I'm planning on getting a dist pedal in a few weeks and i want to make sure i get the right one. I am planning on spending anywhere from 100-200$. I play mostly metalcore (demonhunter, august burns red, as i lay dying) so i want that tone. I have a little Kustom dart ten and a cort zenox z44 with emg hz's.
Regardless which one you buy, it's probably going to sound like crap through a 10 watt solid state practice amp.
Save money by putting some rips in your speaker cone and then stuff newspaper in it. That's how they used to do it a long time ago.
Quote by al112987
Regardless which one you buy, it's probably going to sound like crap through a 10 watt solid state practice amp.

agree. save for a better amp and then see if you still need a pedal. if you feel you must have a pedal now then try EH Metal Muff.
Get a vypyr 30. It will nail that tone way better than any pedal can in that price range. And you get effects built in.
Quote by guitarpatrick66
Get a vypyr 30. It will nail that tone way better than any pedal can in that price range. And you get effects built in.

only do this if you dont intend on gigging or turning the amp up very loud. modeling amps are great for messing around at home and practice amps and watnot but wen it comes down to playing with a band, they just dont make the cut.

a new amp would definately be beneficial because not many smaller amps like that will accept pedals all that well. however, im sure you hate hearing ppl telling u to get a new amp as i do. so i would reccomend the the mxr fullbore metal. very adjustable, huge variety of tone, TONS of gain on tap, and built in mid scoop function and noise gait. really well built pedal and is only $100
Quote by andrerist
only do this if you dont intend on gigging or turning the amp up very loud. modeling amps are great for messing around at home and practice amps and watnot but wen it comes down to playing with a band, they just dont make the cut.

a new amp would definately be beneficial because not many smaller amps like that will accept pedals all that well. however, im sure you hate hearing ppl telling u to get a new amp as i do. so i would reccomend the the mxr fullbore metal. very adjustable, huge variety of tone, TONS of gain on tap, and built in mid scoop function and noise gait. really well built pedal and is only $100

Yeah. Since the amp he has is great for gigging.
Quote by al112987

U might be right but i have a korg multi effects sound processor and it sounds really good. I think my amp's clean channel is good enough that the amp takes pedals well. I want a pedal because in a while i will be getting a new amp anyways. I like pedals because you can switch up and change the tone without spending to much
Quote by andrerist

Thanx that's what i wanted to hear. Not a bunch of know-it-alls telling me to get a new amp.
Pretty much every other distortion pedal is redundant once you see the Okko Dominator.

However, if you're going to be getting a new amp soon anyway, why not just save the money and get a new amp sooner? If the amp is your next goal, it would make more of a difference to your tone to save this money and put it towards an amp
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by naugustrocks23
Thanx that's what i wanted to hear. Not a bunch of know-it-alls telling me to get a new amp.

telling you what you want to hear isn't always what you need to hear. i figure that after 30+ years of playing i might know something but that doesn't make me a know it all. i gave you a recommendation even though getting a different amp is a better solution. keep an open mind and remember this when down the road you end up grumbling that you should have gotten a better amp instead of spending money on a pedal.
Quote by SimplyBen
Pretty much every other distortion pedal is redundant once you see the Okko Dominator.

However, if you're going to be getting a new amp soon anyway, why not just save the money and get a new amp sooner? If the amp is your next goal, it would make more of a difference to your tone to save this money and put it towards an amp

I disagree with the first part. My Wampler triple wreck is far from redundant and has ended my quest for dirt. I will admit that someone who is looking to play primarily metalcore might be better off with the dominator, but I believe that the wampler with the vintage/modern toggle and the boost function is much more versitile and it's almost impossible to get a bad sound out of it.

I totally agree with the second part though.
you're spending more on a pedal than your amp is worth. that typically does not end well.
Quote by Grawgos
I disagree with the first part. My Wampler triple wreck is far from redundant and has ended my quest for dirt. I will admit that someone who is looking to play primarily metalcore might be better off with the dominator, but I believe that the wampler with the vintage/modern toggle and the boost function is much more versitile and it's almost impossible to get a bad sound out of it.

I did say pretty much
I know there are a few others that are equally awesome for different tones.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
I did say pretty much
I know there are a few others that are equally awesome for different tones.

I know you know your stuff Ben

It was alittle messing around with ya and to inform those who don't know.
Quote by monwobobbo
telling you what you want to hear isn't always what you need to hear. i figure that after 30+ years of playing i might know something but that doesn't make me a know it all. i gave you a recommendation even though getting a different amp is a better solution. keep an open mind and remember this when down the road you end up grumbling that you should have gotten a better amp instead of spending money on a pedal.

