Page 1 of 5
Sorry if this has been done recently, I didn't know what to search to find it.

I don't like how everyone is expected to admire certain works of art/music/literature. If you say you didn't like "The Catcher in the Rye" or don't listen to Jazz, you're immediately regarded as some ignorant uncultured retard. Just because something is influential doesn't mean you are obliged to enjoy it.

I also don't like how you can't describe someone's skin colour without being called a racist by some over-sensitive individual. I'm not making a value judgement, merely a description. I can describe someone by gender, height, hair and eye colour and it's okay. How is skin colour any different?

Also, wearing ties at formal occasions. I never understood what purpose they serve. They're also pretty expensive for something that just dangles around your neck.

What about you, Pit?
Pants
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
I don't understand handshakes and really really don't like them.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Being nice to someone in public even though you hate their guts.
I forgot how to play guitar. Q_Q
I don't think people are expected to enjoy certain cultural things. I'm pretty open about my dislike for Catcher in the Rye and Dylan, for example, but since I explain it calmly and I'm not confrontational or stupid about it ("it's just shit, anyone who likes it is a tool" etc etc) no-one minds.
Last edited by Cloaca at May 11, 2011,
The thing with the Catcher in the Rye and Jazz stuff, it's OK to not like it; however, if you claim it's a load of crap and has no influence or importance, then that's what bothers me.
Isn't it a pity?
Now, isn't it a shame?
How we break each other's hearts,
And cause each other pain...

"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it." - John Lennon
The idea that Shakespeare is by any means the greatest writer of all time. It's an opinion normally held by people whose only exposure to literature was in school.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
The idea that Shakespeare is by any means the greatest writer of all time. It's an opinion normally held by people whose only exposure to literature was in school.

And you..know....some people who've devoted their whole lives to studying his works.
Quote by Todd Hart

Well I'm doing Shakespeare at school at the moment and I frickin' hate it

I do appreciate he is good, but totally overrated, especially in the curriculum.

I don't like forced small talk, it's horrible. I'd rather go straight to big talk than go through all this phatic nonsense.
Quote by Todd Hart

Technically, he was a playwright. Not a writer. It's a fine distinction, but plays and books cannot be said to be in the same category.

OT: I'm not a fan of the idea that all men should be cleanshaven. I have a beard. I keep it well trimmed and all, but I do have one. It's almost like people see me as sort of rebellious because I have one. Maybe even that it's a phase that I'll grow out of.
Frankly, I'm a Messianic Jew. I grow a beard because I believe that I should, if I'm going to follow everything I believe in. The idea that I'm somehow a bit of a rebel because I have a beard annoys me.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 11, 2011,
I don't like how everyone always expects you to have an opinion ready on all things, so you can share it with them.
Quote by blake1221
And you..know....some people who've devoted their whole lives to studying his works.

I'm not arguing that Shakespeare isn't good. His writing (as much as it can be called his writing, seeing as all of it was written by his actors after his death and almost all the stories are simply his adaptations of already existing stories, Hamlet and Thomas Kyde's Ur Hamlet for example) is very good, the poetry is fantastic and the semantics and symbolism is incredible, but the idea that anyone can be called the greatest writer of all time is a fallacy. There are many authors who are/were easily as skilled at writing as Shakespeare was, and many wrote far more compelling pieces. Shakespeare was influential to the extreme, but the modern curriculum puts far too much emphasis on his work, and society accepts this despite most people having never read his work in any detail, and many of them never having read it whatsoever.

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Technically, he was a playwright. Not a writer. It's a fine distinction, but plays and books cannot be said to be in the same category.

A writer is anyone who writes pieces of literature. Arguably it could expand to anyone who has ever written anything. Shakespeare was a writer.

All playwrights are writers, not all writers are playwrights. It's clade, of sorts.
Last edited by Todd Hart at May 11, 2011,
Liking/appreciating the Beatles.

