Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Last edited by Strat007 at May 11, 2011,
Nerds can have social skills too.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
ITT: mad stereotyping by TS that nerds arent social
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
The definition of the word "nerd" has changed, in my opinion. I think of nerds as more low-life people, like this one creepy guy and friends at my school. They all do bad in school and are just bad kids, and we all call them nerds. Where as the popular fags and them all do well in school and are still bad kids, are popular.
What stops nerds being social?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I am super nerdy and very much outgoing. I love socializing and I get a long with almost anyone.
I'm a nerd. However, I'm pretty social, and I have friends who could be considered athletes and not nerds. And then I have friends who are as nerdy as they come.

Although, I prefer the term "geek" more. It's a bit more distinguished, and socially exceptable today.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Last edited by IMABBALLPLAYER at May 11, 2011,
I haven't heard that term spoken more than 5 times in my life. I'm surrounded by smart people with individual qualities. They aren't nerds.

I think of the term to apply to people who appear smart and passionate but are really unable to like what they enjoy for any reason beyond its surface. You know, kind of like mindless fanboyism (which is the opposite of what you're talking about). I think those terms have become pretty much synonymous in my own experience.
Depends on how you define a nerd. Weird antisocial personalities obviously will have more of a hard time than a stupid jock who has social skills would. but I find that I know plenty of intellectuals who are athletic and social. Seems that being well rounded would do the trick, but then again just doing what you like to do, if you like football you will be more social playing football etc. etc.
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
It depends on what kind of nerd. If you're smart but just quirky, you can go far.

But if you're the kind of nerd who is timid, submissive, and lack confidence, no amount of technical knowledge is going to make you into someone of importance and greatness*

*except if you are a super once-in-a-lifetime genius in the field of science.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
You would think that's a given, if nerd means more knowledgeable, or "smart".
And who says nerds can't have a social life?
I'm nearly as nerdy as they get at my school (two of my best friends are above me, one of which I built my first computer with). All of us get a long well with everyone, and I won friendliest out of the whole grade.
No shit?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
No shit?

I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Well I don't think just having good grades makes you a nerd. I do well in school, but I'd say nerds are people who really try and study hard
I've never seen a homeless nerd before. So yeah...
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
It's funny how the nerds are picked on by the football douches in highschool, but 10-15 years later, it's the nerd at the head office of the corporation and the football douches in the cubicles.
I'm pretty sure that if I used the definition "gets good grades in school", I'd be a nerd. However, anyone who knows me knows I'm not a nerd. Take that as you will.
And don't sit here and feed me this line of "nerds are the guys who actually study". Yeah, try not studying in college. You'll be begging someone for a job, when you have no degree (and therefore are less likely to get the job than a person who has a degree), if you never study.

The point is it's not being nerdy that makes you successful. It's working hard.
Quote by TomusAM
It's funny how the nerds are picked on by the football douches in highschool, but 10-15 years later, it's the nerd at the head office of the corporation and the football douches in the cubicles.

What is even funnier is your delusion.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

You're right, football players could never be smart enough to work in cubicles.
Quote by TomusAM

I have a feeling that's a stereotype. In my school at least, most groups are pretty chill with eachother.
Quote by WizMystery
You're right, football players could never be smart enough to work in cubicles.

In all likelihood, the football player is the nerd's manager.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana

¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Xiaoxi
In all likelihood, the football player is the nerd's manager.

I rest my case.
Quote by Xiaoxi

Football douche detected.
:P
WE ARE THE NIGHTMARE
Quote by benn913
I have a feeling that's a stereotype. In my school at least, most groups are pretty chill with eachother.

Yeah, it's a pretty generic stereotype. It's mostly common on TV shows and what not. I think more times then not, groups are pretty cool to one another in real life.
Quote by WizMystery
I rest my case.

Yes, they may not be as booksmart or technically proficient as a "nerd". But they have the drive and confidence to boss other people around and be the dominant player. TomusAM, through his cringe inducing romantic cliché, hopes that life will somehow balance the karma between the dynamics of the jock and the nerd. But that isn't so. If the nerd never rise above his bully, he will never rise above in the real world either. A successful jock may stop being a bully, but he will undoubtedly be a more valuable and important asset than the former nerds he oversees.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yes, they may not be as booksmart or technically proficient as a "nerd". But they have the drive and confidence to boss other people around and be the dominant player. TomusAM, through his cringe inducing romantic cliché, hopes that life will somehow balance the karma between the dynamics of the jock and the nerd. But that isn't so. If the nerd never rise above his bully, he will never rise above in the real world either. A successful jock may stop being a bully, but he will undoubtedly be a more valuable and important asset than the former nerds he oversees.

I was joking.

The bullies in my school aren't even football players. They're the losers that don't get involved in anything. Hell, one of the smartest kids in my [2 years advanced] math class is on the football team. He never bullied anyone in his life. Obviously he's going places.
Quote by WizMystery
I was joking.

The bullies in my school aren't even football players. They're the losers that don't get involved in anything. Hell, one of the smartest kids in my [2 years advanced] math class is on the football team. He never bullied anyone in his life. Obviously he's going places.

Obviously I was using the most basic stereotypes, but you really can break down how people turn out based on these two simple contrasts of essential characteristics. The most unfortunate and dangerous thing is that a lot of people actually DO think their oppressive childhood will somehow be rewarded in their adulthood by playing by the rules and reading all the textbooks. It's becoming increasingly clear to me that life doesn't work this way in the least.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by WizMystery
I was joking.

This. I really hope no one takes any highschool stereotypes seriously.
You either have to be a big-talking social-butterfly or a nerdy shut-in to be successful. Those of us who are in between are doomed to a life of mediocrity.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Obviously I was using the most basic stereotypes, but you really can break down how people turn out based on these two simple contrasts of essential characteristics. The most unfortunate and dangerous thing is that a lot of people actually DO think their oppressive childhood will somehow be rewarded in their adulthood by playing by the rules and reading all the textbooks. It's becoming increasingly clear to me that life doesn't work this way in the least.

Well not in black and white, of course. If there were no bullies I suspect everything would just be left to intellect like it should. Nerds wouldn't be so supressed if they didn't fear ridicule everyday. And if you think about it, bullying is the result of insecurity, so really the bullies are just as insecure as the nerds. They're more outgoing, but they put on such a false display that their future's certainty is almost dependent on how fake of a person they are. The bully jock isn't going to get that far, but the smart respecting jock will, so in a way that does free up those positions for the nerds.
ITT:

a bunch of nerds/geeks agreeing with this so they could have some faith in the future

A lot of the nerds/geeks I knew in high school weren't anti-conforming people. They just conformed to different things. Do you really think wearing a nirvana shit with your little spike wrist bands and bullet belts/ties etc is original? Just because they think lady gaga/dr dre is crap, that doesn't make them anti-conformists, it just means they conformed to less popular values.

This being said I was not a nerd or a jock in highschool, some would have called me a metal head, but I never slapped a label on myself

In the real world, being social/proactive/confident in your abilities will trump being "different" all the time. If you can't sell yourself right or simply don't have the balls to cast out your nets to begin with, you won't be very successful and from the stereotype of a nerd, this is something they lack
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more