Hey,

I have a MIM Classic 50's Strat. My A string broke in practise, so I put a new on one. After I did, the A string just rattled like mad, any fret. Playing open it sounds a lot brighter than the other, old strings on it.

So is it just a new string noise? My intonation/truss seems pretty good.

Something else, I blocked my trem, and on the 10th fret of the low E, I hear the springs vibrate..?
Last edited by DeadlySurfer at May 11, 2011,
Tug on your A string a little. It will allow for any extra tension left outside the string scale to be released causing the string in the scale to go flat. Which then you can tune back up to pitch increasing the tension inside the string scale (where you want the tension to be) so you could relieve fret buzz a little.
Heres a thought for your fret buzz problem, might be obvious but its possible, if you play with quite a low action and your new A string is higher guage than the old one, the extra thickness could be enough to rattle on the frets.

what do you mean you blocked your trem?
either:
1. you have a floyd rose installed and you blocked it so you can't pull the strings sharp
2. you have a normal strat trem and you blocked it so it doesnt move at all...
3. something else

if 1 is true then make sure you still have plenty of tension in the springs, screw the plate thing at the back so it stretches them out a bit

if 2 is true then you dont need springs, take them out, or make sure theyre taught.

youll hear them vibrate on certain frets because the bridge - spring system resonates at that frequency.
new strings always have a different sound until you break them in a little (like a week or 2). i think its because it stretches a little during the 'wont stay in tune long' phase and hence gets slightly thinner.
Last edited by SigSog at May 11, 2011,
Quote by SigSog
Heres a thought for your fret buzz problem, might be obvious but its possible, if you play with quite a low action and your new A string is higher guage than the old one, the extra thickness could be enough to rattle on the frets.

what do you mean you blocked your trem?
either:
1. you have a floyd rose installed and you blocked it so you can't pull the strings sharp
2. you have a normal strat trem and you blocked it so it doesnt move at all...
3. something else

if 1 is true then make sure you still have plenty of tension in the springs, screw the plate thing at the back so it stretches them out a bit

if 2 is true then you dont need springs, take them out, or make sure theyre taught.

youll hear them vibrate on certain frets because the bridge - spring system resonates at that frequency.
new strings always have a different sound until you break them in a little (like a week or 2). i think its because it stretches a little during the 'wont stay in tune long' phase and hence gets slightly thinner.

It's the second. When I read how to do it, no one mentioned taking the springs out?

And I think it's been a week or two, I'm not too sure. The string gauge is the same, I believe.
the purpose of the springs is to counteract the tension of the strings pulling on the bridge, and to pull them back into tune when you use the whammy bar. if you've blocked the bridge then the springs no longer have a purpose because the bridge cant move, so you can take them out, youll have to unscrew the little plate that holds them as that will rattle about without the springs.
Quote by SigSog
the purpose of the springs is to counteract the tension of the strings pulling on the bridge, and to pull them back into tune when you use the whammy bar. if you've blocked the bridge then the springs no longer have a purpose because the bridge cant move, so you can take them out, youll have to unscrew the little plate that holds them as that will rattle about without the springs.

I read in a magazine it keeps the "twang"
try it without them if you dont like it, just put 3 in, keep them tight they shouldnt rattle.

Why did you block the bridge anyway? if you have a couple of springs in the back nice and tight and you unscrew the whammy bar itll never move, thats how i use mine, no tuning probs or anything. and i would think that way would keep more twang.

if you havnt had the whammy bar in before you blocked it, have you noticed any difference?
reason i ask is when you said about reading how to do it i assume you researched some befits of having a fixed bridge. im currently building a guitar and i planned to put in a floating bridge.
Quote by SigSog
try it without them if you dont like it, just put 3 in, keep them tight they shouldnt rattle.

Why did you block the bridge anyway? if you have a couple of springs in the back nice and tight and you unscrew the whammy bar itll never move, thats how i use mine, no tuning probs or anything. and i would think that way would keep more twang.

if you havnt had the whammy bar in before you blocked it, have you noticed any difference?
reason i ask is when you said about reading how to do it i assume you researched some befits of having a fixed bridge. im currently building a guitar and i planned to put in a floating bridge.

I never used my whammy really, and I had a string snap on me just before a solo, chucking all my strings out of tune, making the solo and the rest of the song awful.

Since the block, the stability of the tuning is exceptional, only changing when there's a dramatic difference in temperature. I can't say about the sustain, I don't have any recordings to compare or anything, plus I don't know if it's just a placebo effect. What I can say, is that it seems a lot better, you can feel every note in the body resonating.

Anyway, the spring buzz doesn't concern me, I still have the rattle. Any thoughts?
well i was given a les paul copy last year and the b string rattled really bad, turned out it was a worn nut. strat nuts arent that hard to change, you can pull the old one out (sometimes in bits) with pliers, and new ones are like £2 on ebay.
i know what the spring problem is... only thing left. are they sitting very close to the wood underneath? they will vibrate when you play, might be close enough to touch something when they do.
actually just looked at mine, its more likely theyll touch the side. if so just change the holes they sit in, it doesnt matter if they sit diagonally.

check the saddle on the a string too. might be something up with that