Oh, and the idea that it's somehow unacceptable to have learned something from watching QI.
Quote by Todd Hart
I'm not arguing that Shakespeare isn't good. His writing (as much as it can be called his writing, seeing as all of it was written by his actors after his death and almost all the stories are simply his adaptations of already existing stories, Hamlet and Thomas Kyde's Ur Hamlet for example) is very good, the poetry is fantastic and the semantics and symbolism is incredible, but the idea that anyone can be called the greatest writer of all time is a fallacy. There are many authors who are/were easily as skilled at writing as Shakespeare was, and many wrote far more compelling pieces. Shakespeare was influential to the extreme, but the modern curriculum puts far too much emphasis on his work, and society accepts this despite most people having never read his work in any detail, and many of them never having read it whatsoever.

A writer is anyone who writes pieces of literature. Arguably it could expand to anyone who has ever written anything. Shakespeare was a writer.

All playwrights are writers, not all writers are playwrights. It's clade, of sorts.

I hardly think reading one work a year in most high schools is "far too much emphasis."
Small talk, talking about things I know neither me nor you care the slightest about but we will talk about it just to talk. If I bump into someone I have absolutely nothing to say I really would prefer to not to talk to the person in question. Nothing can be given from idiotic small talk.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by BringMeTheDerp
Being nice to someone in public even though you hate their guts.

Something I've always had contempt for and have never done. I was always taught that you don't break bread with the enemy. If I don't like someone, I'm not going to be ignorant, but I won't act like I do.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I hate the fact that if you don't like upped-y (word I invented), major key songs you are classified as a depressed person.
What if I just like slow music? What if I enjoy a little thought and effort from the artists who made the song?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that all major key up-beat songs are dumb and effortless, I just think that it's harder for someone to put a little more emotion into their music than just 'happy'.

In other words, screw people
Quote by blake1221
I hardly think reading one work a year in most high schools is "far too much emphasis."

One piece of work a year from one specific author is a disgraceful way to teach literature.
I personally don't like football, that by definition means i'm a retard to all men.

I think it's really quite boring, not to mention extremely homosocial.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Another example of Shakespeare copying plots is Romeo and Juliet, it is almost the same story as Pyrimus and Thisbe. He even jokes upon the similarity in A Mid Summer Night's Dream
Quote by Todd Hart
I was merely making the distinction that plays are not in the same category as books. If you want to say that Shakespeare was the greatest writer of plays of all time, sure. (However, I don't see how one can say that unless one has read every play ever written or performed.) My point is it's stupid to just have this massive category titled "writers" and then clump plays, books, essays, etc. in there and rate the writers based upon some broad format.
It's even stupider to go, "X writer was the greatest writer ever!" Again, unless you've read every piece of written work ever...you cannot make that call.

Quote by Todd Hart
Indeed. I think I understood that...
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 11, 2011,
Quote by Todd Hart
One piece of work a year from one specific author is a disgraceful way to teach literature.

I think you're making a little too big of a deal out of it.

Out of +60 pieces of literature I read total in high school, 3 were shakespearean. Disgraceful?
Quote by JD Close
Another example of Shakespeare copying plots is Romeo and Juliet, it is almost the same story as Pyrimus and Thisbe. He even jokes upon the similarity in A Mid Summer Night's Dream

The 'copying' of other peoples work is not what I condone, every author emulates their forebearers to some degree, whether they like it or not. I don't dislike anything about Shakespeare's work, it's genuinely is very good literature. However, the huge emphasis on it is appalling.

Quote by blake1221
I think you're making a little too big of a deal out of it.

Out of +60 pieces of literature I read total in high school, 3 were shakespearean. Disgraceful?

Lucky you. Clearly it's an English thing then, but out of about ten pieces I've studied at school (novels and the like that is) I'd say about six of them have been Shakespeare.
Last edited by Todd Hart at May 11, 2011,
For me its tattoos. I don't like that they have become such a taboo in professional environments. While I am not advocating racists or inappropriate tattoos or opposing the idea that companies get to choose their own dress code, the general distaste they are viewed with is not really correct to me. Tattoos have been a part of almost every culture for thousands of years.

