So, I have a decent video camera, although the mic on it doesn't really cut it for recording guitar, so I think (in theory), the best thing to do would be to get a dedicated microphone for my amp, and then sync up the audio, but after that, I'm pretty clueless. What should I be looking for in a good mic? And how much should I spend? (Ideally I don't want to go over £60, but I really don't know how much these things go for)

Thanks guys.
Funny words.
Well, a purist would say a Shure SM57, but that appears out of your budget...

I use a radioshack copy of a Shure SM58. It is called the 33-3004, and is pretty good.

It is more how you mic it, rather than how good this mic is.

I like to "on axis", which means might Right in front of the cab.

Make sure you get your levels right, or you will get just static, and no good sound.

You might want to equalize it too, for better tone.
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
Quote by Joe-Floyd-lover
Well, a purist would say a Shure SM57, but that appears out of your budget...

purist? a purist would pick the perfect mic for the perfect amp (paired with perfect guitar) and place the mic in the perfect spot. a 57 is a good place to start, but is often not the final choice.
Quote by Joe-Floyd-lover

It is more how you mic it, rather than how good this mic is.

you take the crappiest mic and mic the best amp/guitar and it will sound like the crappiest mic. it's like the guitar/amp argument... one without the other just doesn't cut it.

Quote by Joe-Floyd-lover
I like to "on axis", which means might Right in front of the cab.

"on axis" means it it's pointing directly at the source, not tilted at all. you can be on axis but be 3 miles away if you wanted. you can also be "right in front of the cab" with the mic sideways which would be off axis.

Quote by Joe-Floyd-lover

You might want to equalize it too, for better tone.

a properly miked guitar/amp does not need EQ. if you have to fix it later, you have the wrong mic/amp/guitar.

now i realize his budget severely limits what he can get and most of what i said would be for someone who could afford some decent gear, but since we were talking about "purists"...

OP you might want to save a little more money. an interface and a mic (looking at around $200 for a solid starter setup) will be your best option, but if you HAVE to go cheaper (it will sound cheaper too...) i'd try to find a used USB mic or or if your camera has an input, one that will work with it.
Thanks guys, I actually thought £60 would get me pretty far, but as I say I know very little about the market in terms of recording gear.
Funny words.