Hey Forum, I've been reading all these "chords and modes made easy" which I personally find can't be done.
The problem I have is that these lessons say that a diminished VII chord is in key, but from checking up on this I'm inclined to think otherwise. For example if I were to take the key of C, the seventh note would be a B. Bdim consists of the notes B, D, F, G#, and only 3 of these notes are in the C major scale. I've heard of the diminished chord being formed without the bbVII is this why the diminished chord is said to be in key or is there another reason?

Thanks in advance
VII degree is diminished triad, if you add the 7th, it becomes a m7b5 chord, also known as half-diminshed
Quote by tappooh
VII degree is diminished triad, if you add the 7th, it becomes a m7b5 chord, also known as half-diminshed

This.

A fully diminished chord has a bb7 (double flat 7th)
Last edited by Calibos at May 11, 2011,
The vii* triad is just BDF. If you add the seventh it becomes a half diminished triad or m7b5, BDFA. A fully diminished seventh chord requires a chromatic addition, the bb7, BDFAb. There is no G# involved.
Quote by Calibos
This.

A fully diminished chord has a bb7 (double flat 7th) so that G# will just be a G.

B D F G

all notes in a full diminished chord are a minor 3rd apart...so for a Bdim7th chord the the 7th would be Ab/G#
Ah, so really I just have my diminished chords mixed up. I think I understand now, thanks.
Quote by silva60
Hey Forum, I've been reading all these "chords and modes made easy" which I personally find can't be done.
The problem I have is that these lessons say that a diminished VII chord is in key, but from checking up on this I'm inclined to think otherwise. For example if I were to take the key of C, the seventh note would be a B. Bdim consists of the notes B, D, F, G#, and only 3 of these notes are in the C major scale. I've heard of the diminished chord being formed without the bbVII is this why the diminished chord is said to be in key or is there another reason?

Thanks in advance

Silva,

It can be very tough to piecemeal your theory together to start with, reading "lessons" by people who probably, first, aren't actually teachers, and secondly may have sketchy facts at best.

A B Diminished (also sometimes referred to as half diminished) is a triad. There is also a B dim7 and that is a diminished triad with a bb7. Sometimes people use both these terms interchangeably. This fast and loose approach to terms, is something you'll find happens a lot. B D F Ab is a B Dim 7 chord. A major 7th would be an A#, and a b7 would be an A, Therefore, Ab is a bb7.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913

A B Diminished (also sometimes referred to as half diminished) is a triad.

Speaking of fast and loose, B half diminished is the same as Bmin7b5, i.e. a seventh chord spelt B D F A, not a triad.
B°: B D F
B°7: B D F Ab
Bø, Bø7 or Bm7b5: B D F A
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by silva60

If you're getting your information from this recent article on UG http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/music_theory/scales_modes_and_chords_made_easy.html , just ignore it. The information given is completely incorrect.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
ok, i dont want to derail this thread, but i dont want to open another one about chords so i will ask here.
i know the how to harmonize the major scale, but where do augmented chords come in? i have heard they are used as dominant chords, is that right?
They can be used as that - you find them in a harmonized harmonic minor version. There are a lot of ways they can be used.

Look at a few examples:

The Road, by Jackson Browne
Baby Hold On - Eddie Money
Kasmir - Led Zep
Stormy Monday - Allman Brothers
To The Morning - Dan Fogelberg (It's going to be a day) Aug comes on the word "day" and is a passing chord from D

Best,

Sean
Quote by jayx124
The dim chord is based on the diminished scale
the half dim ( -7b5) is based on the locrian mode

i don't know where you learned that, but they're both based on diatonic harmony -- i.e. the major scale.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.