I wanna preface my question by just saying I hope everyone is having a nice day and thank you to everyone who helped recommend me an amp a couple months back. I've finally scrapped together enough money to buy myself a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III which sounds orgasmic compared to my previous solid-state amps.

Anyways on to my question. What I want to know is, considering this is my first ever tube amp, when is it appropriate to utilize the stand-by switch? The salesman at the guitar shop was telling me it's always good to turn on the amp, let the tubes heat up for about a minute before I flick the stand-by and then when I'm done playing flick the stand-by back and let them cool down before turning it off. While reading the owners manual it said you can leave the amp in stand-by if you're going to be away from it for awhile to save the tubes the shock of heating and cooling and they'll stay ready ready to play with.

So basically what I want to know is, when would it be appropriate to leave the amp on? I figure if I'm away for about an hour it would be fine to leave it in stand-by but what about more than that? Also would there be any adverse affects to either the amp or the tubes if say I accidentally left the amp on and fell asleep?

Thanks in advance for the responses and sorry 'bout the wall of text! Haha I fully intend to take care of this baby as well I can though.
I would not recommend falling asleep with them on, however with my amp I have turned it on before playing and let the tubes warm up only to forget about it and about an hour or so later went back and turned standby off and everything was perfectly fine. There are probably a lot of well versed tube amp guru's out there that will be able to explain the specifics. Just a heads up though, make sure you let your amp cool down before turning it off, i.e. kick standby on before turning the amp off, I normally wait about a minute inbetween.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Yeah I've made sure to let it both warm-up and cool off each time I've used it so far. I have absolutely no intention of falling asleep with it on but it's been known to happen with my previous amps, kinda like forgetting to unplug my pedals when they're running on batteries haha. Thank you for your response though
When turning it on leave it in standby for half a minute or so. You don't have to put it standby to turn it off. If you're going to be away from it for more than a couple minutes then just turn it all off.
If you left you amp on fully or in standby for a long time the tubes will slowly wear down. Just turn it off and save some electricity. Doing this once or twice won't have a noticeable effect but don't make a habit out of it.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at May 11, 2011,
No need to cool down before turning off. If you leave your amp for an hour you only need to turn down the volume. Turning on standby isn't necessary and there is even some rationale for not using standby. Leaving an amp on for a long time exposes the internal components to heat for prolonged periods plus adds wear to the tubes. So it's best to turn it off if you are leaving it for several hours. Plus leaving it unattended while on is not a good idea.

You really don't even need a standby switch. If you turn it on and wait 30 sec, then it's fine.
Quote by bobafettacheese
Just a heads up though, make sure you let your amp cool down before turning it off, i.e. kick standby on before turning the amp off, I normally wait about a minute inbetween.

The heaters are still on when you're in standby so how does this cool it down?
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904

+ infinity

Yeah you can pretty much just turn it off. A lot of people (myself included) flip it to standby before turning off so the standby switch is in the right position for the next time it's being turned on.

Regarding standby when you aren't playing for a while... I wouldn't leave an amp on standby for much more than half an hour, but that's just me. Leaving it on standby for too long can do more harm than good.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by justinb904
When turning it on leave it in standby for half a minute or so. You don't have to put it standby to turn it off. If you're going to be away from it for more than a couple minutes then just turn it all off.
If you left you amp on fully or in standby for a long time the tubes will slowly wear down. Just turn it off and save some electricity. Doing this once or twice won't have a noticeable effect but don't make a habit out of it.

Alright thank you, I'll make sure to just turn it off when I'm done using it even if I'll be back a little later. I still think it would a good idea to put it in stand-by before I turn it off though just so the next time I decide to play I won't turn it on and it won't have a chance to heat up because I left it off stand-by. Thank you guys for the answers, I really want to preserve the amp and all of it's components for as long as I can since I'm not exactly loaded with cash right now or anytime soon haha

Hilarious sig by the way, ironically enough I have a fuzz pedal.
Quote by justinb904

Although I agree with the implied conclusion that you don't need standby to cool it down I must pull you up a bit there. The heater is not the biggest contributor to the overall heat generated by a valve, far from it. The heat generated by the electrons slamming into the plate makes the heater look like a bar radiator next to blast furnace.

Some will argue that heating the cathode alone without any current flowing (ie. in standby mode) causes cathode poisoning. It's a heated debate.
It's a good idea to flick standby off when you turn off the amp just so it's in the right position next time you use it. Some people hit standby first to stop the big pop through the speakers. On my amp hitting standby makes more noise than just hitting power.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
my mistake, I have just always heard to turn on standby before turning off, which I do not adhere to as much as i thought i had. But apparently standby is not needed at all when turning off, interesting to know, I learned something today. However, I often forget to turn my standby on when I turn on the amp, which is why i think I turned it off when turning the amp off. thanks for all the info.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
My amp doesn't have a standby switch.

As Cath said, you can just turn down the volume for short breaks. Otherwise just turn it off.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!