I would really like to get into some jazz, mainly player, but I dont actually listen to any. I was wondering if you guys could recommend me some I might like.

At the moment I like to listen to metal like Iron Maiden, Thrash like Megadeth (They had Chrs Poland if thats any thing to go by), hair metal, old school rock (zepplin, thin lizzy etc) and blues (I really like Gary Moore and Jimi Hendrix).

I once watched a video of Wes Montgomery but didnt really like it, but that could have just been that performance.
Jazz is such an immense broad genre, I personally am not a fan of jazz music + someone singing over it, nor am I stoked on trumpet charlie parker stuff.

The best jazz guitarists (what I like to listen to) imo is Ted Greene, Pat Martino, Larry Carlton, George Benson, Django Rheinhart.
On the harp you could check out Toots Tielemans.

Some Jazz standards you could check out that get played by tons of people:
Autumn Leaves
Summertime
Bluesette
Cantaloupe Island
Girl from Ipanema
You should check out Weather Report. They're more jazz fusion.

I would also highly recommend listening to Bossanova. Artists from that genre that I mostly know of: Joao Gilberto, Stan Getz, Bola Sete, Vince Guaraldi, Luis Bonfa. I'll admit though, some Bossanova songs are like elevator music, but I really do love me my elevator music.

Then of course there's your basics: John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Bill Evans.
Jazz is a whole new world in music my friend. It can be a joy to play but a bitch to learn.
There are so many types of jazz but I'll give you a bit of everything. (Also you might enjoy fusion which is Jazz but on steroids)

West End Blues (Louis Armstrong)
Round Midnight (Thelonious Monk)
In The Mood (Glenn Miller)
Goodbye Pork Pie Hat (Charles Mingus)
Giant Steps (John Coltrane)
So What (Miles Davis)
Take Five (Dave Brubeck/Paul Desmond)
West Coast Blues (Wes Montgomery)
Rhapsody In Blue (George Gershwi
Autumn Leaves (Cannonball Adderley)
April In Paris (Count Basie)
All Blues (Miles Davis)
Idle Moments (Grant Green)
Watermelon Man (Herbie Hancock)
Blue Train (John Coltrane)
Four On Six (Wes Montgomery)
Sing Sing Sing (With a Swing) Benny Goodman
Spain (Chick Corea)
The Girl From Ipanema (Stan Getz)
Bird Gets The Worm (Charlie Parker)
Linus and Lucy (Vince Guaraldi)

Some fusion songs

Race With The Devil - Al Di Meola
Elegant Gypsy Suite - Al Di Meola
Room 335 - Larry Carlton
The Chicken - Jaco Pastorious
Fives - Guthrie Govan
Open Country Joy - Mahavishnu Orchestra
Footprints - Wayne Shorter
In A Silent Way - Miles Davis
Watermelon Man - Herbie Hancock

I could go on 4ever about fusion...but this will give you an idea.

Hope you listen man and enjoy the beauty of jazz.
Im currently doing a guitar course, I am on term 1. In term 2 we start to incorporate some Jazz and fusion in with Blues, then in term 3 do full Jazz performance. Im really looking forward to it.

I am currently listening to Jeff Beck and loving it. But I dont have a clue if that counts as Jazz fusion.
Jeff Beck is more rock than fusion. Is kind of jazzy because he puts a lot of jazz chords and progressions over his songs. Did you check those fusion songs I posted?
Goodbye Pork Pie Hat - this - crazy name - except I listened to it by Beck

This Al Di Meolda stuffs cool.

In England Aldi is a budget super market that every one hates, his name reminds me of that!
Last edited by jkielq91 at May 12, 2011,
There are tons of different flavors and varieties of jazz. You may not be able to listen to one kind, but find yourself not being able to turn off another.

That said, I'm only going to post one song.

Joe Pass playing "Satin Doll" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyjQv52Nzno
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Sounds like (and I know primusfan would groan and argue the merits) you'd be better off checking out some fusion first, as has already been said. It would make a better segue from the metal that you're into.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra - Vital Transformation

The Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds Of Fire

The Dixie Dregs - Odyssey

If, however, you're looking for something more traditional...

