So I was thinking about getting a Fargen MiniPlex and sent an email to Fargen Amps with a couple of questions. Since I play mostly Blues Rock, he told me he can make a lower gain version with 3 different circuits. A 50s setting (Tween Bassman), a 60s setting (JTM45) and a 70s setting (Modded Plexi).

Is this possible? Can one amp get all of those tones? I can understand the MiniPlex, wich has 3 Marshall circuits (JTM45, Plexi and JCM800) but is it possible to also have a Fender tone with that amp?

From the videos I've seen the tones of the MiniPlex seem really good, specially the 70s tone so I'm considering buying the lower gain version if it really works. Here is a video of the Fargen Olde 800, which is a 25W version of the MiniPlex if anyone wants to check out the tones.
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Last edited by blues-guitarist at May 11, 2011,
Quote by WtrPlyr
A Bassman and a JTM-45 are very alike.

Yea, I've read somewhere that he JTM4 is based on the Bassman's circuit, but what about the Plexi?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Fargen used to have that switch on all of their amps, I'm not sure why it went away. Anyway, it doesn't actually have all three of those amp circuits in it, but if you build to the JTM45 spec you can reach towards the other two with a change in the cathode bypass cap. In the miniPlex it used to be called the 'decade' switch, and while it might be a little different now, the values were:
80s = 22 uF cap
70s = no cap
60s = .68 uF cap
80s being the plexi, 70s the JTM and 60s the bassman in your case. It won't make the amp sound exactly like those amps, but it will mimic their voicing. The .68 is the equivalent of the bright switch/input on fender amps, and the 22 is like the fat boost you find on a lot of marshall style amps.

So, to answer your question, you can approximate all three tones in the same amp. I'd say it's easier to do that than to do a '45 and a JCM800 in the same amp, because the bassman-45-plexi were all low-ish gain amps, while the 800 reaches into much higher gain territory. Whether that switch is faithful to those amps is up to your ear, but I'd say you can reasonably expect it to give you three usable voicings for the miniplex.
yeah i'm sure the fargen can get close to those tones.

not much other then the preamp changed from different marshall eras. you could totally have the lower gain pre's with a switchable extra one.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
lolwut?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Formatting fail.

Fargen looks cool, but none of his amps are big enough, IMO.

30W for the Mighty Plex? No thanks, I like low end response.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ Formatting fail.

??
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Originally you had this:

lolwut?

But I didn't bother quoting it.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
ah ok, i figured that was maybe it, but I wasn't sure if that was it or not
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Roc8995

80s = 22 uF cap
70s = no cap
60s = .68 uF cap
80s being the plexi, 70s the JTM and 60s the bassman in your case. It won't make the amp sound exactly like those amps, but it will mimic their voicing. The .68 is the equivalent of the bright switch/input on fender amps, and the 22 is like the fat boost you find on a lot of marshall style amps.
That's pretty interesting, I would've thought it was the other way around. The stock JTM45 has a 250 uF shared cathode bypass cap and an 800 (and I think all the plexis) had 0.68 uF.
It seems right to me in terms of midrange content, but not gain. I imagine he's got the preamp voiced such that you're supposed to use the switch to find the voicing you want and then adjust the gain to fit that voicing. It may not be faithful to the original circuits but it makes sense in this context.
You should try a Vypyr, you get all those amps and like 21 others.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Roc8995
Fargen used to have that switch on all of their amps, I'm not sure why it went away. Anyway, it doesn't actually have all three of those amp circuits in it, but if you build to the JTM45 spec you can reach towards the other two with a change in the cathode bypass cap. In the miniPlex it used to be called the 'decade' switch, and while it might be a little different now, the values were:
80s = 22 uF cap
70s = no cap
60s = .68 uF cap

So, to answer your question, you can approximate all three tones in the same amp. I'd say it's easier to do that than to do a '45 and a JCM800 in the same amp, because the bassman-45-plexi were all low-ish gain amps, while the 800 reaches into much higher gain territory. Whether that switch is faithful to those amps is up to your ear, but I'd say you can reasonably expect it to give you three usable voicings for the miniplex.

which gain stage did it do this on?
No significant pop that I can remember - it's in parallel with the cathode resistor which drains the cap enough to reduce/remove the pop.