Page 1 of 2
I love discovering new and interesting guitar designs, and i've begun getting bored of the big classic brands like: Fender, Gibson, Ibanez etc.

I've found lots and lots of brands by searching, like Kramer, Schecter, Guerilla, PRS, Manson, but i'd really love to see how many other great brands that are out there, since i'm looking for a new guitar myself, but generally i'd love if everyone named their favorite under-acknowledged Guitar brand(s)!
Jackson.

You can get a MIJ soloist for around 500 used, thin ass neck-through design. Neck is seriously thin.

I love any neck through model they have build that I have played so far. MIA or MIJ.
PRS isn't really unknown tbh.

G&L isn't that widespread. Charvel as well.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
For people on a budget, I would like to add Hagström (value for money, versatility), Michael Kelly(same as Hagström), London City(incredible value for money) and maybe Eastwood(vintage reissues that actually work out really well).

They all are very different, but I think you can hardly go wrong with any of these brands for the prices they list.
Quote by pbiggie
Reverend

I went to check 'em out and I saw that due from Fu Manchu on there. I remembered you were into Stoner.

I c nao
Quote by AxSilentxLine

Also Framus, Music Man and Peavey

This. I'd take one of these over an equally priced PRS any day.

Also, this brand is probably only underrated on these boards (what with all teh br00tz people around here), but: Gretsch.
Both First Act and Parker.

Used by heaps of huge bands but not really used by many guitarists.
mojostompboxes.com
The amp brand bugera is quite amazing, I got the 333xl valve for 500 with a footswitch, its amazing for the price, good cleans, and specifically amazing distortion
Quote by Shayden2008
The amp brand bugera is quite amazing, I got the 333xl valve for 500 with a footswitch, its amazing for the price, good cleans, and specifically amazing distortion

I can never work out where to thread the strings though
Normandy guitars are amazing also people dont give the old aria's enough credit, I basically got a Jap Jackson soloist for £200 ( although paid £80 due to sale and trade in )
i want to say agile, but i think they have earned all the recognition they deserve around here. music man guitars are some peices of work. only other thing coming to mind is Bernie Rico Jr.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I've played some really nice Corts.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Nobody mentioned Fernandes yet?

Disappoint.
Schecter Tempest Custom
Squier Jagmaster
Epiphone Les Paul Jr. (Modified)
Crafter D-8

DOD FX50-B > EHX Little Big Muff > Digitech Whammy 4 >
Dunlop Cry Baby > Zoom G3 > Boss DD-7 > Digitech Digiverb

Orange OR-15
Marshall Valvestate VS100
Godin make some great instruments.
Maton - an Australian brand are also worth checking out - the Mastersound electrics, BB1200 and some of the mid-range (and up) acoustics have a great tone and are a little different from the norm as they are built from local tonewoods. Joshua Homme has a signature model that is definitely worth checking out.
Teisco guitars (an old Japanese brand) are pretty good too. There are a couple of stores here and there that have them in and they are reasonably priced. Just don't expect a metal-monster.
Trussart's guitars are beautiful (in my opinion - see sig for further details). Seen in the hands of James Hetfield through to Bob Dylan.
Zemantis make some nice eye-candy. Unfortunately I missed the opportunity to play one whenI finally saw it in a store as it was some "mega-sale" day and evey guitar playing teen in a 300 mile radius was clamouring to get a the Ibanezzzezzz......
Danelectro's reissues are hreat to play. Our bassist plays guitar in another band and has a weakness for them. He has at least seven last time I counted. And a couple of basses too.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
If you can find (and afford) one, try LAG Guitars. Their guitars are first-rate, and their Arkane A3000 is amazing:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
+1 to Maton.
Being Australian I think of them as a well known, highly regarded instrument but on the world stage I suppose they are relatively unknown. Some Maton acoustics are simply divine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Godin is pretty nice. I don't think it's really underrated and most of their good guitars cost a lot, but they make nice stuff and they aren't known very well.
Quote by E_squared
Nobody mentioned Fernandes yet?

Disappoint.

i was beginning to think i was the only person on UG who'd ever played one.

they are great guitars for the money - not my sort of thing, but they sure are underrated.

+1 to godin, too. my friend has a godin, i can't remember what model it is, but it is an awesome guitar. he got it for a stupidly low price too.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
japanese copies are where it's at for value (outside the USA, anyway)- things like tokai etc.

MusicMan is very nice indeed. Framus is nice too (as mentioned), but at the old prices, not the new.

Tyler, Vigier, stuff like that is pretty sweet too. Nik Huber.

I mean I dunno it just depends on where you go and who you talk to... what's obscure to one person is run of the mill to the next (aside from the obvious stuff like fender and gibson).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Ironic Maiden
I went to check 'em out and I saw that due from Fu Manchu on there. I remembered you were into Stoner.

I c nao

I had one before I even knew he had one. There is a video floating around of Wino playing the Fu Manchu guy's reverend, and he thought it was a great guitar.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Gordon Smith make great guitars. http://www.gordonsmithguitars.co.uk/
They are built to order and can be customised to your own spec, for a fantastic price.

My first proper electric was a Les Paul Jnr copy by Gordon Smith. It had a split coil humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck. Very versatile, sounding beautiful and had one of the best necks I ever played.

Also Tokai are very highly rated, but I've not had any personal experience.
+1 to Godin. Canada ftw!
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
G&L
MusicMan
Hagstrom

A couple ASATs:

Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
I miss my Michael Kelly. They do the best LP style guitars in that budget by a mile IMO. Probably going to get another at some stage.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Carvin makes some good guitars with all the options you can add it's great fun to make a guitar with them.

Also check out Becker Guitars they are pretty pricey but sound nice as hell.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Quote by pbiggie
I had one before I even knew he had one. There is a video floating around of Wino playing the Fu Manchu guy's reverend, and he thought it was a great guitar.

Ha, that's cool. They look like sweet guitars to be honest.
Quote by Dave_Mc
japanese copies are where it's at for value (outside the USA, anyway)- things like tokai etc.

MusicMan is very nice indeed. Framus is nice too (as mentioned), but at the old prices, not the new.

Tyler, Vigier, stuff like that is pretty sweet too. Nik Huber.

I mean I dunno it just depends on where you go and who you talk to... what's obscure to one person is run of the mill to the next (aside from the obvious stuff like fender and gibson).

+1 for Vigier but dont forget about Bernie Rico Jr.

Also Haywire has some nice custom builds
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Rondo Music has a lot of awesome guitars for low prices. Have bought 3 of their guitars(a Strat, Tele, and Les Paul) and each has performed fantastically.
Quote by FatalGear41
If you can find (and afford) one, try LAG Guitars. Their guitars are first-rate, and their Arkane A3000 is amazing:

Played a couple of these a few weeks ago in a used store in Dallas, they're okay, but I didn't really like the feel of them tbh. And LAG is a branch off of Marshall btw. I played on an Oasis electirc in the same store that they wanted $600 for. it was old and the bridge was worn, but the neck was the most comfortable neck in that entire store. never heard of the brand before, but I was impressed. Most of the guitars I was going to name have already been named, Cort, Fernandez, Charvel, Agile, and Alvarez are pretty nice.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Page 1 of 2