i found nearly a hundred bucks in change today and i want a wah. I play mostly metal but with the wah i'll also be doing some classic hendrix stuff. I'm looking for something that has a really wide sweep range and will sound very good with high gain stuff. Bullet for my valentine has the type of sounds i'm looking for with their use of a wah. i've had a 535q in the past with a shitty amp so i'm willing to try that again but i wanted to know if there is anything else i should try and look for. i am considering the kirk hammet crybaby because the reviews i've seen of it sound pretty good. im going to try and save money and go used. i know my local guitar center has a used 535q and a morley bad horsie for only a little bit more. Suggestions?
I just bought the KH Sig. a few weeks ago. Love the sound. According to what I've read here and there, it has a wider range than the original 535Q. I never compared it myself though, I just heard alot of good about it so I bought it. Haven't been sorry so far.
i assume that it does well with high gain? it will be used alot as a treble boost during solos as well. the issue i had with the 535q was that i felt like the sweep wasnt wide enough with gain. should i run it through my effects loop?
^ Traditionally, wah is placed before distortion. Ignore my sig for now as I have a fuzz before my wah for more exaggerated sounds. Placing the wah in an effects loop will yield a similar result to placing a dirt box before a wah, and it's not an overly practical sound for typical lead work (I find at least).

I'm afraid I'm not intimate with the 535q, but isn't there a parameter on it to control the sweep range on it?
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
ya, it has a sweep control, q parameter, and a small switch on the side for a little more "oomph" thatll add a small amount of gain. the only thing im hesitant on is the pressure activated part of the bad horsie. during solos i like to turn it on and just leave the to all the way down for a really nice treble boost and i dont want to have to just leave my foot on it the whole time... so i'm definately leaning toward crybabies. and im not a huge fan of the vox wah's either.
*shrug* a wah is a wah. It's a relatively simple circuit, and whatever you get can be modded and tweaked to suit your personal preference, assuming you're handy with a soldering iron. There's not much difference between a Crybaby and a Vox tbh. I think one or two component changes will turn a crybaby into the standard vox (V-something, I forget the model) and vice versa.

As far as using it as a treble boost, that's your call I suppose. A Parked Wah might also be an option for you in that application. I'm afraid I don't know of any offhand, but I know they exist XD.

EDIT: A High Pass Filter (couldn't think of the name for some reason XD). That would act similarly as a wah parked in the toe down position.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
Last edited by Slash_is_a_God at May 10, 2011,
ya, im not huge into modding things just cuz A. i cant do it myself and B. im taking a leap of faith to have someone change it ... i'd rather like it wen i buy and it keep it that way. but ya, crybaby was originally vox until jim dunlop bought the design for the first wah pedal and patented it. but i havent really had any good luck with the vox wah's and neither has anyone i know. they seem to be more of a vintage sound more used with funk and cleans than what im looking for
Ive got a Ibanez WD7 which works perfectly for my style. Its great for metal and especially tapping leads. It does get a bit airy sounding with the settings maxed, but it also does give the classic hendrix like sound with some tweaking in the settings.