Can anybody recommend me the best line six pedal for metal?
I am looking for a nice heavy distorted sound. I really would like something reliable; something that is going to last me for an extended period. From what I have heard and experienced I want to go with line six (I personally love them), but if anyone has a better effects pedal in mind please do let me know. The budgets around...$250...
Why does it have to be Line 6?
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Get a Blackstar HT something. I've got the HT Dual but you could go the Dist/Dist X or whatever or even the new Firewind Gus G signature one. It's built like a tank, has a tube in it and sounds fantastic.

No idea about price though, I got mine used from a friend. :P:
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Blackstar makes some pretty good tube distortions (as in there is an actual tube in the pedal) that would work for your needs and within the budget.

For a little less gain, I'd probably go with a Fulltone OCD or something similar. From what I've seen them for, both of them will be well within the budget.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
I find line 6 to sound unresponsive and sterile as a result of how digital the sound they're going for is. I'd reccomend going for the Boss wah pedal that has about a ten types of distortion on it too.
With that much money to blow on a pedal you should go for the Digitech Hardwire Valve Distortion. They do a Metal Distortion too but that one's way too harsh and extreme, even the lowest settings on that is pretty much thrash metal and the middle settings are like black metal. The highest settings are unusuable, it's just like a wall of static. The Valve Distortion is a lot better, it starts off as classic rock and at the highest point it gets into good proper metal tones. It responds really well, it's a little more tweakable than most pedals are and most importantly of all it's built like an absolute tank. They're wired by hand, properly analog pedals with true bypass and you would have to take a sledge hammer to them to break one.
Quote by GODhimself37
Why does it have to be Line 6?

Just my personal preference.

As for everyone else. People are saying the blackstar, Ill give that a look. Any other pedal suggestions are still welcome though. I will check each suggestion out at some point.
You could try out a DM-4, but I'm always wary of plastic casings just because I'm not known to be gentle with delicate things like plastic pedals or young girls' hearts.
Quote by Helicopters!
You could try out a DM-4, but I'm always wary of plastic casings just because I'm not known to be gentle with delicate things like plastic pedals or young girls' hearts.

It's aluminum.
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
I did not know Line 6 even made pedals. I thought they just did crappy amps.
Squier Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic
Jay Turser JT-220
Fender Frontman 65r

What can I say? I like cheap gear.
Quote by JonnyMonster91

Clearly you do not know half of what Line 6 even makes. Learn more about them before you start going around and posting your uneducated opinions.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Clearly you do not know half of what Line 6 even makes. Learn more about them before you start going around and posting your uneducated opinions.

Clearly.
Squier Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic
Jay Turser JT-220
Fender Frontman 65r

What can I say? I like cheap gear.
Quote by JonnyMonster91
Their reverb and delay pedals are really, really good. Their other modulation pedals like chrous and flange are technically great too but they don't have that classic vibe that a EHX Small Clone does and other pedals like that. The Line 6 distortions and overdrives aren't that great but they're not that awful either, just pretty standard.

Most of their amps ARE shitty but they've done some good ones. The new version of the Spider Valve is really good. The Vetta II is an absolute beast and is easily worth the grand.

Their wireless units are some of the best on the market too and they make some nice cabs.
The only real POS line 6 have made is the infamous spider, tho i hear the latest one isnt too bad. The flextone is good (i have one as a practice amp), and all their interface stuff (UX2/PODfarm etc) is really good imo.

unfortunatly people only focus on the bad

as far as pedals go, +1 for the blackstar. What amp are you using?
Such is posting in Soviet Russia
I am kinda tempted to say the new Line6 M5 Stompbox.
If you aren't in love with the distortion models you'll still have a ton of other effects at your disposal. From what I gather, they are basically what you'll find in the M9,M13, Pod HD-models.

I haven't tried the M5 myself, but I do own a Pod HD500 and I am happy with what it delivers.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass