Ive been playing now, about 3 weeks and my finger tips have gone mushy. I tried lower gauge strings (9s) and that only made the problem worse and felt like it was going to slice the skin off my fingers. So I went back to 13s but now my fingers are too soft so I cant bend em no more.

what can I do to make my fingers hard again? also by friday if its possible.
Last edited by kolonelkadat at May 11, 2011,
Quote by kolonelkadat

what can I do to make my fingers hard again? also by friday if its possible.

Superglue! Semi joking and semi not!

But you can't rush it, just play man.. it takes the time it takes.
Lighter gauge and endure..or lower tuning with the thicker gauge strings.

Anyway, after 3 weeks of playing though..that's no time at all.. I can't imagine you'll be required to play on friday for something important if you've just been playing guitar for 3 weeks though?
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Just keep playing until you get them back.
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
so just superglue and keep playing? The superglue sounds like a good idea, but I dont know about the keep playing... My fingertips have gone from feeling like a rock, to feeling like overcooked pasta. I dont want to ruin them.

Quote by Shor

Anyway, after 3 weeks of playing though..that's no time at all.. I can't imagine you'll be required to play on friday for something important if you've just been playing guitar for 3 weeks though?

Important? I dunno, depends where your priorities lie I suppose. Friday, im going down to see some old high school friends, and they might ask me to play something, so I have to be ready.
Quote by kolonelkadat
so just superglue and keep playing? The superglue sounds like a good idea, but I dont know about the keep playing... My fingertips have gone from feeling like a rock, to feeling like overcooked pasta. I dont want to ruin them.

Important? I dunno, depends where your priorities lie I suppose. Friday, im going down to see some old high school friends, and they might ask me to play something, so I have to be ready.

DON'T DO THE SUPERGLUE! Seriously, it's a terrible ****ing idea. And rock hard callouses are not the be-all-end-all. That's just the intermediate stage.

Also, if you've only been playing for three weeks, having callouses won't help you impress your friends. Your technical proficiency will (likely) be so terrible that it won't matter how tough your fingertips are.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Quote by jwd724
DON'T DO THE SUPERGLUE! Seriously, it's a terrible ****ing idea. And rock hard callouses are not the be-all-end-all. That's just the intermediate stage.

Also, if you've only been playing for three weeks, having callouses won't help you impress your friends. Your technical proficiency will (likely) be so terrible that it won't matter how tough your fingertips are.

+1 on the the rock hard callouses not being the be-all-end-all part.

I personally hate when my callouses are rock hard. When they are that hard they tend to get dry then they tend to crack and even rip off. And my girlfriend hates them as well... seeing as she has the V-jay-jay she makes the rules. So I put lotion on my every day, to keep them soft. They are still as thick as anyone I know, but they are as soft and smooth as a babys arse too
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
it only three weeks man they will get harder. Ive been paying since i was 8 and my finger tips are super tough just give it time 3 weeks is nothing
Quote by jwd724

+1

It's not even a silly idea, it's plain retarded, and also un-necessary.

Most players I know don't have "callouses", that's what happens to your fingers when they're not used to the guitar and the skin dries out. Anyone I know that plays just has tough fingertips, there's no visible difference and certainly no big lumps of scrobby dead skin on their fingers.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
lol I lost those patches of "scrobby dead skin" around 2 weeks ago.

but my tips do firm up a bit after some time off so I guess Ill do as yall say and just keep on rockin, but im going to have to break it up. like 30 minutes on/hour off...
I agree that playing more is the way to toughen up your fingertips. If I were you the only way I'd take a break is my fingers were RAW and it was really painful to play. Some pain at the beginning is normal though.

Some people soak their fingers in salt water to toughen the skin. Though I've heard mixed reviews as to whether or not it works. Its been many years since I've done it but I don't remember it being a major help. Who knows, it might be helpful for you though.