Hi guys, i have some questions about electric guitar, these all my questions :

1. What is the function of radius on the guitar fingerboard??
2. how much the wood material effect on the character of the sound produced??
3. how much the body's geometry (for example the cutaway) effect on the character of the sound produced??
4. How to calculate the fret position on the fingerboard??

I think that's all my basic question about guitar, and thank's for reading my questions..
1.radius is how flat the fingerboard will be
smaller radius and you get a more rounded fretboard
bigger radius and the fret board will be flatter

2.the wood affexts the sound alot especially if its acoustic denser woods are ussually brither and les dense woods are usually darker sounding

3.this im not too sure just know less wood less sustain more wood more sustain

4.theres a bunch of calculators on the internet you need to know the scale lenght though
http://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator
1. the radius of the fingerboard determines how much it curves http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingerboard#Radius

2. the wood affects the sound pretty dramatically. typically if its a dense wood the sound will be brighter. if its less dense it will be warmer. really hard to explain, you jsut have to play a lot of guitars and compare.

3. it wont do much. some say that if you have more wood the sustain will be better and the sound will be fuller. again just go to guitar center and compare a thicker guitar(such as a les paul) to a thinner guitar(strat) and youll notice a massive difference in sound(due in part to there being less wood, different types of wood, etc)

4. fret position is determined by the scale length(the distance between the nut and the bridge, the length of the ringing section of the strings)

edit: damn you supersac! you and your fast typing abilities!
Last edited by rickyj at May 11, 2011,
Quote by rickyj

edit: damn you supersac! you and your fast typing abilities!

i have the fastest fingers this side of my couch

i just wish it helped me play guitar better
Quote by supersac

regardless of your guitar skills, im sure your quite popular with the ladies!
Quote by supersac

Tempted to sig... but no.

Ontopic: Supersac is correct.

There's a whole mathemathical approach to finding where every fret should be that involves dividing up the strings.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.