Alrighty, so Im going to begin turning my strat copy into a fully customized instrument, and I'll be adding abalone inlays to the body/ headstock.

I have access to a router, so thats not a problem...here is my main question

Can I use a drill press to presisly drill the crappy fake mother-of-pearl out of the fret board? fretboard is Rosewood, maple neck..if that makes any difference....

Im fairly certain it can be done, I was just wondering if I'm right and if there are any tips from those of you who have done it before....

There is a strip of wood runing up the back of the neck...I would assume truss rod channel..but I'm not sure...could I route this partially and put abalone here too?
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Last edited by Controlpanel at May 11, 2011,
if you were presice with the drilling by marking the center of the fret markers. you'd probably have to be carefull to not drill too deep either and end up going throught the fretboard and into the neck itself. personally if i was going to be routing the board id just leave them in and let the router take care of them
I wont be routing the fretboard..because it already has the frets in..I just want abalone dots in the fretboard to match the abalone inlays that will be on the body....
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

thnaks mate..I will definatly try that..anyone know anything about the strip down the back of the neck?
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

thats what i assumed..but I thought that trussrods were laid underr the FB and then the FB was glued on? Alot of natural fnished guitars I've seen dont have the srtip down the back of the nek...will routing this out about .05" compromise the structuarl integrity of the neck?
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Its called a skunk stripe, it is indeed where the truss rod goes in some guitars, and honestly I wouldn't route anywhere near it. Personally speaking.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Controlpanel
I wont be routing the fretboard..because it already has the frets in..I just want abalone dots in the fretboard to match the abalone inlays that will be on the body....

ah right, i thought you meant you were going to do some fancier inlays
Quote by callumbloodpuke
ah right, i thought you meant you were going to do some fancier inlays

well...sorta...just replaing the stupid white dots with Abalone

Quote by Wisthekiller
I don't think abalone is as flexible as wood so if you decide to change tunings or gauge it may pop out weird/crack also.

I've seen martins and others with this inly right up the "skunk stripe"...how does theirs not crack/pop??

Thanks guys
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers