Page 1 of 5
Let's get some rec's/discussions up in here.

Some essentials, by no means limited to these.
7 Angels 7 Plagues - Jhazmyne's Lullaby
Architects - Nightmares
Botch - American Nervoso
Buried Alive - Last Rites
Buried Inside - Chronoclast
Burnt By The Sun - Soundtrack To The Personal Revolution
Cave In – Until Your Heart Stops
Chokehold - Content With Dying
Coalesce - Last Call For The Living
Converge - Jane Doe
Counterparts- Prophets
Deadguy - Fixation On A Co-Worker
Disembodied - Diablerie, If Only God Knew the Rest Were Dead and Existence in Suicide
Drowning Man - Don't Touch Us When We're Hot
Every Time I Die - Hot Damn!
Fear Before the March of Flames - Art Damage
Indecision - Unorthodox
Integrity – Humanity is the Devil
Kiss It Goodbye - She Loves Me, She Loves Me Not
Knut - Challenger
Left for Dead - Splitting Heads
Misery Signals - Of Malice And The Magnum Heart
Norma Jean - O'God The Aftermath
Poison The Well - The Opposite Of December
Premonitions of War - Left in Kowloon
Racetraitor - Burn the Idol of the White Messiah
Rosesdead - Stages
Shai Hulud - Hopes Once Nourished With Hope And Compassion
SikTh - The Trees Are Dead & Dried Out Wait for Something Wild
Skycamefalling - 10.21
Systral - Black Smoker
Taken - Finding Solace In Dissension
Tears of Gaia – Burial
The Chariot - Everything Is Alive, Everything Is Breathing, Nothing Is Dead, and Nothing Is Bleeding
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity
The End - Transfer Trachea Reverberations from Point: False Omniscient
The Secret - Luce
The Swarm - Parasitic Skies and Old Blue Eyes is Dead
Unbroken - Life. Love. Regret.
Underoath - Define The Great Line
Undying - At History's End
Volumes- The Concept Of Dreaming
Last edited by FirstCall at May 11, 2011,
I don't think I would count SikTh or TDEP into essential metalcore. But I'll agree on the rest. You could also throw a couple of what the kids consider "nu-metalcore" records in there too. Like an early Unearth or Shadows Fall record. I mean, if Underoath's Define The Great Line is in there, might as well throw a few more of those in there.
Haha, I only recognized one of the bands in the list:p
Funny to see people saying that they know what's metalcore or not.
Kinda like saying "I'm right, you're wrong".
I don't say that I have a better idea of genres, but I have considered As I Lay Dying as Metalcore, or is that completely stupid?
Quote by punkforlife93
I like Underoath. One of the few numetalcore bands that truly knows their shit...too bad every Christian band and their grandma rips them off.

Out of all of the numetalcore bands, they're the only ones who I think could possibly take influence from real metalcore and continue to know what they're doing.

EDIT: ^ "The I'm right and you're wrong thing" is based on pure genre fact. Metalcore is already a well defined genre, and what you're thinking of is called numetalcore in some places because it really doesn't carry many similar qualities of metalcore. And no, AILD is not metalcore.
Last edited by BK202 at May 11, 2011,
That's numetalcore. So yeah, we're right, you're wrong.

Underoath technically doesn't belong on that list I guess...though Define comes close, it's kinda on the line. *pun*

EDIT: Agreed.
Good thread backed hard. Someone should just make a numetalcore thread and get it stickied at the top so people know the difference. Probably lock it after a while
I'm an asshole.
^That'd probably be a helpful idea.

And no matter what I can't figure out how to get into this music but I feel like I'm missing out, so could someone tell me a good starting point on Metalcore?
Quote by BK202
Out of all of the numetalcore bands, they're the only ones who I think could possibly take influence from real metalcore and continue to know what they're doing.

Meh. I could argue that TDWP probably could now (and very well might be on their next album) but they have too rough of a history for me to seriously come out and say that.

EDIT: Also Volumes isn't metalcore, they're that annoying genre name that will remain unnamed.
love is love // return to dust
Last edited by tancanada at May 11, 2011,
Quote by tancanada
Meh. I could argue that TDWP probably could now (and very well might be on their next album) but they have too rough of a history for me to seriously come out and say that.

EDIT: Also Volumes isn't metalcore, they're that annoying genre name that will remain unnamed.

You mean Groove-core? but I second the person who said to explain the differences between Metalcore(The above listed) and bands that get confused for Metalcore in a thread such as this.
Quote by jetfuel495
You know, this could be a great guide to get people into real metalcore.

It could.

But it won't.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Be optimistic all you want.

That list is flawed and we both know better.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by nashawa
Be optimistic all you want.

That list is flawed and we both know better.

True, but, it's a good starting place. We can rebuild it. Make it better. We have the power and the technology.

