Which pedals would I use to get a shimmering tone for my guitar? I use the flanger effect from my Line 6 Spider IV 30 to get it, but its not practical to have to change channels in the middle of the song to get rid of it. (Sounds like crap over my lower stuff) So what pedals would you recommend for that shimmering tone?

Ive looked at flanger demos on youtube but none seem to give off that shimmer that I want, and all the demos focus on the sweep that comes out of the flanger for lower notes, rather than what can be accomplished on the higher notes.

I would use it for mainly arpeggiating, sweeping, and just general shredding. So what recommendations?
Quote by ethan_hanus
Reverb, you usually don't need to take it off, and it'll give some extra life to your leads, and make your rhythm thicker.

Not a reverb fan at all sorry, I have the tone I want for my rhythms, its just the leads I want to nail down. And Ive looked at chorus pedals, they dont sound like the type that I'm looking for. Im sorry I cant describe the tone I want better than "shimmering"
Voodoo Lab makes a pedal called Sparkle Drive....but I don't think thats what you're looking for. I'm not too sure what you mean by shimmering, can you post a link to something similar of what you're trying to get?
So what about a delay? "Shimmering" is a kind of vague term. I envision dirty AC30 chime, Blackface cleans, and very bright and echoing tones when you say "shimmering". Could you give an artist or song as an example of the tone?
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Sometimes there is only so much you can do with a certain guitar / amp...

when I think "shimmering" I think Fender...
---
Quote by calnix
Voodoo Lab makes a pedal called Sparkle Drive....but I don't think thats what you're looking for. I'm not too sure what you mean by shimmering, can you post a link to something similar of what you're trying to get?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSz6br6lUOA&feature=related

Best example I can find, I don't want it nearly as overdone though. (cause that doesn't even sound like guitar anymore)
are you talking about the bright chiminess in his arppegiated notes?
The bright shimmering part of his sound is what I want, not overdone to video game quality though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmWBQgiqjtY

lololol

try using your neck pickup and some delay
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
tubes, eq, chorus and reverb and patience with a lot of small tweaking. sometimes the slightest twist of the knob can find that elusive sweet spot. i agree with Ibanez 44 as well on the neck pickup for sure. there are alot of variables that can give that can effect tone. ie.. pickups used, tubes in your amp etc..
Last edited by dsbcc at May 10, 2011,
Quote by InanezGuitars44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmWBQgiqjtY

lololol

try using your neck pickup and some delay

Don't have a neck pickup, Im using an Alexi Laiho model guitar, and just purely delay never seems to work for me.

I'm thinking now a chorus/flange combo would work good, now any recomendations for that?
Great tones, "shimmering" or otherwise come from great guitars, great amps and great technique, not pedals.
honestly i doubt you can get exactly what you are looking for with that hot of pickup and only in the bridge position. you get that warm chime from the neck pickup
Quote by BobDetroit
Great tones, "shimmering" or otherwise come from great guitars, great amps and great technique, not pedals.

Your not quite getting the point of what Im asking. My amp that I have provides the tone, Im just looking for another way to get it, because its not practical to switch settings around on my amp in the middle of a song, just to get that sound. I need to switch because I dont like using that tone for my rhythms.
Quote by SeanyFens
Your not quite getting the point of what Im asking. My amp that I have provides the tone, Im just looking for another way to get it, because its not practical to switch settings around on my amp in the middle of a song, just to get that sound. I need to switch because I dont like using that tone for my rhythms.

Maybe you could set amp to that tone on one channel and use pedals on the other channel and pedals for your rhythm sound.
Quote by SeanyFens

So what you're really asking is I need a footswitch for a Line6 Spider?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-FBV-Express-MKII-Guitar-Footswitch-105462949-i1471775.gc?source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=524974438
But the thing is I would still have to stop playing and switch channels in the middle of a song, thats what Im trying to avoid by getting a effect that I can just stomp on and off.

EDIT: and for the above person
Ive looked into a footswitch for my amp, and I figure getting a high quality effects pedal will provide a better lead tone for me supercedes getting just a footswitch.
Last edited by SeanyFens at May 10, 2011,
Quote by SeanyFens
But the thing is I would still have to stop playing and switch channels in the middle of a song, thats what Im trying to avoid by getting a effect that I can just stomp on and off.

Amp Not footswitchable?
EDIT: and for the above person
Ive looked into a footswitch for my amp, and I figure getting a high quality effects pedal will provide a better lead tone for me supercedes getting just a footswitch.

To quote myself...
well since you said that you use a flanger at the moment to get the sound, but you don't want to buy the switch for your amp, how about you just go buy a flanger and be done with it
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
well since you said that you use a flanger at the moment to get the sound, but you don't want to buy the switch for your amp, how about you just go buy a flanger and be done with it

Ive checked out flanger demos online, and they dont seem to give off the sound that I want. Thats why I asked online here hoping for some advice from people that know what they're doing and how to get the tones I need.
the thing is if you buy a floorboard for you amp you can set different channels for different sounds and you don't have to stop to switch it. I had a flextone II for years that I used that way I had the floorboard with my rhythm sound on one switch and my lead right beside it. the line 6 stuff is pretty decent I have a X3live that use through my Marshall haze 40 now and have it set up pretty much the same way i just use it to enhance the amp. and an mxr eq to push and pull freqs that really helps tons with the line 6 stuff.
Last edited by dsbcc at May 10, 2011,
Quote by SeanyFens
Ive checked out flanger demos online, and they dont seem to give off the sound that I want. Thats why I asked online here hoping for some advice from people that know what they're doing and how to get the tones I need.

You've got to remember that with a flanger (as with most fx) there is a very wide range of sounds they can make, I have a shabby old Rocktek flanger that I use for adding texture to my lead sound much as you describe and it's capable of going from a fairly subtle chorus-like warble to the gnarley jet plane type sounds I'm guessing you're hearing in YouTube demos. Long story short: If the flanger effect on your Spyder is doing it for you then more than likely a flanger pedal will too, you may just have to spend some time tweaking the controls to find the sound you want.
Dude, once and for all..

You can't get a better tone out of a Line6 Spider by sticking pedals in front of it.
Quote by BobDetroit
Dude, once and for all..

You can't get a better tone out of a Line6 Spider by sticking pedals in front of it.

That's not what he's trying to do, he just want to be able to drop a single effect in and out of his sound
Quote by Waylanderau
That's not what he's trying to do, he just want to be able to drop a single effect in and out of his sound

which is easiest done by using a footswitch which is available. TS you dont seem to understand that just pressing a button on the floor is all you have to do, you can still play whilst switching which is something else you seem to be going on about. you can program it to have the tone you want with and without the effect you want and will cost you not that much

i do agree that you wont be able to get a decent tone out of it by getting an effects pedal
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
post a youtube vid of what you want
- Cody

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
What a faggot, do a few lines of cocaine and have a shot of whiskey or 5 if you want to study right