What careers could one get if they study music in college? I know there are many different fields, so a list of the "main" fields of music would be great too.

I'm thinking about getting a degree in music but I don't have much time to look up all of the info so some condensed information would be great. Thank you
teacher. performer. producer. manager. pick one, go to school. anything else is bullshit like music therapy **** that
For majors you'd have to decide between Composition, Performance, Jazz Studies (Performance), Production, Music Ed, Music Theory, Conducting, or Jazz Composition...those are the main ones at least.

You could get jobs playing freelance or for some type of band, writing music, producing music, or teaching music
Starbucks.

Just kidding. The first thing that comes to mind is teaching or performing. If you do some business study with that you could look at management too. Also if you take the tech courses, you could look into production.

Look into the offered music degrees and programs at the college you are planning on attending. If you're planning on paying to attend a college to get a degree in something (especially if you're planning on attending a university... $$$) and devoting all that time and energy, I think you should make some time to do some basic preliminary research of your own. Unless Starbucks sounds right to you, of course.
Last edited by The Knife at May 10, 2011,
I would really think hard before going into that field. There are a lot more people in that course than there are jobs, and seeing as we are still in a recession and there isnt a bright light at the end of it I would look to go into something that a bit safer. You can always minor in music if thats really what you want to do. But you have to be something freaking amazing to make it, its a tough field.
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.

-Voltaire

So it is written.
Make a list of all the jobs that you can get with a 4 year music degree fresh from graduation...

...still thinking?

That's okay, I'll give you some time.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Duffman123
Dear readers...(sig)

That shits impressive.
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
Quote by The Knife
Oh okay gotcha. Sorry if that sounded jack-arsey.

oh, it's fine I just wanted to clarify lol

I still have some time to choose. I might just take some music electives in college because(as someone pointed out) it's hard as **** to go anywhere in music with a degree.
I am a music major. Let it be known:

If you think your degree is going to do the job for you, you're already on the wrong track.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

If you think your degree is going to do the job for you, you're already on the wrong track.

+1000

as if this is some system where you're confined to doing what your degree is in. people are so strange.
#DTWD
True story: many places and opportunities of work don't even check your degree at all. If you claim you went to Harvard, you "went to Harvard". What I've been suspecting for a while and hearing from my peers (even medical/science fields), employers don't confirm.

So you wanna study music? Great. Study the shit out of it, but you have to not only become a valuable musical asset, but you also have to have good business and interpersonal skills, as well as a strong portfolio. That's what's going to get you in the door, not the fact that you aced all the harmony exams and you have a certificate to prove it.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
It doesn't matter what your degree is. If you don't get out there & work to get a job, it won't matter in this economy. In the best of economies, there's no huge call for music majors. However, you can do it...IF you work your ass off.
Quote by Xiaoxi

This statement is valid for all majors.

Start doing the research TS, have a backup plan aswell.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
The most likely outcome will be either teaching music or working a fulltime job baking burgers at McDonalds.

Most other options are really hard to get accepted into and make money with, and you're never certain when that flow of $$$ is going to end.

As with any major, letting your degree do the work for you is a bad idea and will come back to bite you in the buttocks.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at May 11, 2011,