Hi guys! I want to change pickups. My Pacifica is a great guitar, only stock pickups are not what I want. I`m trying to nail that Hendrix- SRV tone. To be more specific, I like SRV`s El Mocambo tone and Jimi`s tone from Little Wing, Voodoo Child and Red House (Woodstock version). Is there anyone who has or has heard Pacifica with 69 pickups? How close will that get me to the sound I want? Thanks!!
my pacifica sounds great with a pearly gates humbucker into a fender hot rod deluxe - gets a great blues tone

What amp you using? - that gets you 99% of the way to your tone
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I`m too far from considering of buying a good amp like you have. I have Marshall dfx 30w wich I don`t use, I get better sounds with Amplitube 3. I was thinking to start with pickups for now.
Quote by doive
my pacifica sounds great with a pearly gates humbucker into a fender hot rod deluxe - gets a great blues tone

What amp you using? - that gets you 99% of the way to your tone

Humbuckers will not get you this tone.

Quote by littlewing2
I`m too far from considering of buying a good amp like you have. I have Marshall dfx 30w wich I don`t use, I get better sounds with Amplitube 3. I was thinking to start with pickups for now.

PLEASE don't buy new pickups. They will not help at all with that amp, or with software. A good tube amp will get you much closer.

When it comes to pickups, the CS 69's are good for a less bassy hendrix tone, Texas Specials are good for the SRV tone, although the tone from El Mocambo is hard to replicate, since he was using two completely different amps at the same time there, so getting the same high end bark with the added bass is tough.
Thanks Hawk5211. I know that it`s all true what you said. My plan is to start with pickups for now, I need more time to collect money for a nice tube amp. But tell me this: how would my Pacifica with stock pickups sound with tube amp? Not good I guess...so I have to change them either way. Right?
Quote by littlewing2
Thanks Hawk5211. I know that it`s all true what you said. My plan is to start with pickups for now, I need more time to collect money for a nice tube amp. But tell me this: how would my Pacifica with stock pickups sound with tube amp? Not good I guess...so I have to change them either way. Right?

I have never played a pacifica, so I can't comment on it directly, but I have had several cheap squiers, which are a similar type of guitar.

The difference between my MIA Stratocaster and my Squier affinity strat were negligible when played through both of my cheap solid state fenders. When I bought a tube amp the difference in tone was MUCH more noticeable. For what its worth, a tube amp will expose the lackluster tone of ceramic pickups.

Buying pickups right now will have very little effect on your tone, and is effectivly money wasted. Once you have a tube amp, you will start to learn more about how your instrument sounds, and it will likely change your decision on what type of pickups to go for. For me, I was all ready to get 57/62's, but after I got my blues junior, I realized that the Texas Specials were more to my liking. It was a great decision.

I know it is hard, but don't be tempted to spend money on pickups now simply because they are a much cheaper upgrade than a new amp. I've been there, and its tough to resist, but its much better in the long run. HOWEVER, once you have a good amp, don't hesitate to keep your pacifica with upgraded pickups around. Cheap guitars with the right mods can sound really good, and they often have a very unique character to them. For me, I have an american strat worth a total of about $1500 after all the mods, and 4 Squiers with a combined value of about $1000, and I love all of them. It's all about having a guitar that you like the feel of, since the electronics can always be changed to make the guitar sound more like what is in your head.

Wall of text, but I hope it helps you.
Quote by littlewing2

Why don't you think your guitar won't sound good through a tube amp. I've got news for you, there are hundreds, thousands of gigging guitarists who've never changed the pickups in their guitars and couldn't care less about doing it. It isn't something you have to do, let's face it, if guitars sounded absolute shit with their stock pickups nobody would buy them in the first place. Your guitar will sound fine through a tube amp, it will certainly sound better for bluesy tones and will most likely sound good.

Pickups aren't magic tone improvers, most of the time the change you get from them is subtle. You just seem to have latched onto the notion of changing pickups because everybody talks about it on the Internet. Fact of the matter is you probably won't even notice a difference...it took me a couple of years before I could reliably distinguish single coils from humbuckers on a record, let alone different types of pickup!

You want blues, you want a tube amp - modelling technology is always improving but the one area it always falls short for me is those mid-gain breakup tones and that's what tubes do best.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks hawk and steven! As we came this far let me ask you another one: what tube amp should I buy? You know which guitar do I have and what tone I want. I`ll play only in my bedroom, no gigs or stages. And nothing too expensive, let`s say nothing over $500. Thanks guys!!
i had played the cub 10 of laney and there is the cub12r..both well under 500 and i liked them

there is also the blues junior to ocnsider
I really like the Fender super champ, modeling front end, tube output. It can do a great impression of old tweed style and BF Fenders. If are hell bent on having an all-tube amp, a Blues Junior can fit the bill, though it's a little bit different from your "classic" Fender sounds but still pretty fitting for your styles.

Hendrix played through Marshalls though. I think he used a few other amps here and there, like a twin reverb, a sunn, but the sort of "signature" sound was a strat into a Marshall and occasionally a fuzz face pushing the front end. It's going to be very hard to get that vintage Marshall sound at your budget. I honestly don't know any amps that really do a good job of it for less than $1500.
I know I can`t match the exact sound but I think I could come close. Blues Junior is on my mind right now...
Quote by littlewing2
I know I can`t match the exact sound but I think I could come close. Blues Junior is on my mind right now...

As it should be, since its a great amp.

I like mine, and once I do a few mods to it it will be perfect.
Well the verdict is no, I can't seem to get that tone. I can match the dynamics, but with a clean tone. Neither my TS808 or my Blues driver can get the same mix of clean light picking and distorted hard picking.

That technique of having the amp respond to the dynamics of your picking was very integral to SRV's playing, especially on that track (i'm watching the video right now actually), and that is something i can't get my BJ to do for whatever reason. Tube amps tend to distort when you play them very loud. The BJ is no different in this respect, but the overdriven sound it gives at loud volumes isn't really SRV style.

So in short, I can't get that tone, but it may be possible. When it comes to tones that this rig nails, listen to Texas Flood from that concert. I have that tone nailed, now I just have to keep up the finger strength for those big bends lol.