A friendly reminder, suggesting illegal downloading/torrenting isn't allowed

It seems like everyday, I see more and more suggestions for people to illegally download software on this board. It is against the rules on this board and you will get warned/banned for it. I'm not a mod but I'm just saying so before the mods get on people.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
you're probably talking about me telling someone that they can find torrents for ezdrummer.

i said, "ezdrummer costs like $150 last time i checked but you can find a torrent easily"

just a technicality but i didnt tell him to download something illegally, i told him that he could.

it may be implied but i didnt actually tell him to do it.

also, gtfo its not your place to enforce the rules.
no, but it is my place to. and guess what? when i see stuff like your post, i warn for it. the point behind your post is to say that it can be torrented, with the implication that its a good idea. youll get a warning for that crap, and dont try the "but i didnt tell him too" card since it wont work.

dont complain about a friendly reminder from lockwolf, because my reminders come in your email and arent so friendly.
I was trying to tell people in that Why is EZDrummer so expensive thread, my post went completely unnoticed obviously.
I made the terrible mistake of mentioning the "P" word a while back and that on top of another warning=60 days UGless for me...

I'd post more details about my previous situation but I'm afraid it would cause more problems.
This goes to show how serious mods are about the "P" word. If the law finds out that we are suggesting and talking about illegal topics, UG could get into major trouble.
Don't suggest it for the sake of UG.

That's what I have to say on the topic.
..I was watching my death.
Well, that sorts out our latest wannabe-hotheaded smartar$e...

Go back a bit and the only people arguing were arguing for a decent reason/discussion... talking of controversy - anyone seen/heard from Emily (Tech. Type) lately? She appears to have disappeared from the boards Even Chris is posting less these days (if it was possible for him to actually post less )
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
talking of controversy - anyone seen/heard from Emily (Tech. Type) lately?

Not to be creepy stalky on her but it looks like she was on yesterday since she added a few friends according to my stream
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by timbit2006
If the law finds out that we are suggesting and talking about illegal topics, UG could get into major trouble.
Don't suggest it for the sake of UG..

Telling people that software is piratable if they so choose is not illegal, and will not get UG in trouble, seeing as their official (and enforced) policy is against torrenting.
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.
I would consider examining illegal downloading as similar to someone walking into your home and stealing your favorite piece of musical equipment. Sure, it may be a "convenient" and "cost-free" way to gain access to a piece of music gear (let's say this is in regards to any sort of music software) that may (or may not) be pricey. That is not to say it is acceptable, as someone is losing out. Whether that someone is a corporation, or an individual who gets paid to develop software; the money lost is a lot in the long run, especially when many people are torrenting.

Additionally, most software VSTs (and similar) are not really that expensive given how much you can do. 100-150 for EZ Drummer is not a lot, and I say this as someone who uses it regularly. I do find the 700 price tag of Spectrasonics Omnisphere to be atrocious however, and therefore I do not buy it (nor do I torrent it). There are other products on the market to make up for it.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Quote by jof1029
no, but it is my place to. and guess what? when i see stuff like your post, i warn for it. the point behind your post is to say that it can be torrented, with the implication that its a good idea. youll get a warning for that crap, and dont try the "but i didnt tell him too" card since it wont work.

dont complain about a friendly reminder from lockwolf, because my reminders come in your email and arent so friendly.

+1 .... 100%

Lockwolf - No, you're not a mod, but your advice and caution is no less valid. It was well placed and well-timed.

Disarm - I'm back... sorta been getting slapped in the head by real life lately. Nothing bad, just no time on line.

LastSlayerKing - no, just like if someone told you to go kill somebody, that probably wouldn't be illegal either. Imagine the scene in the courtroom... "Yeah, that guy on the internet told me to do it." LOL. Whether telling someone to do it is illegal or not is not the point. The point is enforcing an environment and a culture of "doing the right thing."

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
+1 .... 100%

Lockwolf - No, you're not a mod, but your advice and caution is no less valid. It was well placed and well-timed.

Disarm - I'm back... sorta been getting slapped in the head by real life lately. Nothing bad, just no time on line.

LastSlayerKing - no, just like if someone told you to go kill somebody, that probably wouldn't be illegal either. Imagine the scene in the courtroom... "Yeah, that guy on the internet told me to do it." LOL. Whether telling someone to do it is illegal or not is not the point. The point is enforcing an environment and a culture of "doing the right thing."

CT

It was in response to the claim that ug will get in trouble if pirating advice was given. They won't. I still just use free vsts though, disagree with piracy.
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.