After a long search, I've finally found band members. Although, our bass player has never played before and doesn't have equipment, so my questions is: Can you practice playing the bass guitar with your standard guitar???
At rehearsals and gigs, she will have a bass (which belongs to the drummer) but she'll need to practice outside of just rehearsals. Our school has A LOT of guitars that we can use at lunch and I was wondering if that could work for the time being??? I don't know a lot about the bass so I'm sorry if this ends up being a really stupid question.
Last edited by Mo819 at May 12, 2011,
Nope.

While it is technically the same notes and fingering, she wouldn't build up the necessary finger strength, learn the right picking technique, or learn the feel for the bass. She'd really need to be able to have those three things in order to perform.

Also, don't worry this isn't a stupid question.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I think that she'll either have to hire or purchase a bass for home use. You can get some pretty good cheap ones around, Yamaha RBX series immediately comes to mind.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
As someone who plays guitar and bass, I can tell you this. The past year or so I've been focusing on guitar, pretty much ignoring bass, and whenever I try to play something on bass it generally sounds awful.

One thing that may do in a pinch is to have her play guitar with an octave drop pedal through a bass amp during performances. It's not ideal, but it worked for the White Stripes.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Quote by Mephysteaux

One thing that may do in a pinch is to have her play guitar with an octave drop pedal through a bass amp during performances. It's not ideal, but it worked for the White Stripes.

Done it, doesn't sound good. She really does need to buy one in order to make it sound right and (as stated above) build proper finger strength/technique.
Quote by AllenHB
Seriously you're thinking about music theory all wrong. It doesn't tell you how to write, it' examines what's already written.
Thanks for the replies... I know she's really broke right now (we all are :P) but hopefully we can work something out
Quote by Mo819
Thanks for the replies... I know she's really broke right now (we all are :P) but hopefully we can work something out

Have you asked the drummer if she can borrow or hire the bass out?
Quote by Cowless

This^
It seems like a pretty obvious answer to the problem really.
Quote by Cowless

Yeah for real. Is your drummer that selfish?
I hate my sig
it is kind of a stupid question, get her a bass. and seeing as its a her dont date her no matter what. too many bands broke up because members broke up
I like shotguns. thats all you need to know
@cowless : Yupp, drummer's dad wasn't too happy about that so it just has to be gigs and rehearsals

@slashermaster : Yeahh, we are going to have her get one. We always were. I just wanted to know if we could use this as an alternative while she gets some cash.
And haha no worries, I'm a girl too. But I'll keep that in mind if we get a guy to join ;P
she could learn the songs on guitar, but you can't learn to p[lay bass on a guitar.
no sir away a papaya war is on