Hello Guys,

I was just wondering, if my friend is playing rythem guitar, and doing a chord progression. Is there a simple way for me to know what key it is in, so i can play the right scale to it?
yes. use your ear.

seriously, it's that simple.

if your ear is not well-trained, the easiest way after that is to simply ask your friend what chords he's playing, and use that accordingly.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
For example if hes plays a 3 chord progression, do i play a scale to the first chord he plays in that progression to be on key?
Find which chord feel "at home." This is where the progression resolves. That should tell you the key of the song, so then you know what scale to use.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
yeah, just try a few til you find it, it may take a while at first, but your ear will get better. there is a simpler way though, if you can see your rhythm guitarist, just look at his hands. if the first chord he plays is clearly an A minor, then guess what key he's most likely in...A minor! unless you're playing jazz or something with more complicated progressions that don't start on I (i).
gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!
Thanks for the speedy reply guys

I have band practice tonight so was looking for a good answer, thanks!
Quote by AlphaOmega1222
Hello Guys,

I was just wondering, if my friend is playing rythem guitar, and doing a chord progression. Is there a simple way for me to know what key it is in, so i can play the right scale to it?

The simple way would be to know what's going on in the big picture. You will always be at a disadvantage if you don't understand what is going on. Using your ear is important, but knowing what is going on, and understanding theory will really give you the tools you need to be able to walk into any situation and play. Without it, ultimately you're going to hit a wall, in most cases.

Best,

Sean