The reason why i want to wait on the amp is because i for sure will be getting one by september and i wont be going cheap. I want the pedal now because i will be working later in the summer so money is not an issue. I'll be getting both anyways so why not use money i have now and buy the amp later. Also i know u probably know more than me but what i meant is that it seems even though i ask for a pedal i get amp. I know my situation and have thought through it. Thanx for the recommendation though. I'll look into it.
Last edited by naugustrocks23 at May 13, 2011,
^ Because the amp you buy may make buying a distortion unnecessary if the amps built in distortion covers your bases.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
Quote by monwobobbo
agree. save for a better amp and then see if you still need a pedal. if you feel you must have a pedal now then try EH Metal Muff.

Agreed, although someone is bound to knock me down for saying this, I think the EHX Metal Muff is a fantastic pedal for getting some good metal tones. I need a ISP decimator behind mine to clean up the signal, but it sounds cracking to my ears, espcially as you can get if for £40/$80 second hand, probally cheaper. But a better amp first would be the way to go as others have said
i would, in my opinion get a mxr micro amp pedal, after the amp has been upgraded...i use on to upgrade the gain on my randall, and i dig
Quote by Slash_is_a_God
^ Because the amp you buy may make buying a distortion unnecessary if the amps built in distortion covers your bases.

Again as i said befor i want a pedal for distortion because it is more versitile. Now before telling me that this or this amp is very adjustable pedals are more and u can get different pedals for the fraction of an amp. Also if an amp has a good distortion i need a foot controller otherwise it is useless on stage.(not completely but im exagerrating a bit).
Distortion pedals sound buzzy, cheap and harsh through solid state amps.

There I said it.
^ +1

One's core sound should be defined at the amp, so one should get an amp which has the sounds one enjoys using (clean and dirty) and use pedals to embellish that sound. *shrug* Just my philosophy, take it or leave it.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
Quote by Slash_is_a_God
^ +1

One's core sound should be defined at the amp, so one should get an amp which has the sounds one enjoys using (clean and dirty) and use pedals to embellish that sound. *shrug* Just my philosophy, take it or leave it.

I'll leave it. I like my amp and my question was what distortion pedals are good for metal. Not should i get a pedal or amp. Sorry if this sounds harsh but i get annoyed when people can't seem to understand that fact.
Pedals often times DO seem to care what is placed in front of them. And some amps don't take well to distortion pedals. Small, cheap SS practice amps seem to be the worst offenders. I might have a wonderful pedal that gets all sorts of rocking sounds out of it in front of my Metroamp 45, but the moment I unplug it from there and stick it in front of a frontman, it sounds like a dying cat trapped in a trash can with a hive of angry bees. Some tend to sound really bad with solid state amps, distortion pedals, particularly high gain distortion pedals seem most susceptible to this. You don't even want to think about what my Big Muff sounds like through my super champ *shudders*

There are suggestions one could make about what pedal is good for metal, etc. and if that's all you want, then that's fine. Just don't expect it to sound awesomely awesome.
Last edited by al112987 at May 18, 2011,
How good any pedal is going to sound is completely dependant on what amp it goes through... So if I say 'x' pedal will sound great I'd be wrong. It'd be like if you asked me to recommend a great horror movie and I said 'Shawshank Redemption.' Shawshank Redemption is a great movie, but its not going to satisfy your request... Now can you understand why people are reluctant to just throw out a recommendation?

Your best bet if you must have a pedal now is to take your amp into a store and try a bunch. We're not saying that there isn't a pedal out there that will sound just like you want, just that its difficult to say which will sound good since pedals don't react with small SS amps the way they are intended to. Something that normally sounds terrible might sound great with your amp and vice versa.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by al112987

TS buy a Peavy Vypyr 30 or Vox VT20+ either would be a much better use of your limited budget...
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
I agree with the others in that a new amp might be rather useful, even if you are getting a big/new amp soon too.
Could prove useful as a good practice amp if you're going to be buying a tube amp that you can't properly crank at home, or whatever.

I would suggest pedals but I've only ever tried a rocktron zombie and a boss MT2. Wouldn't really recommend either to be honest.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
Quote by Grawgos

Wat.

Dominator kicks its arse in high AND low gain applications.

Only thing the wampler has is that it can simulate a recto which is not that great anyway
Quote by bogg808
Wat.

Dominator kicks its arse in high AND low gain applications.

Only thing the wampler has is that it can simulate a recto which is not that great anyway

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree, because I certainly don't agree with your above thoughts.
Quote by Grawgos

This!

