Hi there, I'm going to be starting new on the electric guitar, basically on saturday I am going to browse some telecasters on denmark street and I just ordered a roland cube 15xl due to alot of reccomendations.

Just so I don't feel like I have made the wrong choice, can someone from the forum give me an idea on how this amp will be for a starter? I know I could just google it but I figured maybe someone with experience on the amp section would have better knowledge of it :p.

PS: I plan to play alternative rock, and even though the telecaster single coils might not help me there I think I can manage, seeing as the deluxe 72 is like £700 :'(.
A cube is a great starting point for electric guitar. Nice array of sounds and whatnot for youth play with.

The only other thing I could recommend (with personal experience, unlike most) are the Peavey Vypyr and the Vox VT series.
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
People say the Cubes are great, but I'm not a big fan.

However, I own a cube 15 and I know for a fact it's a piece of garbage. It lacks the modelling and the effects that every other Cube has, and in the end all it has is a sterile clean sound and 4 unusable overdrive tones. Seeing as I play alternative rock as well, I'd recommend cancelling the order and getting a Fender Mustang or a Vox Valvetronix for the same price. It'd suit you much much better.
^ +1

or step up to the cube 30x. Or maybe also consider a peavey vypyr.

I mean I like the cube 30. I hated the cube 15.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oh damn I will try cancel it then, I was looking for a 30 but I can't find any in stock!

EDIT: They took payment and I can't seem to cancel it anywhere, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to notice anything bad about it for a long time (I hope )
Last edited by I-Heart-Guitar at May 11, 2011,
Yeah they have an email I have to contact for cancellations or returns, I will probably give it a go and if I don't like it just sell it off and buy a better amp, never know what I might think of it.
Dude why did you order 15xl?? why didn't you go for 20xl or 40xl?
they got epic effects and models.
15xl doesn't have any effects.
Quote by Unicronus
i would recomend blackstar amps

What a general and ignorant comment.

That's like saying "I'd recommend Chevrolet cars" when someone is asking if their Yamaha motorcycle they just ordered is good or not. It's not relevant whatsoever.

>Implying that all Blackstar amps are of equal quality. (and they're not...the HT-5 is worse than the HT-1, HT-20, HT-40, 60, and thats not even taking into account the other SERIES of Blackstar amps.)
>Implying that a Blackstar amp is in any way similar to a modeling amp like the Cube 15.
>Implying that your comment would help the OP in any way whatsoever.

just sayin

To the OP, the Cube 15 is worse in almost every way (in my experience and from a technical standpoint) than any of the other Cube amps including the Micro Cube. I'd honestly just send it back/sell it off and get a Vypyr or a better Cube model. The new Cube 20 is great and so is the Micro Cube.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Last edited by Ayses at May 12, 2011,
people keep recommending the vypyr, but TS plays alternative rock, not metal like 85% of the forum. The Vypyr is nice for high-gain sounds, but lacks cleans and crunches, for which the Valvetronix and Mustang are sooo much better.
A Vox AC4 might be amazing for you as well..
Quote by Darkflame
people keep recommending the vypyr, but TS plays alternative rock, not metal like 85% of the forum. The Vypyr is nice for high-gain sounds, but lacks cleans and crunches, for which the Valvetronix and Mustang are sooo much better.

This is true
I heard a demo of a vypyr where someone put a tube screamer on a "clean" amp model and it sounded like it got hit with a boss metal zone..
Quote by Darkflame
The Vypyr definitely doesn't lack clean tones at all. The Twin, Deluxe and Plexi all sound fantastic and definitely rival the VT. Can't really comment on the Mustang because I've only played one once but it didn't seem that far ahead of the Vypyr, if at all. Not sure where you're getting that.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Last edited by Ayses at May 12, 2011,
I dunno i think a vox would have nicer cleans and crunches then the vypyr tbh.

Hell even the cubes have a really nice JC clean sound.
The Vox DEFINITELY has better crunch. I can agree with you there. That's the one thing that the Vypyr is lacking in IMO. But the clean and high gain are both great. If the OP isn't EVER going to play anything as heavy/heavier than Metallica, then I'd recommend the VT. If he is, then I'd recommend the Vypyr.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
it doesn't matter if they've taken payment, by law you can cancel an internet purchase (in the EU) up to 7 working days after you've taken delivery (there are some exceptions, custom-made products and stuff like that, but they don't affect the cube).

If you really want to cancel it just email them and tell them and they will- they'd rather cancel now (presumably) than go through the whole rigmarole of sending it out and having to accept the return etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?