So I was looking at that huge anchoring thread about anchoring in the archive when I realised they were talking about anchoring their wrists. I assume they were talking about anchoring their fingers because that's my habit.

Is anchoring your fingers below the strings as bad as anchoring your wrist? I've tried to stop anchoring it feels so un-natural though and I always naturally start anchoring my fingers again.

Thanks.
A lot of people say if you anchor you will get leprosy and your hand will fall off, however I prefer to see how it affects you.

1) How fast are you playing?
2) How much does your picking arm/hand tense up due to anchoring?
3) Is there things that you can't play which anchoring could be attributing to?

People are correct when they say it cause extra tension, and this can limit your speed and increases the chance of an injury. However I believe if it is only very slight, the chance of injury will still not be that high.

Also, I would only look to change something only if you cannot progress due to you anchoring, as it would throw your progress back a fair bit by havng to adjust.
Quote by Steve635z
A lot of people say if you anchor you will get leprosy and your hand will fall off, however I prefer to see how it affects you.

1) How fast are you playing?
2) How much does your picking arm/hand tense up due to anchoring?
3) Is there things that you can't play which anchoring could be attributing to?

People are correct when they say it cause extra tension, and this can limit your speed and increases the chance of an injury. However I believe if it is only very slight, the chance of injury will still not be that high.

Also, I would only look to change something only if you cannot progress due to you anchoring, as it would throw your progress back a fair bit by havng to adjust.

1) Not very fast at all. But I havn't been playing for a year now so thats probably more of a factor for that.

2) Not alot of tension at all they just kind sit there with just enough pressure so that they dont move

3) not that I can think of.
Well in the long run, it would slightly hider your playing, and since your have only been playing a year I would try to sort it out now as the longer you play it will only get harder.

Every technique change feels unnatural to start. I had to completely change my picking/fretting technique, and this set me back a long time. However the earlier you catch it, the easier it will be to fix.
Yeah, change now. I finally am after almost three years because my technique was absolutely horrible, and I feel like I've lost a year or two of skill until I get used to it
la de da.
Anchoring is very usefull for string skipping. The muscle memory in your pinky will remember the distance to strings. Look at Dave mustaine Video on youtube. Kirk Hammett does anchor his fingers and he plays pretty fast.

I never used to anchor, but now I do. I find it adds extra stability to my picking hand.
As long as you use small (Minute) economic picking motions with your right hand, then anchoring should not affect your performance in speed.
With regards to it feeling unnatural - I used to hold my pick the "wrong way", and doing it the "right way" felt unnatural.

However, I'm glad I stuck at it, because my playing has improved because of it, and it no longer feels unnatural. In fact, the way I did it before now feels unnatural.

So yeah, even if things feel unnatural, sometimes it's worth getting used to.
For chording work, you're not going to be able to anchor a finger and get good results - no one can play 16ths at a decent tempo across all 6 strings with a pinky on the guitar. For single note stuff, it just doesn't matter. There are monster players who anchor. There are monster players who don't. Your call. Personally I don't because it makes the switch between chording and single notes easier and facilitates hybrid picking.

At the end of the day there are a million things more important when learning to play the guitar than whether you anchor or not.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Wow I've been playing without anchoring and it's sooo much easier playing thrash riffs! . still need to work on accuracy with leads though but thanks guys this helped me alot.