So I'm looking to get a new guitar amp. Just as a preface: right now, I'm in a band where I play bass. While this would still be my amp, I'd let my friend borrow it while we practice/perform, since he's basically playing through a clean Line 6 Spider IV 15W with an Ibanez FZ7 in front, which obviously doesn't sound great, but it doesn't sound as bad as I had anticipated. As such, in this respect, I'm primarily looking for an amp with good cleans, since he and I do like his fuzz.

Now, I myself like to play some hard rock, post rock, a little prog, and a little bit of metal as well as some softer stuff. Influences include Coheed & Cambria, Porcupine Tree, Explosions in the Sky, If These Trees Could Talk, Rush, Radiohead, Mastodon, Sonic Youth, among others. I'm primarily looking for an amp with good cleans that, if it doesn't have good distortion, could at least be boostable to get some hard rock stuff.

I want to keep the amp from $300 to $400 dollars. I might be able to get in the $500 range, but only if it's really worth it. I'm primarily looking to go used.

Here are some amps available on my craigslist (one's I'm most interested in bolded):

Kustom Defender 50W - $265
Peavey Deuce VT - $300
Carvin XT112 50W - $300
Carvin Nomad - $300
Kustom Coupe 36 112 - $325
Peavey Classic VT - $349
Crate BV120H (Blue Voodoo) Half-Stack - $375
Peavey Heritage (130W?!?) - $375
Bugera 333XL - $390 -JUST KIDDING! THIS IS JUST A HEAD!
Fender DeVille - $420
Carvin x100b Hot-Rodded (just head) - $325
Peavey Ultra Stack (w/ Carvin Cab) - $450
'70s Musicman 112RP - $499
Carvin MTS3200 Stack - $500

If you want me to post specific ads, I can. It's the Orange County (CA) craigslist. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by TheLetheProject at May 11, 2011,
I would definetly go with the Bugera 333xl, its what I have and its amazing. Its specifically a distortion based amp, but suprisingly good cleans though. The only issues people have is only the reliability, but i got mine 2nd hand and I have had no issues with it.

Very good amp, especially for the price.
Quote by Shayden2008
I would definetly go with the Bugera 333xl, its what I have and its amazing. Its specifically a distortion based amp, but suprisingly good cleans though. The only issues people have is only the reliability, but i got mine 2nd hand and I have had no issues with it.

Very good amp, especially for the price.

I was under the impression that it was mainly for gain, too, but I heard some clean stuff online and it seemed impressive almost.

Hmm...I'll check back on this thread tomorrow. Thanks in advance for everyone else!
The 333XL is the most versatile bugera. it could definatley do all the genres you want
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
It has really good cleans man, I highly reccomend you to at least try it out, very versatile, i have been very impressed with it
Id go for the peavey ultra
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
out of what i've tried on that list, the kustom coupe is very nice.

I haven't tried them but I'm guessing the carvins and peaveys would be worth a look too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ultra is worth a look might be a bit heavy for what you want
The crunch channel is quite nice on it though. IMO (but not for light breakup haha)
Woops! Sorry folks! I just saw that the Bugera 33XL is just a head (there were no pics in the ad), and since I won't have much money past $390, I probably won't be able to get a cab! I'll take it off the original post so no one gets confused. Which other amp(s) from the list look good?
I'd go ultra over that anyway the bugera is merely a clone of the peavey jsx which routes lie in the ultra

Plus used bugera...
no warranty no thanks. Might even have that plastic clip that sets it up in smoke for all you know
Last edited by coolstoryangus at May 11, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus
I'd go ultra over that anyway the bugera is merely a clone of the peavey jsx which routes lie in the ultra

Plus used bugera...
no warranty no thanks. Might even have that plastic clip that sets it up in smoke for all you know

The Ultra seems nice. It definitely sounds like it has some nice gain, but are the cleans good? As I said, that's mainly what I'm looking for.
Quote by coolstoryangus

Plus used bugera...

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The cleans are pretty nice on the ultra for a high gainer IMO.

The majority of recordings arent with the ultra there are a few preamp out into cab sim recordings but obviously that doesnt give the full feel.

The amp is nice though.
I only paid like £200 for the head which is crazy cheap for a good head in the uk cant even get a valve king for that here and this is like so much better!
Last edited by coolstoryangus at May 11, 2011,