I've had mixed guidance on this issue.
The question is: Can the same 9V powering unit power a variety of different pedals?

So far I have a Korg Pitchblack tuner and a Boss DD-3 pedal. This guy at ONE music store said I'll need a different 9V power supply (or whatever) for the Boss Pedal and the Korg. Again, at another music store the guy said that I didn't. Also one of my friends just has about a 8-split power supply for all of his pedals.

Can I get some enlightenment on this? I don't want to keep buying batteries, but I want to know if I'll need one power supply or two.
TABBERS WANTED
If you are interested, and are up to it, please PM me for more info on the song.
Yes, it's just one song in particular, theres no shredding or fast solos.
It is a mellow, instrumental, clean, song.
a daisy chain links together power supplies. unfortunately, without a designated power pedal with two power hookups or a pedal like the boss tuner (which has two power hookups for this very reason) you're shit out of luck and need numerous power supplies.
So I wont be able to daisy chain the Boss delay pedal and the Korg tuner? If I get the two power supplies, Will I be able to daisy chain the Boss pedal with other pedals and the same with the Korg?
TABBERS WANTED
If you are interested, and are up to it, please PM me for more info on the song.
C'mon, people.

2 quick searches revealed that the Pitch Black requires at least 600ma from the adapter and it has a 9v 200ma power out on the back. Also the DD-3 only draws a max of 9v at 65ma. Therefore one 600ma+ adapter and a male-to-male power cable are all you need.
I'm just new to the whole pedal thing and thought I'd ask some people who knew what they were talking about. Apparently you do! I just don't know all the terms and such.
So I wouldn't daisy chain them, but have the tuner directly to the power source, and then a separate cable from the tuner to the delay, correct?
TABBERS WANTED
Quote by JRib1216
I'm just new to the whole pedal thing and thought I'd ask some people who knew what they were talking about. Apparently you do! I just don't know all the terms and such.
So I wouldn't daisy chain them, but have the tuner directly to the power source, and then a separate cable from the tuner to the delay, correct?

Right.

I don't mind helping you, but that other guy's probably under the influence of something right now.

It's easy to Google the manuals for these things (or read the ones that came with the hardware if you bought new), and then you can just ask questions for clarification or verification--that'll help you get better answers.

You did do the right thing coming here to ask instead of relying on the bad (overgeneralized) advice you were getting in the store.

Happy new pedal day (HNPD).
So, for clarification purposes:
I buy a 600ma+ 9V Power Adapter.
I hook that into the IN of the Korg tuner.
I run a male-to-male cable from the OUT of the Korg, to the IN of the Boss pedal.

Now, in doing this, will it be able to daisy chain from the out of the Korg to other pedals as I get them?

Something about this that confused me was that Boss says to use a Boss PSA ONLY. Is this just the company getting only its product out there?
TABBERS WANTED
look. you should be completely fine.

the main thing to worry about here is the power type. AC or DC. 99% of pedals are DC. AC ones like a dgitech whammy require a more advanced or its own seperate power supply.

second thing to worry about is power handling. how much you need. 1 spots handle 1800 mA i think, which is a motherload. almost more than any 9 pedals can do unless they are huge multi effects.

THEN

you need to worry about noise, saftey, and clean power. expensive supplys have AC and DC capabilities as well as isolated outlets so nothing interferes. when you have a cheap daisy chain, you get more noise. its not that big a deal, but the more you stress it the worse it gets. different pedals had different issues as well.

so really, not a biggie. if you got the cash and want no limitations, but a 100+ dollar power supply. if not, a 1 spot is fantastic.

as far as your korg and boss, your golden.
So something like this and I'll be fine for the pedals I have now as well as any others I might get as long as they don't take too much?
TABBERS WANTED
yeah i have that. i know a ton of gigging musicians that use that.

it will be fine. another note is that anything that adds gain will add noise. boosts, distortions, etc. other pedals (especially bad ones) might add slight noise, but generally gain pedals are the WORST. that includes EQ pedals when you boost a frequncy signal or overall volume.

im my experience, pedals will add way more noise than a 1 spot. gribes against that are people being picky OR they have crazy pedals setups that are causing buzz for some technical reason. remember, every setup is different. with those 2 pedals, i garantee 100% your golden.