Charles Mingus - Boogie Stop Shuffle

John Coltrane - Afro Blue

With guitar...

Wes Montgomery - Blue 'N' Boogie

Grant Green - Green Jeans

Disclaimer: My familiarity with Jazz is limited. Also, I know you said that you didn't care for Wes Montgomery, but "Blue 'N' Boogie" kicks ass.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
^

EDIT: Just placed an order on Amazon for Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers' Moanin', Cannonball Adderley's Something Else, Coltrane's My Favorite Things, and a hip Coltrane poster. Wouldn't have mentioned it, but for your sig and a video for "Moanin'" that you posted some time ago...
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Last edited by Jazz Funeral at May 18, 2011,
I just realised I failed to mention I listen to a lot of instrumental rock stuff, my favourite being Jason Becker, I also like Marty Friedman, Jeff Loomis and Kiko Loureiro. I actually listen to that stuff as much as the metal stuff.

And I am being recommended some good stuff here guys. Cheers.
Check out jazzy blues stuff (or bluesy jazz stuff) like Kenny Burrel - Midnight Blue.
Listen to Robben Ford, a great blues/jazz guitarist and Matt Schofield. Really love Al Di Meola myself, he is perhaps why I started to get into jazz (I was into Paul Gilbert and both use blisteringly fast alternate picked scales), although you might have ruined him for me by mentioning ALDI.
If your into metal and shiz why not take a look at blues before listening to jazz (some jazz is a bit of an acquired taste imo), its more accessible and influenced jazz music. Not to mention blues is awesome and learning to play some will really improve your overall guitar playing in my opinion.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
Check out jazzy blues stuff (or bluesy jazz stuff) like Kenny Burrel - Midnight Blue.
Listen to Robben Ford, a great blues/jazz guitarist and Matt Schofield. Really love Al Di Meola myself, he is perhaps why I started to get into jazz (I was into Paul Gilbert and both use blisteringly fast alternate picked scales), although you might have ruined him for me by mentioning ALDI.
If your into metal and shiz why not take a look at blues before listening to jazz (some jazz is a bit of an acquired taste imo), its more accessible and influenced jazz music. Not to mention blues is awesome and learning to play some will really improve your overall guitar playing in my opinion.

Im pretty familiar with blues and play it a lot. BB King, Albert King, Buddy Guy, as well as some rock blues stuff. I play it more than I listen to it, but I do really like it.
Hmm, I'll name you off some musicians by their instrument.

Guitarists: Joe Pass, Django Reinhardt, Pat Metheny

Pianists: Oscar Peterson, Bill Evans, Art Tatum, Thelonious Monk

Saxophonists: John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Ben Webster, Cannonball Adderley

Trumpeters: Miles Davis, Chet Baker
Rik Emmett's Swing Shift is all you will ever need since every single kind of Jazz is covered on that album. To Swing, to Bebop, to Acoustic, to Smooth, to Free-Form, to Cool, to Acid Jazz, etc...
Everybody Dies
Ignorance is NOT just what you DO NOT know but what you WILL NOT know

MY Soundcloud
Tears for toda la alegría que teníamos
Tears for todo el dolor
Las lágrimas de invierno que llevan dentro
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Estas lágrimas de invierno , voy a llorar por ti
Estas lágrimas de invierno , son solamente para usted
Eric Dolphy - Out There
Tatsuya Yoshida / Satoko Fujii - Erans
Bobby Hutcherson - Components
Avishai Cohen - Continuo

Not sure the different styles they are, as I'm a casual listener, if someone wants to peg those down to their respective jazz sub-genres, that'd be cool, thanks.
Quote by jkielq91
Im currently doing a guitar course, I am on term 1. In term 2 we start to incorporate some Jazz and fusion in with Blues, then in term 3 do full Jazz performance. Im really looking forward to it.

I am currently listening to Jeff Beck and loving it. But I dont have a clue if that counts as Jazz fusion.

Wired is a pretty fusiony album imo

Definitely start with Kenny G though, greatest jazz musician.
Last edited by nargoth at Jul 2, 2011,