I have this Idea to build a machine that would strum the guitar 24/7, to make it wear in faster. My question is, seeing as though the strings will detune quite a lot and quite often, can tonewood actually 'pick up' these bad frequencies, and sound like crap afterwards?
Last edited by thecarofmiki at May 10, 2011,
If your talking Acoustic guitars, they already have a small device that you plug into a wall outlet that sits atop your strings that emits ultra high frequencies. It can accomplish in one week what years of actual playing can do for the tone woods of an acoustic, or in some cases a hollow or semi-hollow body guitar. I can't remember the name of it though... I'll have to look it up and get back to you on that.
My Rig: Gibson SG Menace
Gibson Les Paul Menace (Heavy Modded Project)
PRS Mike Mushok Baritone
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone Dot Deluxe
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Epiphone Worn '66 Wilshire
Egnater 15W Tweaker, 112 Cab
And the name of the device is Tonerite for guitar.
PRS Mike Mushok Baritone
Epiphone Dot Deluxe
I do retract what I said about it "doing in one week what can take years of playing to accomplish."(did a little more research of my own) The thing isn't a direct replacement for playing the damn thing, it just helps bring out the tone. At bare minimum it takes at least 72 hours of uninterrupted use for it to even have any effect at all. It also isn't noiseless, although it is quiet. Will it make it sound like a guitar made pre1950? Definitely not! Might it help bring out some tone in your guitar? Maybe. Nothing but a small device that sits atop your strings and vibrates a little bit to make the strings and the wood ring and vibrate a little. I've had several luthiers recommend it because it does help a little. It doesn't make a crap guitar good, it just helps bring out the tone qualities of your wood a little better. Its a well known fact that years of extended play works wonders for tone woods in stringed instruments, this device just emulates the effect of long term play on a very small scale. Do a little research before you start spouting your anti-tech BS all over for the world to see.
PRS Mike Mushok Baritone
Epiphone Dot Deluxe
The wood in a guitar can certainly react to being subject to vibrations for extended periods of time. I don't know how that's so crazy. There's no magic involved, it's just the cellular structure responding to its environment. The effect is smaller with guitars than with other instruments that tend to have more delicate construction, but any string player would tell you that their instrument sounds different after sitting for a long period of time compared to after it's been played in for a few months.
Maybe that's why my rebuilt acoustic sounds OK, in spite of the mistakes I made.