Triple wreck is too awesome. I run a triple wreck for high gain and a plextortion for low and of tones. I used to run a crnchbox for the mid gain to high gain Marshall sound as well.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
To the TS, a range of tones from Demon Hunter, to August Burns Red, to As I Lay Dying is pretty wide. The Demon Hunter side of things will be more bassy and thick and have a bit less distortion. The August Burns Red and As I Lay Dying side of things will be more sharp with more distortion and compressed, but August Burns Red sounds a little smoother than As I Lay Dying. They ALL use or have used the Peavey 5150/6505 sound (As I Lay Dying on the newer album). Maybe try the Hardwire Metal Distortion? It can go from a tight and sharp sound to looser and thicker sound.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
To the TS, a range of tones from Demon Hunter, to August Burns Red, to As I Lay Dying is pretty wide. The Demon Hunter side of things will be more bassy and thick and have a bit less distortion. The August Burns Red and As I Lay Dying side of things will be more sharp with more distortion and compressed, but August Burns Red sounds a little smoother than As I Lay Dying. They ALL use or have used the Peavey 5150/6505 sound (As I Lay Dying on the newer album). Maybe try the Hardwire Metal Distortion? It can go from a tight and sharp sound to looser and thicker sound.

Hey man, Thanx for all the info. I didn't really know what type of a tone i was looking for in a pedal. I thought i would just know it when i heard it. Thanx again.
Quote by naugustrocks23
The reason why i want to wait on the amp is because i for sure will be getting one by september and i wont be going cheap. I want the pedal now because i will be working later in the summer so money is not an issue. I'll be getting both anyways so why not use money i have now and buy the amp later. Also i know u probably know more than me but what i meant is that it seems even though i ask for a pedal i get amp. I know my situation and have thought through it. Thanx for the recommendation though. I'll look into it.

If you had a low-def tv and were asking people for recommendations for Blu Ray players what would people tell you? That's right, they'd all tell you to get a new tv.

A pedal's only ever going to be as good as the amp you plug into allows it to be. People aren't telling you to get a new amp because they're "know it alls", they're telling you to get a new amp because they don't want you to waste money.

If you want to sound better then you NEED a new amp, that's indisputable. Any money you spend on a pedal now could be the difference between you getting an ok amp or a great one. All your arguments are moot because the right amp may well provide you with the tone you want out of the box, and will also probably have a footswitch for changing channels.

If you get an amp and have money left over then go for it, buy a pedal and you'll know exactly what to get because you already know what your amp sounds like.

At the moment though you have a maximum budget of $200 - that will buy you a great pedal which won't make your sound any better because of the amp, or it'll buy you a practice amp that will be miles better sounding and far more versatile than your current fartbox or a pedal would be in your current situation. So, what is it you want? Do you actually want to sound better? Or do you just want a pedal for the sake of buying something?

I don't know about you, but I don't like wasting money if I can help it - if you MUST buy a pedal then just get a cheapy Behringer distortion or something similar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
If you had a low-def tv and were asking people for recommendations for Blu Ray players what would people tell you? That's right, they'd all tell you to get a new tv.

A pedal's only ever going to be as good as the amp you plug into allows it to be. People aren't telling you to get a new amp because they're "know it alls", they're telling you to get a new amp because they don't want you to waste money.

If you want to sound better then you NEED a new amp, that's indisputable. Any money you spend on a pedal now could be the difference between you getting an ok amp or a great one. All your arguments are moot because the right amp may well provide you with the tone you want out of the box, and will also probably have a footswitch for changing channels.

If you get an amp and have money left over then go for it, buy a pedal and you'll know exactly what to get because you already know what your amp sounds like.

At the moment though you have a maximum budget of $200 - that will buy you a great pedal which won't make your sound any better because of the amp, or it'll buy you a practice amp that will be miles better sounding and far more versatile than your current fartbox or a pedal would be in your current situation. So, what is it you want? Do you actually want to sound better? Or do you just want a pedal for the sake of buying something?

I don't know about you, but I don't like wasting money if I can help it - if you MUST buy a pedal then just get a cheapy Behringer distortion or something similar.

Okay i understand why u would say this but the amp i have now is actually a verry good practice amp. It is highly underated because the company isn't as well known as fender,vox or marshel. It doesn't have built in effects and on it's own it sounds like crap. But plug it into a pedal with the amp on clean and u'll find that it is all u need for practice. IT TAKE PEDALS REALL WELL. My reason for a pedal is because the pedal i have now doesn't have a good variety of good distortions for playing diverent songs. I want something that i can totally customize and posssible have presets. Now people are going to tell me to get a modeling amp but i don't want one because it is posseble to get a way better amp and plug in a really good pedal and way outdo the modeling amp. I don't care how realistic the modeling amp sounds or what features it has. If i buy it all seperatly i can buy new stuff and change up. Money is not a huge issue so this seems like the better deal in the long run. and another thing i am not playing live right now so the sound of the pedal in the amp is not a big deal right now. Later after i buy the big amp and if i think i need to i will buy a better practice amp.
Last edited by naugustrocks23 at May 27, 2011,