's so bear with me as some parts may be cut off and you will have to follow the links.

Anyway on to the review:

I've only had the amp for a day and I've done a fair bit of playing with it. Firstly it's a nice step up from my crate flexwave 65, obviously not as loud (which is what I wanted), but the tone is much better. It seems to be built quite well although the footswitch that came with it doesn't work. I already made arrangements to revisit the guitar store and have it replaced. I can't comment on the FX loop because I don't have anything to use with it yet lol, the amp does sound quite good with my crybaby though. I've tried the emulated output into garageband and it's definitely an improvement over the garageband amp models which was a main selling point for me.

The clean channel I find leaves something to be desired as it breaks up quite early but when it's cranked I really like the OD tone I get from it, obviously not good for clean parts though lol. I think the clean channel could really be brought out by some reverb which unfortunately this amp doesn't have, although I intend to get a pedal.

The OD channel is really nice. It is quite versatile and is perfect for me as I play everything from classic rock - alternative/grunge - thrash metal (like Megadeth) - newer rock/metal (Distrubed, A7X, Alterbridge and Rise Against ). I don't think it would really work for death or black metal but that's not something I play anyway and I could be wrong. I haven't really figured out where my sweet spot is on the ISF yet, but I find myself gravitating towards the U.S. side, it is a nice feature to have even if I end up just using one side most of the time.

IMHO Overall I think it's a great little amp. It seems here on UG for the most part people love this amp just as much as they hate the line 6 spiders (which I agree are atrocious btw), and I'm definitely really enjoying the amp. It's not perfect (what amp is), but for a small practice amp that delivers on tone and features, as long as your not looking for an amp to play tons of clean blues and jazz stuff, then I think it fits the bill perfectly and I am enjoying my first experience with owning and constantly playing through a tube amp.
Attachments:
front 1.jpg
Back panel 1.jpg
Controls 1.jpg
Family Photo 1.jpg
Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Generation EXP
Fender American FSR Stratocaster
Norman B20 CW Folk
1971 Hagstrom Jimmy Acoustic
Blackstar Ht-5
Boss DN-2
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Memory Toy
TC Hall of Fame
Boss RC-3
Quote by greeny23
nice little all tube amp!

I C WUT U DID THAR
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Please don't start that war greeny lol

HNAD! Hope it treats you well.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
HNAD TS

I wonder how long before you want to change it though....

I've had 3 and each time I find myself baffled as to why I do.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Don't start that discussion in this thread, please.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by greeny23
nice little all tube amp!

Really Tim?

HNAD man

Enjoy it
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Thx all. I will enjoy it.

@Tom 1.0: I can only hope that this one will stick and I won't end up getting rid of it and then getting buying it again 3 times lol
Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Generation EXP
Fender American FSR Stratocaster
Norman B20 CW Folk
1971 Hagstrom Jimmy Acoustic
Blackstar Ht-5
Boss DN-2
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Memory Toy
TC Hall of Fame
Boss RC-3
HNAD!

@greeny23:

*Back! In! The! Hole!*

*whack*

*whack*

*whack*
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
I sure hope you don't get sick of it like I did..

I nearly regret buying it now, both in terms of tone & wattage.

But having said that.. When I bought it, it was PERFECT for what I played. My entire style has changed..