Hey guys

I was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to play a nice thick non-harmonic dive bomb without using the tremolo arm?

Here's an example of what I mean at the :24 second mark of this video, watch the guiarist on the right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSmEVzDc0fM

Ive seen this done quite a bit, but surely its not just hitting the note with the string pre-bent up a whole step and just letting it down or something... coz when I try it it sounds shit haha

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Well that sounds like more than one step for sure
You can bend it like crazy on a kinda floppy string and let it down.
Ooor...you can use a whammy pedal and take it down...ooor you can tune your guitar down as you hit the note, although this is not very practical! :P
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Ah ok, so you definately think its pre-bent? Maybe I need to tune lower haha, Ive never actually tuned as low as these guys so maybe that'll make it sound right

Thanks heaps for the quick reply
I think it is pre-bent yeah, and it's a pretty low tuning as well, so chances of strings being floppier are good!
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by grozz8
Ah ok, so you definately think its pre-bent? Maybe I need to tune lower haha, Ive never actually tuned as low as these guys so maybe that'll make it sound right

Thanks heaps for the quick reply

It may also be combined with really low action, these two things combined allow for giant bends.

since he's facing away, he may have a slide being used on one of the low strings, or possibly a thick ring on his finger which can allow him to get a similar divebomb feel with out a tremolo bar....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
It may also be combined with really low action, these two things combined allow for giant bends.

actions got nothing to do with it.

thin strings, low tuning, and short scale length are basically the only things that effect the tension of the string

and hes definitely not using a slide.