i know guitarists who run multiple kinds of pedals of 1 spots with no issues. currently im running a cry baby, 2 boss pedals, a GFS tuner, and a EHX pedal of a 1 spot with no issues or noise. i recommend plugging the 1 spot into a QUALITY surge protector/power conditoner. that goes for all electrical equipment of value (computers, sound systems, etc).

but....you just might want to do research on a pedal before you buy it to make sure its compatible. ijust bought an EHX pedal and i was nervous teh 1 spot wouldnt work. petty sure im good.
Awesome! Thanks a ton! I'll definitely look into getting that. With any future setup I don't think I'll get too fancy. Maybe a better delay pedal and a nice reverb or chorus.
TABBERS WANTED
You can hook up a large number of pedals to the same power supply, so long as that supply can handle the total load. My Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board has it's own power supply and a supply line with 7 outs on it. I also have a "1 Spot" power supply that has an "8 out" lead. The 1 Spot costs $36.00 at Guitar Centers here.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Visual-Sound-1-Spot-Combo-Pack-104489125-i1275625.gc

Just make sure the current draw from all the pedals being used at one time does not exceed the max. output of the power supply. The 1 Spot in that kit is like 1.7-1.8A (1,700ma-1,800ma). As for using on different manufacturers items, I use mine on Boss, Korg, Dunlop, etc. Just so long as they are all 9v. and don't exceed the power output, they will work.

Edited to add, make sure you get the kit that is in that link, 1 Spot makes various models and various packages, to get the cord with 8 outs, etc., you need to get the kit.
Last edited by IbanezBossShred at May 10, 2011,
If it's any help, I currently use the One-Spot you mentioned to power a Boss TU-2 Tuner, a DD-6 delay, a Barber Tone Press and a Crybaby Wah. No problems there. On your pedals where you stick the power in it'll say something like 9v, xxx ma, and if it's within the range on the one-spot, it'll power it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
another thing, it seems almost impossible a pitchblack uses 600 mA. that i insane considering the average pedal uses 25-60 mA. i mean, i think most standard stompboxes are under 100 unless tehy are bigger with more features.

i think huge powerful effects like multi-boxes or digitech whammys might draw a ton like 600, but i really have a hard time believing that little tuner draws 600.

regardless, even if it does draw 600, you have roughly 1100 left with about 7 spots. its with normal pedals you will run out of jacks before you will run out of power.

basically, maxing out a 1700 mA system is very hard with 8 average pedals. if you are using fancy high powered pedals, you A have the money for a fancy power supply, and B probably need one to protect/insure proper operation.
Yeah I have some trouble believing the 600 mA thing too..oh well though. Thanks a TON everyone. Looks like the One Spot is the best buy for me! I'll look at my local music store for it soon and if they don't have it, I'll go to musician's friend!

I really appreciate all of the help! I know exactly where to come with further questions!
TABBERS WANTED
Quote by Slap-happy
The Pitchblack runs off 30mA : Manual

Yeah, that's what it draws, but in at least two other places in that same manual it says stuff like:

"If you use an optional AC adapter for power, be sure that it is 9 volt ( ) and
at least 600 mA"
Last edited by jetwash69 at May 11, 2011,
I'm just guessing here, but I'd bet that requirement is based on it putting out 200ma. on that out plug. That combined with them "covering their a$$*$" and requiring a little excess, so things wont get toasted from too much demand on the power supply. At any rate, with an output from the 1 Spot of 1,700ma., I'm sure it will meet all his needs just fine. Just be careful to check each pedal uses 9v. and the current draw from all pedals used is below 1,700ma. Look carefully at any new pedal you add, make sure it isn't 18v. or whatever.
There is one thing to watch if just daisy chaining the power. If one of you pedals has an internal positive ground (like most fuzz faces) then it will short the other pedals supplies to ground and if you're lucky, just blow a fuse.
If you have a positive ground pedal it has to be run off a separate isolated supply that is supplying power to nothing but positive ground pedals.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
good point. however i dont think many new pedals these days have that or everybody would have 6 broken pedlas these days.

but yeah the hendrix style fuzz faces are old school. i worry about electro harmonix stuff. just bought a memory toy and its not on the 1 spot compatibility chart, but many users online have said they run the memory toy on 1 spots easy. whatever, if it doesnt work im returning it and getting a correct one.

besides, if so many pedals could not use 1 spots, then almost everybody would use an expensive voodoo or brick system, and thats not the case. i know sooooooo many people that use 1 spots, most of which gig all the time.