I'm looking to get some effects pedals for my bass, and one of the things I'm interested in is a distortion of some kind. I used my Little Big Muff Pi pedal, but it sounded bloody awful

What stomp boxes do you guys recomend?
Thus far my favourite has been the Catalinbread SFT (As far as I can tell, those initials don't actually stand for anything).

It can be used for guitar and bass (I've only used it for bass), and can give just about everything in the gain spectrum.

Setting the gain to around 8 o'clock, or bascally just barely on, can give you a nice tube-y 'motown sound' kind of a vibe; not my thing, but a useful for a covers player (which I am.)

9-10 o'clock will you a nice amount of edge for a nice metal bass tone, with the original tone mostly intact, and plenty of definiton.

12-1 o'clock is where I generally have the gain, which is enough to really start to distort your sound. This setting gives me the *perfect* tone for Song 2 by Blur.

Anything higher than that starts to get very wooly, and while I don't tend to use it, it has applications for Muse-type stuff and doom metal.

There are also lots of good clips on youtube demoing the sound of this pedal, if you're inclined to look.

I'd highly recommend it; it's versatile, reliable, and good value.
Straight up, just a regular boss distortion pedal sounds badass, just sayin. BUT if your lookin to go the proper route for distortion for bass's then idk. I've just heard a few bass players with the boss distortion pedal and it sounds awesome.
Quote by Wolffgang
Thus far my favourite has been the Catalinbread SFT (As far as I can tell, those initials don't actually stand for anything).

It can be used for guitar and bass (I've only used it for bass), and can give just about everything in the gain spectrum.

Setting the gain to around 8 o'clock, or bascally just barely on, can give you a nice tube-y 'motown sound' kind of a vibe; not my thing, but a useful for a covers player (which I am.)

9-10 o'clock will you a nice amount of edge for a nice metal bass tone, with the original tone mostly intact, and plenty of definiton.

12-1 o'clock is where I generally have the gain, which is enough to really start to distort your sound. This setting gives me the *perfect* tone for Song 2 by Blur.

Anything higher than that starts to get very wooly, and while I don't tend to use it, it has applications for Muse-type stuff and doom metal.

There are also lots of good clips on youtube demoing the sound of this pedal, if you're inclined to look.

I'd highly recommend it; it's versatile, reliable, and good value.

Listening to the demos on youtube, and this thing sounds amazing.

As for the boss distortion, I've had horrible experience with boss distortion pedals. I bought their metal zone distortion and it was the worst bloody thing I've ever heard
I guess, speaking of using Boss stuff, it really depends what you want to use it for, more in terms of solo vs band, than specific styles.

Higher gain pedals, including those designed for guitar, can give you a really nice sound, but I find they also disappear in the mix *very* easily. I find the SFT gives a good balance between dirt and still being heard. If anything, i find my tone becomes a little more present in the mix when it's turned on; that's probably just the slight output boost, but it's still very impressive for a dirt box, in my opinion.

Oh, that's another thing, you can use the SFT as a clean boost. And it's true bypass.
Personally, I own a Digitech Distortion/Overdrive pedal and an MXR El Grande Bass Fuzz pedal. I like the Digitech better as I can get more sounds out of it in the area of distortion and overdrive; it has some really nice, not too heavy distortion but can get somewhat heavy if you want it to.

On the other hand, I'm not big on fuzz but I figured I'd try the MXR anyway. If you're looking for some real heavy fuzz then grab this one (see the demos on youtube, they're pretty helpful). I usually have the volume at about 8 o'clock and the fuzz at about 10 o'clock and it's super loud and heavy.

It seems that I have similar tastes to Wolffgang (^) so I may not have provided anymore info, but I'd say a Boss, Digitech or the one Wolffgang mentioned would be good for distortion/overdrive. If you want super heavy fuzz try the MXR.

Happy Hunting!
www.bassfuzz.com

see what suits you. If you like the muff sound, but yours doesn't translate to bass, there's a billion clones out there with adjustments made to the tone stack or clean blend knobs added so that they sound better on bass. Cruise through bassfuzz and you should be able to find plenty of examples. EHX itself makes a bass muff pedal. I use a GGG muff clone (same as the Blue Beard fuzz) and love it even without a heavily modified tone stack or a blend knob.

Another option I've been playing with lately is using the boss LS-2 to combine various dirt pedals with a clean signal. You get to control how much clean and how much of the pedal comes through, so you can get some real nasty tones and still have your low end intact for some punch and definition. I use it with pedals that would never work on bass on their own, I also use it to just combine decent OD sounds with clean ones so that the bass seems fuller in the mix (just like a lot of good sound guys or engineers always grab the dirty and the clean bass sounds and combine them anyway!)

Top picks on my board right now:

OD: Bad Monkey with a cap swap for insane lows.
Fuzz: GGG tuned muff switched to red LED clipping (again the fun of modding and adding a switch).
Bit crushy, synthy fuzz: Deviever twin with a karaoke party into a soda mesier and the soda meiser set to chaos mode. (This haaaaas to be blended with cleans to make it useful on the bass).
Distortion: Boss ODB-3

Everything but the muff changes pretty often, but I'll probably stick with that badder monkey for a while. It's pretty sweet.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at May 11, 2011,
Just got a used Boss ODB-3 today, pretty pleased with the half an hour or so I've played with it so far. They're a more prominent pedal out there so if you watch craiglist you can probably snag a used one for a good deal like I did. In my experience so far, I like it more for adding a tiny tiny bit of overdrive, to make the bass fill a little more space in the overall sound. A little goes along way. But like I said, if you can find a cheap used one, give it a shot and you might like it. Wouldn't reccomend it for Muse/ heavy fuzz type stuff if thats what you're looking for however.
Chris did use a ODB-3 for the early muse stuff, like showbiz and origin of symmetry though.

Theres alot of dirt boxes out there, I use a Marshall Guv'nor plus (like Tim C's early rage against the machine stuff) and the Ibanez PD7 and it sounds huge, it has a good range but does seem to scoop the mids alittle. The option of switching between OD and distortion is good and the attack switch that adds some highs to help cut through in the mix, can get alittle noisy but you usually can't hear it when your playing.

Just listen to as many as possible, it depends what you want. If your undecided check out the Digitech bass driver, it has a morph mode that switches between overdrive, through distortion, to fuzz, handy if you can't make your mind up.
^ Yes he did, but I'm pretty sure it was in tandem with a proper distortion pedal. Russian big muff if I remember my muse right
I actually just bought a Fulltone OCD pedal, and I've really been digging it, it has a good dynamic range and the sound I get out of it is wonderful!
The Hartkee Bass Attack is only about $80 new.
It has a kind of distortion that is nice if you don't
over do it.

It also has a cool preamp that can easily be set
to some real nice sounds.

I use it as a preamp for a 700 watt Crown PA
amp that powers a 410 Genz Benz cab. It sounds
awesome,

There are much more better boxes out there.
But, for the price, it is hard to beat,

Tabdog
I am gonna throw in my suggestion of the Wounded Paw Attack Goat. I have used it to great success.

it has a very harsh sound that is reminiscent of a Boss or a muff, but has much more clarity to it. it also has a blend knob, which all fuzz pedals should have, in my opinion.

Also, everyone digs the name.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom