I find it easier (and faster) to use a double bass drum when my toes are curled up in my shoes.

Has anyone else done/noticed this?

Yes, everybody, i know this isn't "proper technique", that's why i'm asking.
Quote by Kilty Boxers
So i suppose 2+2=4 is a stereotype as well?

Hooray For Canada.
Last edited by smcstoronto1234 at May 11, 2011,
I was under the impression that you're supposed to use the ball of your foot to hit the pedals.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
yea, if your not using "proper technique"

are you keeping your heels planted on the pedals or are you lifting your knees?

you wont be able to hit the drums hard(or for very long for that matter) if your just using your ankles to push the pedals
I noticed I used to do the same thing, including when I was playing with only one bass pedal. Still, I don't know if it is proper technique (I don't think so), but I made sure to stop it. I get tired less.
Quote by Victory2134
You're just so energetic and cute. Exactly what I want in a pet squirrel, except you're a person.

I kindly ask you to correct my grammar. And also to smile.
It's fine for a while, but curling up your toes for a 4 hour gig doesn't sound very pleasant.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Curling your toes does sound painful. I lift my toes up. Are you curling your under your feet?

Quote by rickyj
yea, if your not using "proper technique"

are you keeping your heels planted on the pedals or are you lifting your knees?

you wont be able to hit the drums hard(or for very long for that matter) if your just using your ankles to push the pedals

I don't really agree with you here. Double kick drumming almost always gets quieter as it gets faster, simply because playing really fast means the head of the beater never gets that far away from the drum head, meaning less power and less volume. That's one reason some people use triggers - to even out the volume. Also, I do fast double kicks flexing from the ankles, and I can do it for a whole set or rehearsal. It's how I've always done them, I never got tired fast. I keep my heels up off the pedals though. I don't know if that would make a difference.
Last edited by FrauVfromPoB at May 28, 2011,
I'll do it when I want to blast. My toes naturally curl up when I kick REALLY fast. But aside from that - never.
RIP Tom Searle.