so i read in this thread about a new tiny terror (i believe it was) that a class A amplifier gets everything from the valves instead of still a little bit distortion from a circuitboard.
can someone explain to me how i can notice the difference in class A or not because in said thread i also read that often amps are called class A when they're not class A but class A/B or whatever.

so what classes do we have in amps?
how can i see what amp a class is without listening to marketing scams?
is my understanding of class A right or not?

thanks alot i'm really curious before buying my first tube amp!
class A relies on the tubes working from a single phase of whatever you are playing. long ago some dudes at Fender i believe discovered a way to increase power in an amp without distortion, this is what's known as Class A/B.

Class A/B works with power tubes with a multiple of 2 and a single phase inverter tube.
thing is, class A distorts easily, class ab was designed to increase volume before distortion.

for example the Fender Champ amplifier (the old ones, not the new modelling ones) were class A, because they had one power tube. the legendary Marshall plexi is A/B with 4 output tubes and one phase inverter.

thats what i know, i ahve no idea on how they class transistor amps but i shouldn't be that much different.

there's also class D but thats another story
I'm right there with you so maybe it's pointless for me to reply, but I'm guessing class A are all-tube (tubes in the pre-amp, power-amp, and rectifier). I know a lot of amps (I'm assuming the class A/B) have tubes the the pre and power amps, but not the rectifier. I haven't had enough experience to really tell a difference but it sounds to me from what I've heard that tube rectifiers give the amp more "sag" when you're playing. I honestly don't know what that means though. Im still a n00b when it comes to all this real technical stuff.

EDIT-I see someone else replied with a real answer so just disregard this post haha.
GEAR:
Fender MIM Strat (all black everthing!)
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Zvex Distortron
Fulltone OCD
ISP Decimator
Vox AC30C2

Power Chords and Downstrums
Last edited by ptregaskis at May 11, 2011,
Class A refers only to the method in which the power tubes operate. It does not have anything to do with getting distortion from sources other than the tubes, nor does it imply anything about whether the amp has solid state components, rectifier or otherwise. It's not 'better' than class A/B, and the only reason we're having this thread is because companies plaster "class A" on their products (most of which are not) because it sounds like something desirable.

The Tiny Terror is not Class A. It is A/B. Almost all amps that have more than one power tube are class A/B (amps with one power tube cannot operate in A/B). It isn't something most people really need to worry about, since you're highly unlikely to come across a Class A amp that's not a low-wattage single power tube design.
there are actually almost no class A push-pull or parallel guitar amplifiers.

class A, AB1, AB2 have everything to do with how the tubes are biased, how the transformer is wound, etc.

All one tube power amps are class A single ended.

almost all preamps are class A single ended.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
It's kind of annoying when amp makers advertise their push-pull amps as class A. I think we should refer to them as hybrids.
Quote by Roc8995
Class A refers only to the method in which the power tubes operate. It does not have anything to do with getting distortion from sources other than the tubes, nor does it imply anything about whether the amp has solid state components, rectifier or otherwise. It's not 'better' than class A/B, and the only reason we're having this thread is because companies plaster "class A" on their products (most of which are not) because it sounds like something desirable.

The Tiny Terror is not Class A. It is A/B. Almost all amps that have more than one power tube are class A/B (amps with one power tube cannot operate in A/B). It isn't something most people really need to worry about, since you're highly unlikely to come across a Class A amp that's not a low-wattage single power tube design.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?