The other one is swearing. While I understand that their are certain words with certain connotations that demean and insult entire groups of people, words like **** and shit are just words. And like any other word, their usage should be what determines their appropriateness. I personally dont see a difference between "thats ****ing awesome" and "thats super awesome." Likewise, I dont see a difference between "you're an asshole" and "you're not a nice person".
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I hate the fact that if you don't like upped-y (word I invented), major key songs you are classified as a depressed person.
What if I just like slow music? What if I enjoy a little thought and effort from the artists who made the song?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that all major key up-beat songs are dumb and effortless, I just think that it's harder for someone to put a little more emotion into their music than just 'happy'.

I actually think the opposite. I think a lot of popular music leans towards the angry, miserable and cynical side. Either that, or generic dance tunes which just support partying for its own sake. Songs that express genuine joy or triumph don't seem to be that popular these days.

Of course, someone will list a whole bunch of exceptions.
Quote by Todd Hart
Lucky you. Clearly it's an English thing then, but out of about ten pieces I've studied at school (novels and the like that is) I'd say about six of them have been Shakespeare.

Shit that explains a lot. I'd be as hostile to Shakespeare too if I had to sit through that much
Quote by sashki
I actually think the opposite. I think a lot of popular music leans towards the angry, miserable and cynical side. Either that, or generic dance tunes which just support partying for its own sake. Songs that express genuine joy or triumph don't seem to be that popular these days.

Of course, someone will list a whole bunch of exceptions.
That depends on the genre generally. A lot of pop songs very upbeat. Rock & Metal songs, not so much.

We've sorta fit stuff into a mold. "Pop" is upbeat. "Rock" is X. "Metal" is Y. Etc.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
That depends on the genre generally. A lot of pop songs very upbeat. Rock & Metal songs, not so much.

We've sorta fit stuff into a mold. "Pop" is upbeat. "Rock" is X. "Metal" is Y. Etc.

Not all pop is upbeat. I don't see why rock should always be X. I think that's a relatively recent trend, it's taken a left turn down misery lane since Grunge became cool.

"Back in the day", before I was even born, rock could express a broad pallette of emotions. There were even some happy(ish) metal tunes.
Can I just add my thoughts to the Shakespeare argument.

Firstly, Shakespeare was/ is one of the most famous English Playwrites, with a large amount of successful, well known pieces.
Secondly, he was around at a time of theatrical development, both of the English monarchs who ruled during Shakespeares time were highly intrested in the theatre, and theatre's flourished, the first, permnant theatre (as we know them) was built in London in 1576. Following on from this, during the Jacobean period of theatre (that followed the Elizabethan era) became more immoral, focusing on revenge tragedies and more political pieces, hence the population looked back to the Elizabethan era of theatre as the Golden age, hence 'upping' Shakespeare's status.

In short, Shakespeare wrote alot of decent plays and was around at the right time, hence why schools dick off him
Last edited by *powerslave* at May 11, 2011,
Quote by blake1221
Shit that explains a lot. I'd be as hostile to Shakespeare too if I had to sit through that much

Haha, it would have been more, but me and the rest of the EngLangLit class managed to get the teacher to change us from Hamlet to A Streetcar Named Desire.

Stereotyping also annoys the crap out of me, and so does censorship.
Swearing. Where did people get the idea that you're not allowed to say these specific words, or that they're somehow inferior to other words?
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
^ All of that is true, but it doesn't mean he should get much more focus than any of the other great writers/playwrights.

Quote by Todd Hart
Haha, it would have been more, but me and the rest of the EngLangLit class managed to get the teacher to change us from Hamlet to A Streetcar Named Desire.

The other class got Streetcar, we got Hamlet...
Quote by cdayrocks
Protesters annoy me to no end.

What?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
anything that is considered a formality, like handshakes and suits. and expensive weddings.

another thing is school. of course learning is good and important, but i'm pretty sure that anyone who goes to what is considered a good school nowadays will die five years earlier than when they would have died if they hadn't done all the late night studying.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Page 1 of 5