In fact, we can start a new one from scratch if we want to, I still think it would be a good idea to have a beginner's guide to metalcore in here.
I'm not a huge fan of the prevailing attitude that getting into metallic hardcore is the holy grail of music listening and that enjoying the newer style of metalcore is nothing more than an adolescent fad that will fade away as soon as one "matures" enough to appreciate "real" metalcore. I've listened to Converge, Botch, Poison the Well, etc. on several occasions and I simply don't understand what it is about them that makes people act so snobby. I find the vocals almost universally bad and the music ranges from boring to mediocre. I don't mind other people listening to it but some of you are pretty damn patronizing about it.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by jetfuel495

In fact, we can start a new one from scratch if we want to, I still think it would be a good idea to have a beginner's guide to metalcore in here.

I support this, it could replace one of the stickies.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by GodofCheesecake
I'm not a huge fan of the prevailing attitude that getting into metallic hardcore is the holy grail of music listening and that enjoying the newer style of metalcore is nothing more than an adolescent fad that will fade away as soon as one "matures" enough to appreciate "real" metalcore. I've listened to Converge, Botch, Poison the Well, etc. on several occasions and I simply don't understand what it is about them that makes people act so snobby. I find the vocals almost universally bad and the music ranges from boring to mediocre. I don't mind other people listening to it but some of you are pretty damn patronizing about it.

Well yes, if you don't like those bands it makes sense that you wouldn't get it.

I can honestly say I don't care what kind of metalcore people listen to, but I can also honestly say that stuff like Asking Alexandria (and even stuff like BoO) is our generation's disco. There will be people that will always like it, but it'll die out soon enough as a style.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by GodofCheesecake

For the record, I probably listen to more modern metalcore than old-school metalcore.

It's just that after cleaning columns so long I get sick of hearing what people think is metalcore. if you show those kinds of people modern metalcore, they'll never listen and they'll just claim everything they hear is an ATG ripoff, regardless of whether it is or not. If you show them old school metalcore, they drop the "wannabe metal" attitude.
The thing is, while out of all the older metalcore bands I only actively listen to Converge and Shai hulud, I respect the rest, which is something I can not say about any numetalcore band.

I like I respect Burzum even if I've only really gotten into one album so far.

Considering I used to listen to Unearth in high school I think it is a part of musical maturity.
well admitting it is the first step
I don't really care what you listen to, as long as you're not ignorant about it - yes I mean ignorant not arrogant.
I'm very much a noob at metalcore. They only band I listen to in this genre is Converge. I don't want to listen to every band in that list right now, but if someone could suggest a few essential ones, I'd be happy to listen to them.
Quote by nashawa
I can honestly say I don't care what kind of metalcore people listen to, but I can also honestly say that stuff like Asking Alexandria (and even stuff like BoO) is our generation's disco. There will be people that will always like it, but it'll die out soon enough as a style.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that I didn't think some of it is just trendy garbage (AA included). I was speaking on behalf of the metalcore bands that I think put actual work, passion, and emotion into their music, and which I'm sure are overlooked by people who stubbornly sneer at anything that isn't as hardcore influenced as it is metalcore influenced. I feel like the people who don't understand those bands are missing out as much from my point of view as I am from their point of view for not liking Converge.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
I agree with Will (name right) a bit. Although some of its good, and some of its bad, just like any other genre.

EDIT: Agree more with the post above this.

I like some "numetalcore" or whatever you guys what to call it (August Burns Red, Counterparts, Architects, Periphery) and then I like some regular metalcore (ETID, The Chariot, etc.)

I think stuff like Asking Alexandria and Attack Attack should just have its own genre, like popcore or something stupid like that.
Quote by due 07
I'm very much a noob at metalcore. They only band I listen to in this genre is Converge. I don't want to listen to every band in that list right now, but if someone could suggest a few essential ones, I'd be happy to listen to them.

Converge and Botch and Shai hulud.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that I didn't think some of it is just trendy garbage (AA included). I was speaking on behalf of the metalcore bands that I think put actual work, passion, and emotion into their music, and which I'm sure are overlooked by people who stubbornly sneer at anything that isn't as hardcore influenced as it is metalcore influenced. I feel like the people who don't understand those bands are missing out as much from my point of view as I am from their point of view for not liking Converge.

What are some examples of those bands?
Quote by nashawa

This is the best explanation I've ever heard for something this. Backed. Hard.
While we're on it, I think numetalcore should be considered a legitimate label. I don't even see it as a derogatory term, it just makes it easier to define the sound. I agree the ABR and AA aren't the same thing, but I also think neither of them sound like actual metalcore.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by Kyle<3
Except disco was much more popular haha.

No it wasn't.

Everyone loves Asking Alexandria for some reason.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by Kyle<3

I like some "numetalcore" or whatever you guys what to call it (August Burns Red, Counterparts, Architects, Periphery) and then I like some regular metalcore (ETID, The Chariot, etc.)

I don't really think those bands constitute ("90s") metalcore really, one's southern which seems to be a side branch of numetalcore, and the chariot is just...bleck.
Quote by technicolour
I don't really think those bands constitute ("90s") metalcore really, one's southern which seems to be a side branch of numetalcore, and the chariot is just...bleck.

ETID is much closer to old school metalcore... The Chariot is sweet but they are newer, so I mean those are just the ones I personally enjoy... I know Botch, Converge, whatever are more 90s metalcore.
Page 1 of 5